Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-23-07, 02:14 PM   #1
MCMcButtah

Default Anyone get smooth video playback with beryl? Is it possible?

Video playback is slow when I use beryl. It happens with both HD and SD content. It looks good, and there is no tearing, but it just has this general slugishness to the video especially when panning.

I have been beating my head against the wall trying to make this work for a month now (because I really like beryl) , but I am gettiong no where.

Can someone just tell me if they have actually gotten smooth video playback? I just need to know if it is possible or I should just stop trying for now.

My System:

Core 2 duo 6400
2 gig ddr800
GeForce 7900GS

Thanks for any insight.
MCMcButtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-07, 03:05 PM   #2
piotrq__

Default Re: Anyone get smooth video playback with beryl? Is it possible?

Any details? Like what player are you using, what's your distro, graphics driver, beryl version, dump of config options. If it's MPlayer that you use, then post us an output from mplayer -v your_movie.
piotrq__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-07, 03:26 PM   #3
MCMcButtah

I am at work right now and can't get all those details, but I will post that info tonight. Sorry, I know I am supposed to post details but I was just curious to see if anyone has gotten video to play smoothly for now so I at least know its possible.

In case I wasn't clear about it in my first post I just want to mention that when I am not using beryl video is very smooth with or without using XVMC.

I will post my configs this evening.
Old 03-23-07, 03:36 PM   #4
piotrq__

My config is MUCH slower (in theory ;-) ) than yours, I've got aDuron o/ced to 1800, GF 6800XT and 512 RAM. Video playback is super-smooth for me, I'm using MPlayer from svn and an svn Beryl with latest nvidia driver, and I'm using default -vo xv as my video output driver. I can even apply post-procssing effects via Beryl such as blur, transparency, inverted colours and stuff, wobble the window around, minimize/maximize and the playback will remain just as smooth as without it.
piotrq__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-07, 03:45 PM   #5
MCMcButtah

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotrq__
My config is MUCH slower (in theory ;-) ) than yours, I've got aDuron o/ced to 1800, GF 6800XT and 512 RAM. Video playback is super-smooth for me, I'm using MPlayer from svn and an svn Beryl with latest nvidia driver, and I'm using default -vo xv as my video output driver. I can even apply post-procssing effects via Beryl such as blur, transparency, inverted colours and stuff, wobble the window around, minimize/maximize and the playback will remain just as smooth as without it.
Thank you for your response. Knowing that this is a solvable problem is of great help. I will post my configs tonight.