Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-26-07, 08:38 PM   #1
generaleskimo

Default NEED HELP GF7600GS on openSUSE 10.2

Ok, I need Help with GF7600GS on openSUSE 10.2. I am a fairly new linux user, and this is the first time I have tried openSUSE. I installed openSUSE 10.2 on a machine. At the end of the install (to my surprise), it told me that my graphics card, which it correctly identified as a GeForce 7600GS, was not in its list of supported cards (even though they list it as supported online).

On this page was the resolution/monitor configuration. No matter what resolution I set it to (even if it was the same resolution as the one displaying on the screen), when I told it to "test settings", the screen would go black. On the CRT I used originally, the monitor said something about the frequency being out of range. I tried it on 3 different CRT's, and they all said either this, or just went completely black (sleeping). When I tried it on a Dell LCD monitor, it also just went black. I was able to skip this page, as no resolution worked, and continued to the desktop. When trying to configure the resolution correctly through the GNOME interface, I had the same results with all monitors I tried on. I then tried to install the drivers. I successfully obtained the drivers, as the NVIDIA guide said to do, and they seemed to be installed on my system. I rebooted to allow them to take effect, but when I opened it up again, nothing seemed to have changed. YasT lists both packages as installed, but when I configure my graphics card, it still says that it is not on the supported list and that it does not have a driver. I tried to configure XGL, but it had an error every time. Then, when I went to configure the graphics card/monitor again, most of the resolution choices yielded the same error message as before, saying that SaX2 had run successfully, but no response from Xgl. I continued trying different resolutions until one (I don't remember which) caused my screen to go completely back again. I didn't remember the ctrl+alt+backspace command, and I didn't want to wait for it to default to my old resolution (1024x768, which doesn't work even if I try using it). So, I hit "enter". My screen returned instantly telling me that my settings had been saved!!!

Later, when I was trying to re-install the NVIDIA drivers again, I went into runlevel 3. However, I had forgotten that my new settings had been "saved". Upon reaching runlevel 3, my screen went black. Now, whenever I boot the computer in openSUSE, THE SCREEN GOES BLACK AS SOON AS I REACH SHELL. I have no problem with re-installing SUSE, but I need help installing these drivers.

Please help me.
generaleskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-07, 09:25 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: NEED HELP GF7600GS on openSUSE 10.2

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46678
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-07, 02:53 PM   #3
generaleskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
Ok, that is completely useless. I have already read that. Did you read my post? I have searched for a thread with the same problem: no such thread exists. So, I gave you a detailed description of the problem.

I have done everything it says, to the point that it is possible. I believe I gave a very detailed description of the issue. I would give you bug reports and installer logs, but I CAN NO LONGER REACH SHELL IN SUSE!!!

Can someone please help.
generaleskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 05:58 AM   #4
mbnik

Hi generaleskimo,

i have got the same problems with my suse10.2 and and GF7600GS Card, but i could solve any things.

If i try to run my system with the glx module, it runs 10 secons in grapic mode and then it is froozen.

However my card is running in 1280x1024 on a Sony Flat screen, without the glx support.

What i did:

first: i loadet down from nvidia the booth driver rpmīs for the 7600GS
x11-video-nvidia-1.0.9631-0.1.i586.rpm, x11-video-nvidia-1.0.9631-0.1.i586.rpm
and installed he with yast.

second: i loadet down from nvidia the driver: NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9755-pkg1.run.
As root in runlevel 3, i start the nvidia pkg and it compiles the module and installed it.

After init 5 my system was froozen.
(NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9631-pkg1.run does run with the same problems)

third: i start the suse10.2 with init 3, then i edit the file
/etc/X11/xorg.conf, i disabled the line glx.... with #glx... and stored it back.

Section "Module"
Load "extmod"
Load "dbe"
Load "v4l"
Load "type1"
Load "freetype"
#Load "glx"
EndSection

fourth: i initialized runlevel 5 with init 5 and yast could handle the reolutions and my graphic was runnig.

But my problem with the unused 3d glx is not dissoved yet.

greetings
mbnik
mbnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 06:41 AM   #5
hedele

For me the rpms didn't have any effects.

So I have compiled the kernel, which is not really extremely difficult with the NVIDIA-Script NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9631-pkg1.run and can be done in 8 steps I discribed in
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=88898

The most important thing - never mentioned by nVidia - seems to be, that kernel and driver must fit together. On the German site
http://www.chip.de/c1_forum/thread.h...readid=1031674
nearly everybody struggled over this problem. NVidia itself doesn't give any list of compatibility and seems to hide older versions without a reachable table of contents. I had to use Google to find the shell
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9631-pkg1.run
on the us.download.nvidia.com-site.

There is also some good information in
http://en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA
hedele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 07:04 AM   #6
hedele

Post Re: NEED HELP GF7600GS on openSUSE 10.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by generaleskimo
I CAN NO LONGER REACH SHELL IN SUSE!!!
Problem:The monitor remains black after the SaX2 start. Solution: Too high frequencies have been assigned to the monitor so it switches to the stand-by mode.

Try (blind) <CTRL>+<ALT>+<F1> to set X into the background
then type in "root" and press <RETURN>
type in your password and press <RETURN>
then type in "sax2 -l" and press <RETURN>
In this way, SaX2 starts in a 640x480 mode with disabled DDC Probing (automatic monitor detection) and a 60Hz refresh rate.
To get back to X press <CTRL>+<ALT>+<F7>

Good luck!
hedele is offline   Reply With Quote