Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-28-07, 09:58 AM   #25
Marvel_us
FOOL!

Default Re: WARNING!!! Some will be hurt by the truth - Sony on the Xbox 360 Elite announcement

I for one will admit that buying the HD cable separately was a bother. Unless you buy it before hand or spend 100 bucks on one, you have to wait for it to be shipped to you, that sucks.

60gb PS3 Owner
PSNid: Marvel_us
Marvel_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 10:01 AM   #26
LurkerLito

Default Re: WARNING!!! Some will be hurt by the truth - Sony on the Xbox 360 Elite announceme

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangSVT
Not really.

For example I plan to sell my HD-DVD addon (say $100?), and just buy a standalone when the time comes.

The Toshiba HD-A2 has HDMI output and decodes TrueHD and outputs only via HDMI I think (you'd need a receiver that takes PCM via HDMI or something like that), and the Toshiba is $350 at amazon.

Just giving an example, if you want the full HD-DVD experience it's not like you're gonna have to buy a whole new 360. You could just sell the HD DVD drive and get a standalone player, they'll probably come down even further in price.
Actually there are problems with buying a standalone and for me it is shelf space. Selling the HD-DVD addon would be an option if i could actually fit a standalone somewhere. That is why the new 360 is something that appeals to me. Right now my real only option for a standalone is one that is truly universal (DVD-A/SACD/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD/DVD). If one of those comes out then the new 360 doesn't matter, but if it doesn't then the 360's lack of HDMI is going to be a problem when I update my prepro.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 10:02 AM   #27
evilchris

Default Re: WARNING!!! Some will be hurt by the truth - Sony on the Xbox 360 Elite announcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoples-Agent

Since when did it stop being about the games folks? Seriously.... when did that happen?
Since Sony decided that bullet points and useless features made a console good, not games.

The only 360 SKU that should exist is the current premium.
Old 03-28-07, 10:32 AM   #28
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

Default Re: WARNING!!! Some will be hurt by the truth - Sony on the Xbox 360 Elite announceme

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchris
Since Sony decided that bullet points and useless features made a console good, not games.

The only 360 SKU that should exist is the current premium.
Don't get me wrong, I will eventually get a PS3 once decent games come out for it. Good exclusive titles, right now apart from the Hentai wetdreams I speak of, there just is nothing on the horizon to look forward too IMO.

What annoys me more, multi platform titles run worse on the PS3 than the 360 which is beyond a joke. It shouldn't be like that. Atleast with exclusives you can't compare, so feel better about that situation.

If you already have a 360, save your cash and buy a Wii ...if something different is what your after.

If your serious about HD , you wouldn't bother with the PS3 or 360 + HD DVD addon alike anyways.

Pull your finger out Sony, bag some real decent exclusives and ill join the wagon.... till then, 360 all the way.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Peoples-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 10:56 AM   #29
|MaguS|

Sony needs to drop the price of the 60Gb PS3 by $50-$100 now...
Old 03-28-07, 01:00 PM   #30
SebC

The real question is if the system can run 1080p games Although judging from the x360 gpu being better than PS3's I think it could
Old 03-29-07, 12:22 AM   #31
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter Bandit
According to most AV forums and reviews, the PS3 is one of the top rated Blu-Ray players as far as image quality and features are concerned.

And, it is also the cheapest. If you're serious about HD the PS3 is probably going to be the Blu-Ray player you pick up, even if you don't give a damn about playing games.
I love that: "one of the top rated". You can count the BD players out there on one hand. It could be #5 and still " one of the top rated ". This is actually the current order, as far as PQ/AQ:

Sony BDP-S1, Panny, Pioneer Elite, PS3, Samsung.

The PS3 is the 4th best BD player, out of 5.
Old 03-29-07, 07:08 AM   #32
Morrow
Atari STE 4-bit color

Quote:
According to most AV forums and reviews, the PS3 is one of the top rated Blu-Ray players as far as image quality and features are concerned.
Features? The PS3 is completely missing BD Java which is an integral part of BD movies. Upcoming movies will extensively use BD Java and the PS3 will NOT be able to handle all those special features.

Sony has even not yet denied the rumours that it is not possible to patch the PS3 to support BD Java at a later stage, some indicate that hardware changes are required to do so. Of course no one on Sony's side is talking about this...
Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-07, 07:58 AM   #33
thor1182
Spelling Expert?!?

and doesn't the PS3 currently have scaling issues?
-"Aqua 2": Water Cooled Intel i7 960, 12 GB DDR3 PC 12800, 3x Intel X-25-M 80 GB SSD RAID 0, SATA 1.5TB WD, EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Supper Clocked Water Cooled, ASUS P6X58D, Corsair 800D w/ Koolance cooling
thor1182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 08:19 AM   #34
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor1182
and doesn't the PS3 currently have scaling issues?
yep, although they may have been made not so bad ("fixed" isnt a good word here) with updates.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 01:23 PM   #35
Mr_LoL
Bush's Doppleganger

Quote:
Only if you're not running 1080p...and anyone who really cares about Blu-Ray probably isn't trying to watch the movies on a 720p set.
I plan on buying a 720p HDTV. Will I have problems watching movies?
Core i5 2500K@ 4.5, KFA2 GTX 570, Gigabyte Z68, 8GB Corsair XMS 1600MHZ, Antec Truepower New 650w, Coolermaster Storm Sniper, 1TB Samsung F1, Yamakasi Catleap 27", Samsung 245B, Asus Xonar DG...blah blah blah
Mr_LoL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 01:28 PM   #36
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allaahu_Akbar
I plan on buying a 720p HDTV. Will I have problems watching movies?
If your 720p TV won't accept and scale 1080 input to 720, yes. AFAIK