Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-28-07, 02:03 AM   #1
James2424

Default Graphics card and ram questions

ok hi

say you play a game like age of empires three and the game goes slow would it be because of lack of ram or a poor graphics card

do poor graphics card cause games to run slowly or just does it make the game like crappyer graphics?

Would Age of Empires 3 still run as smooth and no laggy if i had a really poor cheapest graphics card or the best you can buy?

what excatly is ram is it to make games run fast ?

and what does Ghz do? Like plentium 4 2.6 Ghz

I have 512 mb ram WoW say i got 504 if i upgrade to like 1.5gb of ram would it stop the problem of age of empires running slow easpecally near water?

by the way my graphics card is Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller so say any thing about it if you want

Thanks and please Reply ASAP
James2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 02:26 AM   #2
methimpikehoses

Default Re: Graphics card and ram questions

You will probably want to buy at least a lower-end graphics card for up to $100
to play AoE3 instead of the onboard graphics you have now.

Something like this will definitely help:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130052

...Check to see if you have an AGP or PCI-express slot on your motherboard first.

And 1GB of RAM will help.

Better CPU + more RAM (up to 2GB) + better GFX card = better performance.
Old 03-28-07, 02:58 AM   #3
Bearclaw

Default Re: Graphics card and ram questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by James2424
ok hi

say you play a game like age of empires three and the game goes slow would it be because of lack of ram or a poor graphics card

do poor graphics card cause games to run slowly or just does it make the game like crappyer graphics?

Would Age of Empires 3 still run as smooth and no laggy if i had a really poor cheapest graphics card or the best you can buy?

what excatly is ram is it to make games run fast ?

and what does Ghz do? Like plentium 4 2.6 Ghz

I have 512 mb ram WoW say i got 504 if i upgrade to like 1.5gb of ram would it stop the problem of age of empires running slow easpecally near water?

by the way my graphics card is Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller so say any thing about it if you want

Thanks and please Reply ASAP
Say you play a game like age of empires three and the game goes slow would it be because of lack of ram or a poor graphics card?
It could be either depending on what part of the game is running slow. For example, in Oblivion, when you are roaming around and you have to see for miles and it is running slow, it is usually the GPU being old/slow, etc. However, when in a city, it is more CPU dependent.

Do poor graphics card cause games to run slowly or just does it make the game like crappyer graphics?
Depending what level graphics settings you have on a "poor" graphics card will cause it too run slowly.

Depends on the other specs in your system. You need to have at least the minimum CPU, GPU, and RAM requirements, etc. You can have the best graphics card in the world but if you have an older CPU and only 256/512 RAM then it won't help you out all that much.

What excatly is ram is it to make games run fast ?
The more RAM you have in your computer the more applications you can run. Every application that runs on your computer takes up x amount of RAM. Certain games, ecspecially newer ones require up to 1GB of RAM. (Maybe more, not sure) The more RAM you have the better the game will run hypothetically. For example, windows XP says a minimum requirement of 256MB RAM and if Age of Empires takes up 512 (768 Total) and you only have 512 then the game will run slowly.

What does Ghz do? Like plentium 4 2.6 Ghz
Ghz doesn't "do" anything, it is a meaurement of speed. That Pentium 4 is running at a speed of 2.6Ghz or 2600Mhz.

I have 512MB ram. WoW says I have 504MB, if i upgrade to like 1.5gb of ram would it stop the problem of age of empires running slow easpecally near water?
It might. Like I said above, it depends on the other parts of your system and how slow they are, etc.

My graphics card is Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller, so say any thing about it if you want.
That is what we call an "Integrated Graphics" and they really aren't made for gaming. Just for the casual computer user who checks email, and does office stuff. Look into a dedicated GPU card. Depending on your sytem you will need either AGP, PCI, or PCI-E.