Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-02-07, 01:22 PM   #13
ad hoc
My spoon is too big...

Default Re: I'll have you know...

AFAIK, not in the specific sense, no. RBE is a function of the spinning color wheel (i.e. color changes per second), not color/brightness/contrast/gamma/etc adjustments. That said, reducing the overall output of the set (which can be done without calibration, though not to the same effect) might be able to help minimize RBE because you don't have the eyestrain during high-contrast scenes. In fact, part of the reason why these sets (RPTVs) look so bad out of the box is because they have gamma set too high with saturated colors in order to look "eye popping", literally.

I haven't invested yet in a professional calibration, so I may just be talking out of my posterior. I feel I've been able to get my TV as good as I can get it without professional tools (aside from DVD sources). Then again, I use my Xbox360 as my DVD/HDDVD player, so paying for a calibration is pretty pointless given the weakest link in the chain.

Now, my audio setup, that's a different story...

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
That's awesome man...so you notice a huge difference?

Out of curiosity...on a DLP set, would ISF calibration reduce or eliminate completely the RBE? My dad's got a 50" Samsung DLP and I literally get headaches and queasy if watching it too long because of the RBE.
Old 04-02-07, 01:26 PM   #14
ad hoc
My spoon is too big...

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan
I had Eliab from Avical calibrate the rear projection tv I had before, and the difference was night and day.
http://www.avical.com/
I would have him (or one of his colleauges) do my calibration if I were in the market.
Old 04-02-07, 01:51 PM   #15
evilchris

Do they do audio as well? I think audio is about 60% of the equation of the "perfect" experience. Jeff's a genius with audio.
Old 04-02-07, 05:00 PM   #16
ad hoc
My spoon is too big...

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchris
Do they do audio as well? I think audio is about 60% of the equation of the "perfect" experience. Jeff's a genius with audio.
Hmm, that's a good question I don't know; I'll have to find out. I'll probably bite down and do it sometime next year...
Old 04-02-07, 07:00 PM   #17
betterdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchris
I believe they were looking into doing audio at one time but from looking at their site I don't believe they do at this time. While the audio is indeed important, I myself put more importance on the video.

Ad hoc if you can get Eliab to do yours then I can gurantee you will be very happy with it. That man knows his stuff.