Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-02-07, 03:24 PM   #37
Zelda_fan

Default Re: Will this work with the 360 and wii?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter Bandit
The main problem isn't the fact that its only HDMI 1.2, it is the fact that it can only do 2 channels of audio through HDMI when HDMI 1.2 is fully capable of lossless audio.

Basically, the audio chipset for the 360 is gimped and the 360 is completely incapable of doing any HD audio. THAT'S why the HDMI doesn't matter. We could get 1080p through VGA/DVI on the 360 anyways, so it was assumed that if the 360 had an HDMI output, it would then support HD audio for HD-DVD as well...which appears to not be the case.

1080p video is really only half of the HD "experience". HD audio is the other half, and without it...you really aren't getting the "full HD experience".
I don't really think you know what you are talking about. The 360's tri-core CPU is easily capable of decoding Dolby TrueHD. You don't really need a specific audio processor when the CPU can do it just fine.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-07, 03:34 PM   #38
Zelda_fan

Also, I'm not 100% on this, but I think with HDMI 1.2 you can pass an encoded Dolby TrueHD signal to a receiver. So when eventually receivers come out that can decode the signal it'll be just fine.
Old 04-02-07, 03:37 PM   #39
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMONDY
ViN86 Im pritty much sold tbh mate

Im just getting the money togeather to get one. ebay seems to be my best choice as their going quite cheap on there.

I think the only thing this screen hasnt got is hdmi. apart from that its perfect!

Oh another question. i understand theres a speaker attachment for this particular model? have you got one and how are they?

Cheers

I'll probably have more questions when i come to buying one
nah i didnt buy the dell sound bar. i hear the sound quality isnt that great and its pretty weak.

if you really want HDMI, id look into the BenQ 24" widescreen monitor. it has HDMI and the same components as the Dell 2407.

here's a link reviewing the BenQ:
http://www.trustedreviews.com/displa...een-Monitor/p1

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
And you know what, People will still compare the Elite to the PS3 just because it has HDMI even though its far more crippled then the PS3.
yep. but since when did ppl actually understand the difference between revisions in technology right? lol

i mean, if you walk up to an average person on the street, they wont even know what HDMI is much less its versions and their respective capabilities.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-07, 03:38 PM   #40
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Only HDMI 1.2? Still no optical audio output? Only 2 channels through HDMI?
Why did they even bother putting an HDMI output on the console?

Basically it's a 360 with a black case, bigger hard drive, and a ridiculous price increase.

In any event, if I was to buy a new 360 this is still the model I'd want...it's just not quite as tempting anymore.
Oh and the 360 has an optical audio out, I don't know what you are talking about... I am currently running 5.1 DolbyDigital to my speakers via optical from the 360.
Old 04-02-07, 03:41 PM   #41
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
It's official, The X360 Elite will NOT support HDCP. HDMI in the Elite is only version 1.2 so HDCP is not supported nor is 5.1 supported. Users will have to deal with 2 channel sound when using HDMI without a reciever, since the unit also does not support Optical Out without a special cable (its on the VGA and Component cables, not the actual console).

Bitch about Sony all you want but atleast they are doing things right when it comes to use HDMI and HD Playback. This all seems half assed...

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=6734
oh wow, didn't read that, yeah that's extremely retarded. What is the point of having HDMI then? You can already do 1080p with the regular 360.
Old 04-02-07, 03:50 PM   #42
evilchris

Quote:
Only HDMI 1.2?
Don't let the HDMI version number marketing get to you. 1.1 is really all anyone needs.
Old 04-02-07, 03:51 PM   #43
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan
Also, I'm not 100% on this, but I think with HDMI 1.2 you can pass an encoded Dolby TrueHD signal to a receiver. So when eventually receivers come out that can decode the signal it'll be just fine.
Per every single person in the industry, receiver based decoding is a sham and will never be required.

TrueHD, since inception, was intended to be decoded by the players. Receivers getting decoding ability has required many hacks and compromises. You can thank Pioneer for forcing it, since they want to sell people a new receiver every year.

All you need is an HDMI 1.1 receiver which can playback LPCM from the player. This is why player based decoding is such a good thing. No more upgrade your A/V processor everytime a new format comes out.

For those impressed and brainwashed by "HDMI 1.3!!!", 2.0 will be out next year! Just wait!
Old 04-02-07, 04:00 PM   #44
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchris
Per every single person in the industry, receiver based decoding is a sham and will never be required.

TrueHD, since inception, was intended to be decoded by the players. Receivers getting decoding ability has required many hacks and compromises. You can thank Pioneer for forcing it, since they want to sell people a new receiver every year.

All you need is an HDMI 1.1 receiver which can playback LPCM from the player. This is why player based decoding is such a good thing. No more upgrade your A/V processor everytime a new format comes out.

For those impressed and brainwashed by "HDMI 1.3!!!", 2.0 will be out next year! Just wait!
The main thing I'm worried about is if they start broadcasting television shows with Dolby TrueHD or if the next generation of game consoles output TrueHD.

Old 04-02-07, 04:05 PM   #45
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan
The main thing I'm worried about is if they start broadcasting television shows with Dolby TrueHD or if the next generation of game consoles output TrueHD.
AFAIK, per the specification, the device would be required to have the ability to decode. If something can output bitsteam THD then it will be able to decode it as well.