Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-28-07, 08:52 PM   #61
TiKiMaN1

Default Re: TiKi RIG DOWN!!!

Well I'm still somewhat about whether to have them send me a brand new replacement or get a refund for a new cooler. I mean this is my second time with the Freezone and I just remember the first experience being so positive. Contrary to some peoples beliefs I actually think the Freezone is not cheaply made. I feel like it is well built and has the ability to cool very well. My biggest concern however is if it can really handle Kentsfield or not when it is overclocked past 3GHz.

Hmmmmmm.....
TiKiMaN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 08:53 PM   #62
TiKiMaN1

I just want to say thanks to everyone for your support and ideas. I really appreciate all of your comments guys.
Old 03-28-07, 09:02 PM   #63
Redeemed

If I were you, I'd go for the replacement. If the replacement fails on you, then I'd ditch the Freezone. At that point I'd go for a custom water cooling setup, or maybe an alternative such as one of these:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/52...SCOO00004.html

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/54..._ULT33186.html

^^^I, personally, am really interested in the Ultra Chill Tech. I might try it for my Opty185 and see how well it works. Don't know how will it works for quad core CPUs though. It should be far better than any standard air cooler, but maybe not as good as the FreeZone (and any water cooling setup for that matter). Not sure. Just throwing it out there.

Good luck man. I know how it feels to have a perfectly functioning rig crap out on you unexpectedly... not fun at all.

Best of luck man.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 09:07 PM   #64
ArrowMk84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
If I were you, I'd go for the replacement. If the replacement fails on you, then I'd ditch the Freezone. At that point I'd go for a custom water cooling setup, or maybe an alternative such as one of these:

^^^I, personally, am really interested in the Ultra Chill Tech. I might try it for my Opty185 and see how well it works. Don't know how will it works for quad core CPUs though. It should be far better than any standard air cooler, but maybe not as good as the FreeZone (and any water cooling setup for that matter). Not sure. Just throwing it out there.

Good luck man. I know how it feels to have a perfectly functioning rig crap out on you unexpectedly... not fun at all.

Best of luck man.
Wow. Both of those look awesome. I especially like how they mount like a normal heatsink, and not directly to the case. I might have to try one!
Intel i7-2600k @ 4.6GHz | Asus Maximus IV Extreme | 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 MHz 9-10-9-27 | Dual EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3GB | Creative X-Fi Titanium Pro PCI-E | Intel 510 Series SSD 120 GB | 2x Raptor 600 GB RAID | 2TB WD Black | Lite-On 21x Blu-ray Burner | Corsair AX1200 Modular PSU | Silverstone FT02 | Corsair H60 with Dual Fans | Dell 3007-HC 30" LCD | Audioengine 5 & S8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
ArrowMk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 09:08 PM   #65
LORD-eX-Bu
Horus the pointy master

TEC cooled by air is not a good idea.
Old 03-28-07, 09:16 PM   #66
TiKiMaN1

Talking Re: TiKi RIG DOWN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed

Best of luck man.
Those are definitely some good options.
Old 03-28-07, 09:24 PM   #67
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORD-eX-Bu
TEC cooled by air is not a good idea.
Why is it not a good idea? Inefficient? Ineffective? I'd assume for the price that they are asking it must work, and better than a Tuniq Tower or comparable HSF setup.

Could you clarify why this is not a good idea? I ask only cause I have been really contemplating purchasing one of these for my setup.

Thanks.
Old 03-28-07, 09:30 PM   #68
TiKiMaN1

Talking Re: TiKi RIG DOWN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haloeighty8
TiKi,

Sorry to hear that happened... just wanted to let you know what I've been running in on my Kentsfield for sometime now and never had any issue. I'm running it @ 3.20ghz and so far so good.

In fact I have to say Coolit systems support is pretty top notch.. when I was switching mobo's from the evga 680i to the striker some of the thumbscrews broke off in the standoffs... it was my fault I over tightened the screws. So I emailed them told them what the situation was and they overnighted them to me.. along with extra hardware.

So while a custom water setup may be a better solution, I'm going to stick with the freezone for now... Hope you get the everything sorted out! Let us know how it goes with tech support....
Hey man I'm sure glad to hear it's working for you. I must have just received a bad unit.

Old 03-28-07, 09:30 PM   #69
LORD-eX-Bu
Horus the pointy master

with a quad you will hit the max thermal dissipation capacity of the tec under load and it will most likely burn out and fry the cpu, if not cause a fire. Those heatpipes and fan can't sufficiently cool the tec unit. Definately wouldn't survive overclocking.

Always go liquid cooling with a TEC.

You'd get better results with a Tuniq tower than an air cooled TEC
Old 03-28-07, 10:19 PM   #70
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Yea, Air Cooled TEC's are a bad idea, they just don't work well.
Old 03-28-07, 10:20 PM   #71
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORD-eX-Bu
with a quad you will hit the max thermal dissipation capacity of the tec under load and it will most likely burn out and fry the cpu, if not cause a fire. Those heatpipes and fan can't sufficiently cool the tec unit. Definately wouldn't survive overclocking.

Always go liquid cooling with a TEC.

You'd get better results with a Tuniq tower than an air cooled TEC
Really? Does the TEC itself generate a lot of heat? Are you saying this for just a quad core CPU?

I'm rather new to TEC's, so sorry if my questions are "dumb".
Old 03-28-07, 10:22 PM   #72
LORD-eX-Bu
Horus the pointy master

even for dual cores, the tec pad is probably 50W, you couldn't overclock well with it at all. It won't cool your cpu very well either, you'd be better off with just air cooling by itself.