Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-28-07, 10:19 PM   #1
kevJ420
*BANNED*

Default cable service and modems

I know this is kind of a dumb question, but i can't find a straight answer anywhere.

I was wondering if you could have 2 computers with the same cable internet service, even if one computer is upstairs and doesn't have access to a cable outlet, but the one downstairs does. Does only one computer need to be near a cable outlet?

If there's equipment that can do that, then what should I buy? what's the highest quality (that has the least lag)? What should I expect the realworld speed to be like for each computer? cut into 1/2? 1/4? or the same? or close to the same?

I've had verizon on my machine, but i haven't used it since early last summer 20-06 and starting shortly after that I heard verizon starting sucking nuts from a lot of people on the inet, but it's possible that it was quality not quantity (i.e., a few LOUD people.)

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
kevJ420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 10:22 PM   #2
|MaguS|

Default Re: cable service and modems

um its called a router... allows you to share your internet connection with multiple PCs, I have 3 in my house.
Old 03-28-07, 10:27 PM   #3
kevJ420
*BANNED*

Thank you. It's greatly appreciated.

What's the best one to buy though?
Old 03-28-07, 10:49 PM   #4
retsam

Quote:
I was wondering if you could have 2 computers with the same cable internet service, even if one computer is upstairs and doesn't have access to a cable outlet, but the one downstairs does. Does only one computer need to be near a cable outlet?
its called a wireless router and will run ya about 100$ for the router and a nic.

Quote:
If there's equipment that can do that, then what should I buy? what's the highest quality (that has the least lag)? What should I expect the realworld speed to be like for each computer? cut into 1/2? 1/4? or the same? or close to the same?
if one computer is downloading something the other is going to get a slower response, if you get a router with QOS(quality of service) you can give each port a commited information rate of 1/2 your bandwidth.

Quote:
I've had verizon on my machine, but i haven't used it since early last summer 20-06 and starting shortly after that I heard verizon starting sucking nuts from a lot of people on the inet, but it's possible that it was quality not quantity (i.e., a few LOUD people.)
does verizon suck for you? you shouldnt pay attention to other people. if its doint what you want it todo then whats the problem. also, depending of what other services are out there i would look around and see. if verizon has fios availible in your area then i would go with that. thats urrently the best service availible in the states, jands down. out side of leasing an OC line. which would cost you something like 20K in setup charges and then a couple thousand per month.
retsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 10:50 PM   #5
nrdstrm

I like Linksys wich is made by Cisco. At least they are good enough for me...Ideally I would use Cisco stuff, but it is VERY pricy...

As to Verizon, I don't think they suck at all...I've had thier fiber service (FIOS) for the last 6 months and have not had ONE outage!!! My speeds are 15mbps download and 2mbps up. I also pay $10 less than I was paying for my cable modem wich was 6 down, 768k up...

On Any Given Sunday!
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 10:53 PM   #6
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrdstrm
I like Linksys wich is made by Cisco. At least they are good enough for me...Ideally I would use Cisco stuff, but it is VERY pricy...

As to Verizon, I don't think they suck at all...I've had thier fiber service (FIOS) for the last 6 months and have not had ONE outage!!! My speeds are 15mbps download and 2mbps up. I also pay $10 less than I was paying for my cable modem wich was 6 down, 768k up...
god I hate you...
Old 03-28-07, 10:56 PM   #7
Xion X2

I had a lot of trouble with LinkSys, so I chose Netgear. When I took the LinkSys router back, the Best Buy clerk looked and me and said "Another one.. let me guess. Didn't work, right?"

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 11:29 PM   #8
evilghost

I like the Buffalo WHR-G54S as it's able to run OpenWRT (http://www.openwrt.org) which allows for full use of QoS, stateful packet inspection, etc. It's Linux too.

I use the webif^2 add-on located at http://www.x-wrt.org

It's very easy to setup, re-flash the firmware and just use the web interface to configure it. You wouldn't believe the difference giving TCP ACK high prio makes for speed.
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-07, 12:15 AM   #9
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilghost
I like the Buffalo WHR-G54S as it's able to run OpenWRT (http://www.openwrt.org) which allows for full use of QoS, stateful packet inspection, etc. It's Linux too.

I use the webif^2 add-on located at http://www.x-wrt.org

It's very easy to setup, re-flash the firmware and just use the web interface to configure it. You wouldn't believe the difference giving TCP ACK high prio makes for speed.
Does it have GameFuel?
Old 03-29-07, 12:22 AM   #10
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevpla1@cox.net
I know this is kind of a dumb question, but i can't find a straight answer anywhere.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
This might be the funniest thing I've ever read.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 07:27 AM   #11
evilghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchris
Does it have GameFuel?
Yes, and gigabit!111oneone. It's got a gigabit link directly to my DSL modem!!!1!!1

It is only for teh true gheymer!!!!!111!19p1-11.
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 02:53 PM   #12
kevJ420
*BANNED*

Thanks for all the help.

It sucks ass though that the best that can be had is 1/2 speed.

There isn't a damn thing I want that's available.

no gpu, no audio card, no pci-e ppu, no motherboard, no games with 24/96 internal audio, almost no quality and compatibility choices for graphics, no cure for aids, no good cure for bad eyesight, no all-sport outside of south america, no good future games w/ generations-old nintendo franchises, no gunpei yokoi, no sega consoles, no snk consoles, the m2 never came out, all of the ****ing arcade games that never came home back in the day or were ****ty ports, no killer instinct 3, no gary johnson for president, no non-asshole presidents, few non-asshole candidates in the past, no decriminalisation of drugs, no new 2D castlevanias on consoles today, no fast 2.5D games on consoles today, the list goes on and on.

It's times like this when I want to die.