Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-29-07, 09:10 PM   #1
TiKiMaN1

Exclamation Freezone 2 for Kentsfield!

Well I will have my brand new CoolIT Systems Freezone next week. Hopefully everything works well this time. Last night I was doing some google searches about Kentsfield (QX6700 etc.) and the Freezone and discovered something interesting in the AnandTech Forums:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...&enterthread=y
Quote:
Coolit's support rocks!!! Got off the phone with a very knowledgeable person who gave me the run down on some possible product announcements in the next 6-8 months....

There will possibly be a new unit coming soon that will be able to dissipate 300watts of heat versus 175watts of the freezone....
So today when I called CoolIt to get my replacement I was wondering if this was really true. They guy at CoolIT said that "yes they are working on a much stronger Freezone and it should be ready for the market in 6 months or so." The guy called it the Freezone 2 and will be specifically made for Kentsfield and other Quad Core Processors.

Hopefully the new unit will incorporate a 120mm fan. I know I loved the Freezone for my E6700. It is nice to know that they will have a unit that can seriously handle an overclocked Quad Core (like 3.5GHz for example).

The guy also told me that they have tested the current Freezone to work @ 3.4GHz with the QX6700 but they temps were far too high (He said the sweetspot was somewhere between 3GHz-3.2GHz). Probably due to the 175watt limit considering that stock speeds on the QX6700 produces 130watts. So in other words a Freezone that could really handle 300watts would more than rock. Then I would have the ability to give 1.5v without burning the CPU up.

Hurry Up CoolIT Systems!
TiKiMaN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 09:12 PM   #2
A101Sugar

Send a message via AIM to A101Sugar
Default Re: Freezone 2 for Kentsfield!

sweet.
A101Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 09:17 PM   #3
TiKiMaN1

Talking Re: Freezone 2 for Kentsfield!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A101Sugar
sweet.
My thoughts exactly. I have wondered to myself today if maybe I should just get the Tuniq Tower 120 till this new Freezone comes out. It would be easy to sell a Brand New unused Freezone on eBay. Plus my wife keeps bugging me to get a Nintendo Wii.
Old 03-29-07, 09:17 PM   #4
buffbiff21
*B4NNED*

I am curious, Tiki:

for $300 you can get an awesome CPU cooling water system that will far exceed the Freezone. Why are you so bent on it? You have made a large investment into your rig already - it would only seem logical to get the best of the best for all things - including cooling. In my eyes, Freezone is really only useful for not having to switch the water system when you switch other components.
Old 03-29-07, 09:24 PM   #5
TiKiMaN1

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffbiff21
I am curious, Tiki:

for $300 you can get an awesome CPU cooling water system that will far exceed the Freezone. Why are you so bent on it? You have made a large investment into your rig already - it would only seem logical to get the best of the best for all things - including cooling. In my eyes, Freezone is really only useful for not having to switch the water system when you switch other components.
That's a good question....hmmmm...Well I like the lack of maintenance that the Freezone presents. I suppose at some point I should try my own water cooling project, but it would be a first for me.

I guess the Freezone left a really nice taste in my mouth the first time around. It was a fantastic cooler for my E6700 overclocked to 3.5GHz. My load temps using CoreTemp was actually between 32C-34C. That was awesome. Really awesome. I expected the same cooling capabilites for Kentsfield, but have found that it is not completely up to the task. Not the 3.5GHz task anyway.
Old 03-29-07, 09:36 PM   #6
buffbiff21
*B4NNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiKiMaN1
That's a good question....hmmmm...Well I like the lack of maintenance that the Freezone presents.
I hear ya. But my guess is - (someone correct me if I am wrong) - that the Freezone would still be susceptible to loop contamination or block clogging just like any full blown system.

Quote:
I suppose at some point I should try my own water cooling project, but it would be a first for me.
I was a liquid cooling virgin up until this build! I can make a small list of the stuff youll need. gimme 5 mins.

Quote:
[b]It was a fantastic cooler for my E6700 overclocked to 3.5GHz.
But "Kentsfield" CPUs look like this:
two Conroe chips under one heatsink. you gotta recompense for that heat somehow.
Old 03-29-07, 09:37 PM   #7
Xion X2

Quote:
I guess the Freezone left a really nice taste in my mouth the first time around. It was a fantastic cooler for my E6700 overclocked to 3.5GHz. My load temps using CoreTemp was actually between 32C-34C.
Yeah, but it doesn't cool the quads nearly as well. And you have a quad. I've seen guys able to run 3.5gHz on a Kentsfield all day long with temps that are reasonable on a custom water setup.

There's really very little maintenance involved after the initial setup. As long as you take the proper precautions up front by using a good anti-corrosive and biocide, you'll hardly have to touch it. Without the motherboard problems I've had, I've barely had to touch mine in the last 5 months. Only time I disassembled it was to fill a little more coolant in the res, and it took about 5 minutes.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 09:42 PM   #8
TiKiMaN1

It's really too bad that I don't have any friends that live close that could help me with my first WC setup. I seriously don't know anyone locally that likes to do this stuff.

Old 03-29-07, 09:43 PM   #9
buffbiff21
*B4NNED*

Pump.
Block.
Radiator. (double Thermochill should be plenty)
Tubing.
Be sure to get barbs for each component.
Get clamps from Home Depot, and use whatever fans you like. I use Yate Loons cuz theyre damn cheap.
Old 03-29-07, 09:50 PM   #10
TiKiMaN1

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffbiff21
Pump.
Block.
Radiator. (double Thermochill should be plenty)
Tubing.
Be sure to get barbs for each component.
Get clamps from Home Depot, and use whatever fans you like. I use Yate Loons cuz theyre damn cheap.
Thanks I will have to look into this.
Old 03-29-07, 09:53 PM   #11
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiKiMaN1
It's really too bad that I don't have any friends that live close that could help me with my first WC setup. I seriously don't know anyone locally that likes to do this stuff.
Tiki, I'd be willing to walk you through it. I think you have some hardware sense about you and just need a little instruction.

In fact I just helped a guy complete his watercooled rig pushing a Kentsfield and two 8800GTXs. All I did was instruct him through PMs, and he's getting along just fine.

If you think you might be interested in going this route, then this link will provide you with a gold mine of information:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...splay.php?f=70
The only thing that's missing in those guides are quad-core blocks, but there are lots of topics scattered throughout that forum for testing. Last time I checked, the ApogeeGT and D-Tek Fuzion were kings of the hill.. I haven't heard anything about the MP-05. Then again, I haven't browsed the forums over there much the last few weeks.

I like Petra's, but you can get a good pump for a lot cheaper than that. Newegg has the Swiftech MCP350 for 57.19$:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835108063

That's really all you need to cool just a CPU with. And I would suggest worm-drive steel clamps along with brass barbs. You can get both of those at Petras if you don't feel like fishing through thousands of clamps down at Home Depot (which I never do).
www.petrastechshop.com

Thermochills are the best radiators out there, but they're expensive. If you want to go a lot cheaper but still quality, then go with a Swiftech MCR220 for 35.99$ on newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835108086

For tubing, there's really no need to go Tygon unless you have some really tight bends. It's much more expensive than Masterkleer, which is what I use. It's not as flexible as the Tygon, but if you're only cooling a CPU then you shouldn't have any tight bends that need Tygon. You can get the Masterkleer at Petras as well.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 10:05 PM   #12
TiKiMaN1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
Tiki, I'd be willing to walk you through it. I think you have some hardware sense about you and just need a little instruction.

In fact I just helped a guy complete his watercooled rig pushing a Kentsfield and two 8800GTXs. All I did was instruct him through PMs, and he's getting along just fine.

If you think you might be interested in going this route, then this link will provide you with a gold mine of information:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...splay.php?f=70

I like Petra's, but you can get a good pump for a lot cheaper than that. Newegg has the Swiftech MCP350 for 57.19$:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835108063

That's really all you need to cool just a CPU with. And I would suggest worm-drive steel clamps along with brass barbs. You can get both of those at Petras if you don't feel like fishing through thousands of clamps down at Home Depot (which I never do).
www.petrastechshop.com
Thanks. I will let you guys know what happens next week.