Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-30-07, 08:32 PM   #1
Hambone

Default LOTR-O

Well, I never got to try LOTR Online, but with the open beta today I finally did.

$199 for a lifetime membership. That's the same as $15 for a year. I'm really going to give this one a fair shake.

So far....
-Overall graphics much better than WoW, doesn't seem as good as EQ2 or Vanguard though
-Animations not as fluid (realistic) as WoW or EQ2 but better than Vanguard (I love how a running character in Vanguard looks like a non-moving stick body with robot like swinging arms - cheese).
-Interface - not horrible for a brand new game, much like WoW but not as good
-Addons? no idea.. if it can have WoW's addon support, that will be a plus

If it wasn't for the $199 lifetime or $9.99 a month options for Pre-Order people, I'd probably not even look at it again. But $199 lifetime is so tempting. I could really stick with 1 MMO for that even if it wasn't the best.

EQ2 is still the best MMO hands down though (except for PVP and lack of any good addon support). EQ2 is one hell of a polished HQ and content rich MMO.
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-07, 09:56 PM   #2
nrdstrm

Default Re: LOTR-O

I'll pass on LOTRO...I tried it a bit recently...Too cookie cutter (quests), to small (world size), too "wow"ish (for me) (graphics). BTW...Of course EQ2 is polished...It's been out 2 years...If you were around during the beginning (or in beta), you know the launch was not that hot for EQ2, just as it's not great for Vanguard. Vanguard has alot of work to do, but the one big thing you mentioned should be addressed within a month or 2 (it's on thier top 10 list) (The running animations of other characters). It's not that I don't think LOTRO looks and runs great...It does...But I guess I just don't like that "style" of MMO...

On Any Given Sunday!
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-07, 10:10 PM   #3
GamerGuyX

Will never play a LotR game that does not have the movie license.

[url="http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&t=35216"]Folding for Team# 35216 : NvNews + OSNN + SP[/URL]
GamerGuyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-07, 11:09 PM   #4
pkirby11

Send a message via AIM to pkirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGuyX
Will never play a LotR game that does not have the movie license.
So the fact that the game is based off the actual novel doesn't matter? The movies were great but they certainly weren't true to the books at all. They cut so much out it's not even funny. How ever I'm not defending the game either seeing as I've yet to play it.

PSN: pkirby11
pkirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-07, 10:09 AM   #5
Hambone

I gave Vanguard one heck of a good shot... maybe 40 hours ingame. I'm now of the opinon that anyone still playing it is holding on to the fantasy dream of what they hoped the game was going to be. I can see nothing about Vanguard that should make anyone want to play it over EQ2.

With renewals on SOE's Station Pass going up $5 next month, I expect a flood of people to go back to EQ2 or their other home SOE games. I think Vanguard's population will totally bottom out within the next 3 months - down to a Matrix Online level.

If they had only had the money to polish Vanguard for 6 months to 1 year more before release it could have made it. But, with such a failure of a release Vanguard will never be able to hold enough subscribers.

I'd say the same thing about LOTR except for the $199 lifetime membership thing. LOTR is pretty damn polished right now and ready for release. lifetiem memberships may create a very solid and permenant player base that could keep this game at or above EQ2's subscriber numbers for a good while. More people = better MMO.
Old 03-31-07, 11:02 AM   #6
|MaguS|

Turbine is behind LOTRO and they have no talent, they killed DDO as soon as it launched. Hell look at how horrible Asherons Call 2 turned out... They made one decent game and that was the original Asherons Call.
Old 03-31-07, 01:22 PM   #7
Hambone

That opinon is about as stupid and childesh as your avatar.
Old 03-31-07, 02:11 PM   #8
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone
Thanks, Im guessing you never actually played any of their games then? I have beta tested and purchased all their MMOs since Asherons Call and have quited them all after acouple months of play. They are horrible MMO developers.

Old 03-31-07, 02:24 PM   #9
kevJ420
*BANNED*

i was wondering how rare the old-ass dos versions by interplay are? I think the super nes one was based on those.
kevJ420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-07, 03:05 PM   #10
GamerGuyX

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkirby11
So the fact that the game is based off the actual novel doesn't matter? The movies were great but they certainly weren't true to the books at all. They cut so much out it's not even funny. How ever I'm not defending the game either seeing as I've yet to play it.
I like the movies not the books. Never even read the books, probably never will.

[url="http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&t=35216"]Folding for Team# 35216 : NvNews + OSNN + SP[/URL]
GamerGuyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-07, 03:30 PM   #11
nrdstrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone
Sorry man but he's right...Turbine sucks...I promised myself I wouldn't play any more games by them, but I decided to give DDO a shot (beta)...What a mistake...I should have known better. LOTRO will get its share of customers. In fact it will likely dwarf Vanguard by a good margin...For a few months...The only reason that game will be successful at all is due to the IP (LOTR)...

On Any Given Sunday!
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-07, 06:32 PM   #12
pkirby11

Send a message via AIM to pkirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGuyX
I like the movies not the books. Never even read the books, probably never will.

Fair enough, nothing wrong with that at all. I did love the movies and it is hard to follow a book of that magnitude to it's fullest with out making the movies drag. They did a good job and if you've never read the books than you won't know the differences. Movies rocked for sure, got them all on DVD.

PSN: pkirby11
pkirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote