Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-15-07, 12:18 AM   #1
nrdstrm

Default Sigil Employees are Fired

It's a sad day for me, as I really like Brad, and LOVED his original "VISION" for Vanguard...But it seems he did botch up VG pretty bad...Read for yourselves...Oh..and to those who say that this might be FUD, Nino (customer relations guy) posted on FOH that he will let them know his status tomorrow...Thats a good indication it is true...I just hope Sony can do something with this game...It has alot of potential...

http://www.f13.net/?itemid=560

Quote:
The axe finally fell. It was only a matter of time, I suppose. And while many of you may try to spin this to make SOE look bad, apparently this wasn't really their doing. You see, SOE doesn't own Sigil. It doesn't own Sigil now and they won't own them tomorrow. But they do own Vanguard. What fate awaits that game? I don't know. Don't particularly care either.

But I do know that at approximately 4:30PM today, Sigil employees were told to meet outside. At which point they were terminated. On the spot. By whom? Doesn't seem to have been Brad McQuaid, if it was, nobody is talking. But that doesn't seem like something he'd do. But I suppose the executioner is irrelevant since most folks secretly want it to be SOE and it wasn't. As it stands, people were told to come back tomorrow to do their paperwork and some may get hired by SOE.

I contacted SOE since I'm not in the business of burning bridges or spinning news and they had this to say:

"...an announcement is forthcoming tomorrow."

On Any Given Sunday!
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-07, 02:20 AM   #2
Badboy_12345

Default Re: Sigil Employees are Fired

vanguard was meant to fail from the start...
I feel sorry for the people that bought the game.
Badboy_12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-07, 07:58 AM   #3
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Its not a bad game, it just doesn't have that extra "umph". All Vanguard is, is a mix of alot of different games. Nothing about Vanguard is really new or unique to make it stand out above the rest. It just kind sits in the middle of many. If a person wants to casually play, they will still play WoW. If they want to hardcore play, they will still play EQ.

My guild on Woefeather is the number 2 guild on the ENTIRE server. I have over 200 members. Guess how many are active? About 15% of that. I have zero problem with people quitting the guild. Most people who are in the guild, like it and enjoy the time we spend(however little it may be). My problem lies where people quit the GAME ENTIRELY. ALL other guilds have this problem too. I spend hours and days and weeks putting together a solid guild, only to have people quitting the game.

You wouldn't believe how much time I wasted purely making the guild good, now everyone is gone. I can't say that I blame them much though, I'm probably going to cancel my account soon as well.
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-07, 08:44 AM   #4
Tr1cK
not coming back

Good. Now maybe people will actually try to make something new in the genre and not repeat the same crap or copy from existing games.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-07, 09:21 AM   #5
|MaguS|

Problem was that Vanguards tried way too much and got to big but never excelled in any one area. The graphics were good but not great, gameplay was decent but shallow. Heck even the world was huge and sometimes detailed but empty in other parts.

I think SOE should take the game and rebuild it completly... make it a true follow up to EQ rather then what EQ2 was.
Old 05-15-07, 09:43 AM   #6
Tr1cK
not coming back

I agree somewhat Magus. I do believe they should try to find more innovation to be successful though.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-07, 10:07 AM   #7
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

One of the MAJOR problems with Vanguard is the world is just simply too big for the low amount of players. Do a /who all 30 (or ANY level) and you only see 10 - 20 people on at ANY given time for that level. I'm not talking a /who 30 where it just checks your zone, I'm talking the ENTIRE WORLD there are only that amount of people on. They could combine EVERY server and they "might" be able to fill the world a little bit better.

To those who have not ever played Vanguard, the world is absolutely humongous. Many times larger than WoW. However, it should be HALF the size of WoW due to how few players are on it.
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-07, 03:54 PM   #8
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter Bandit
Yeah, I actually cancelled my account today...I just don't want to invest time in an MMORPG to then have it ****ed up by SOE like SWG. I really enjoyed SWG for the first year or so after its launch.

Then they started making too many changes...and before long the game was nothing like the version that was released on launch day.
You do know that LucasArts made the decisions on that game right? SOE was just the developer behind it but Lucas is mainly to blame. I have no real hate for SOE other then the ****ing stupid ingame item selling but I really liked EQ2 prior to that... Hell Planetside is awsome and I even go back and play every now and then...

Old 05-15-07, 04:02 PM   #9
nrdstrm

I'm going to keep my account for a while...I want to see what SOE can do...They did a good job on EQ2 from what I hear...I think it's a good move for the game, however I still feel bad about the Sigil Employees...

On Any Given Sunday!
Old 05-15-07, 05:32 PM   #10
|MaguS|

SOE basically doesn't want to see their investment go poof. Sigil cannot keep the game running and if it was left as is the servers would not last long, SOE is absorbing them to keep it all going. I hope they can fix the game in the process though, they have alot of work to do.
Old 05-15-07, 07:33 PM   #11
nrdstrm

Just an FYI...There are new "OFFICIAL" forums now...
http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/forums/list.m

On Any Given Sunday!
Old 05-16-07, 02:51 AM   #12
nrdstrm

Wow...I didn't expect this...Nino (a loved member of the VG team spoke out today on the firings...(FOH...I am to lazy to give you the link)..I expected people to talk...but not quite as frankly as this...He infers that it was Brad that killed the game...Wich (even though I was a Vanboy or a Bradite) I can understand and possibly agree with...I've met Brad (as has Magus)...He came accross as very passionate about the game, as did his employees...He seemed to be the "messiah" of MMORPG's...His employees worshiped him as if he was one (wich, to be completely honest, won me over)...Things are coming to light that he wasn't even in the office after the SOE publishing agreement (RUMOR..but being somewhat solidified by the type of post that Nino did)...He might be a nice guy, but I guess he's not a business man....What do you guys think (Magus, I'm especially interested in your view)?

Quote:
There is much I would love to unload about right now, but seeing as I am feeling pretty emotional while trying to respect the wishes of remaining Vanguard management, I will refrain.

I knew this was coming months ago, as did most others, so I made arrangements prior to the whole unfolding of events today. Sony was kind enough to invite me and a few others to form a small team and to start prototyping a 'new' project. While we've done some 'secret' preliminary work, we begin in earnest tomorrow after we officially sign on with SOE. Don't bother asking about details, because you won't get any.

I became increasingly disenfranchised with the situation since the forced premature launch, which then culminated several weeks back when I decided I could not, in good conscience, continue serving the Sigil management staff in my over-extended capacity and stepped down. I would have walked away completely if this recent opportunity had not presented itself when it did.

I did the best I could with the time and resources I had at my disposal, but in the end it simply wasn't enough to bring the game up to the standards we all had hoped for in the time we had remaining. I apologize for any disappointments players have experienced. During the final year, I was pulling 80-100 hour weeks, and I was not at all alone in the building. I wish things could have been different.

While I was fortunate to stay employed, there were near 50 people today who were not, and it was painful watching the procession of stunned coworkers packing their belongings into little cardboard boxes with blank looks on their faces. I've never had to endure something like this, and I hope to never have to do it again. I know it is easy to point fingers at 'why' things ended up this way, but the vast, vast majority of the folks losing their jobs today had very little control on how events unfolded and many were skilled and creative people who simply wanted to make a great game.

The Vanguard team, obviously now much smaller, will go back to improving and fixing the game tomorrow. Myself and four others will be moving to a new location and beginning anew. The others will begin the process of trying to find a new place to work.

I promised not to be publically scornful, but I will say this: I hope those truly responsible for the deep rooted failings of the company lay in bed tonight and relive the events that transpired today in their heads, over and over. For not ONE of you is without your job come tomorrow morning.

On Any Given Sunday!