Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-31-07, 08:53 PM   #13
Hambone

Default Re: LOTR-O

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrdstrm
Sorry man but he's right...Turbine sucks...I promised myself I wouldn't play any more games by them, but I decided to give DDO a shot (beta)...What a mistake...I should have known better. LOTRO will get its share of customers. In fact it will likely dwarf Vanguard by a good margin...For a few months...The only reason that game will be successful at all is due to the IP (LOTR)...
DDO sucked, that's for sure.

But I fail to see how anyone could take a look at LOTR-O and say that Turbine sucks. It's a much better game at launch than (say) WoW was at launch.

I'm not having an easy time getting into LOTR-O, but it's a darn nice MMO.
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-07, 10:27 PM   #14
lIqUID
whip yo ass!

the game is crap.

horrid graphics, horrid gameplay and basically not a single enjoyable aspect to it at all. I'll stick with WOW until Warhammer Online comes out.

i7 930@3.8ghz on Noctua NH-U12P
Evga x58 LE
MSI GTX 480 formerly known as HIS HD5870
128 gig Crucial m4/80 gig Intel X25-M ssd/500 gb WD
750 watt Corsair TX
Coolermaster HAF-X

if my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour you're gonna to see some serious sh!t.
lIqUID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-07, 11:18 PM   #15
Xion X2

EQ2 is polished? The game runs like ass on 8800 cards. A lot worse than Vanguard, and that's saying something...

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 02:23 AM   #16
nrdstrm

Really? Interesting...I've not played EQ2 since getting my GTX...

On Any Given Sunday!
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 05:18 AM   #17
ginfest
"Oderint dum metuant"

Actually I've found that EQ2 runs a lot better than Vanguard on my GTS
With all the VSOH crashes in the past month, I re-upped EQ2 just to clear a few toons and get my broker sales and it ran for over 4 hours without a glitch!
Too bad I'm bored of the game, right now it's mostly "twinks" and the economy is crazy. Way back when it started having 1g was an accomplishment, now I have hundreds of PP.
Anyway, VSOH and it's tech probs are so far one of the great disappointments of 2007.
Although it has gotten better, it's still unpredictable as to when , not if, it will crash.
Although LOTR is not really my type of MMO, I have to say that I have it running at max, AA/AF and the high texture pack and it also hasn't crashed in 4+ hours a session.
Why Sigil can't get VSOH running with no hassles is beyond me.
Well, it seems that VSOH is already destined to be a low-pop niche game, hopefully AOC will be the next great one.

Heat
ginfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 09:16 AM   #18
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginfest
Actually I've found that EQ2 runs a lot better than Vanguard on my GTS
With all the VSOH crashes in the past month, I re-upped EQ2 just to clear a few toons and get my broker sales and it ran for over 4 hours without a glitch!
Too bad I'm bored of the game, right now it's mostly "twinks" and the economy is crazy. Way back when it started having 1g was an accomplishment, now I have hundreds of PP.
Anyway, VSOH and it's tech probs are so far one of the great disappointments of 2007.
Although it has gotten better, it's still unpredictable as to when , not if, it will crash.
Although LOTR is not really my type of MMO, I have to say that I have it running at max, AA/AF and the high texture pack and it also hasn't crashed in 4+ hours a session.
Why Sigil can't get VSOH running with no hassles is beyond me.
Well, it seems that VSOH is already destined to be a low-pop niche game, hopefully AOC will be the next great one.
What settings are you running EQ2 at, and what framerate are you getting? I'm getting as low as 18fps whenever there are lots of enemies on-screen at once on both a single GTX and SLI.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 04-01-07, 09:46 AM   #19
Hambone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
EQ2 is polished? The game runs like ass on 8800 cards. A lot worse than Vanguard, and that's saying something...
Dude you're a freaking goober.

Obviously I was talking about the "game" not the engine. Aside from that I also have an 8800GTS and an E6600. At high settings with forced x4 FSAA (shadows off, water medium, blah blah) I get a pretty constant 60FPS at 1680x1050. I'd hardly call a game that looks as good as EQ2 and runs like that "ass".

"polished" - as in massive content, excellent UI, excellent guild system, excellent crafting system. The game is nothing like it was when it came out. They've polished the heck out of it.
Old 04-01-07, 11:57 AM   #20
ginfest
"Oderint dum metuant"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
What settings are you running EQ2 at, and what framerate are you getting? I'm getting as low as 18fps whenever there are lots of enemies on-screen at once on both a single GTX and SLI.
Sorry I don't have FRAPS or any way to tell exact numbers. And it's not that I care about one game over the other but EQ2 does run a lot smoother to the eye and doesn't crash either. I'm set at 1650x1080 Very High all default except shadows minimal. I know it's just a subjective observation but there it is
I wish VSOH would run the same for me but on "balanced" it still stutters and will CTD everytime-I can delay it by staying in one chunk or just crafting but travel over 2 or more chunks, or join up in a dungeon and it will crash.
This LOTR, even though as I said not really my "type" of MMO defaulted to Very High and I'm using 4x/16x at 1680x1050 and it is smooth as silk to me, there are some minor stutters at times but it hasn't CTD on me yet.

Heat
ginfest is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-07, 08:49 PM   #21
Blacklash
8^9^3

My new rule with MMOs, since they are all rushed out the door and bugged to high heaven, is to wait six months after official retail release before I buy one. During that time I will monitor user feedback and decide if I want to give game X a whirl when the six month mark hits.
SilverStone OP1000-E|SilverStone TJ10-B|Thermalright U-120 Extreme|Win 7 HP x64
Blacklash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-07, 01:23 PM   #22
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
Turbine is behind LOTRO and they have no talent, they killed DDO as soon as it launched. Hell look at how horrible Asherons Call 2 turned out... They made one decent game and that was the original Asherons Call.
this about sums up my opinions as well.
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-07, 03:37 PM   #23
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone
Dude you're a freaking goober.
Right back at ya, dork.

Quote:
Obviously I was talking about the "game" not the engine.
No, it wasn't "obvious," because "polished" can refer to all sorts of things.

Quote:
Aside from that I also have an 8800GTS and an E6600. At high settings with forced x4 FSAA (shadows off, water medium, blah blah) I get a pretty constant 60FPS at 1680x1050. I'd hardly call a game that looks as good as EQ2 and runs like that "ass".

"polished" - as in massive content, excellent UI, excellent guild system, excellent crafting system. The game is nothing like it was when it came out. They've polished the heck out of it.
God, some of you MMO boys are so sensitive and defensive that it's ridiculous. I guess when you spend your entire life behind a keyboard in one of these MMO worlds it gets into your head after a while and you feel as if your entire existence is being threatened.

Anyway.. I like EQ2's "polish" in the way you refer to it; I just wish the game ran decent on high settings. I'm not the only one who's complained about this, by the way. The game runs pretty lousy on 8800 cards considering its graphics engine. The shadows and water are the best graphical effects on the game; you shouldn't have to turn those off in order for the game to run decent. It's over two years old, and it really takes away from the overall graphical appeal when you have to disable those features.

Some of that is probably Nvidia's fault, but I think it says something when both Vanguard (which looks better) and World of Warcraft both run so much better.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 04-03-07, 06:28 PM   #24
Hambone

A toaster could run WoW.