Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-30-07, 06:57 AM   #49
Badboy_12345

Default Re: LOTR-O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becoming
I don't think I could wander around for four hours and not kill anything if I tried. Where the hell were you?

I have three characters over 10 and have yet to ever run out of things to do. I wasn't aware it was even possible to be honest. Go mess around with some monster play if you get bored of quests. It's fairly amusing.
yeah I have so many quests that I dont know where to start
There is always something to do and the quests are great

much more immersive than WoW quests
Badboy_12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-07, 11:40 AM   #50
FlashGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
At the time, standing outside the wolves den just outside Combe... the problem is, cause its new, there are around 200+ other players in and around Combe.

Seriously, there was not a creature in sight because there were so many players/fellowships that as soon as something spawned it was tagged and killed instantly.

I have around 10-12 quests in my log book, but everywhere I go there are so many players with the same quest that it just drags out the kill 15 wolves from what should be 10 mins to around 30-40 mins at which point I'm bored of searching for them.

I will probably try it again in a few months or so when its calmed down.
Which server are you playing on? I'm on Vilya and it doesn't seem that crowded. I'm liking the game so far and I'm a WOW refugee like most of the people in the game.
1 GB (2 x 512) OCZ Platinum PC3500EB
Leadtek (A400) 6800GT
Dell 1704FPT LCD
Plextor 716 DVD Burner
LiteOn DVD/CD Burner Combo
Creative Audigy 2
WD 160 GB ATA/ WD 80GB ATA
Thermaltake Purepower 480W
Chieftec Dragon Case

Get Firefox!
FlashGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-07, 11:45 AM   #51
Jon

Well, when you first run it, it suggests that all new players go onto Eldar... which is what I and by the looks of it every other new player did.

I just assumed they were suggesting it because all the other servers were full...
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-07, 12:42 AM   #52
nVJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashGordon
Which server are you playing on? I'm on Vilya and it doesn't seem that crowded. I'm liking the game so far and I'm a WOW refugee like most of the people in the game.
I get the game from Amazon this Wednesday and will soon join ya. I went from WoW to Vanguard and now to this.

I did play the beta for LotRO and it was total crap. How ever ya'll talkin' so pertty about the game and it good really good review that I thought Id' give it another go on the retail version.
nVJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-07, 01:07 PM   #53
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Anyone who's currently playing, how is it at release? The reviews have my interest piqued and I'm getting really sick of WoW. I'm mostly interested in the PVE content although the PVP part of the game does sound unique.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-07, 02:17 PM   #54
Slybri

I've been playing LOTRO for 3 or 4 days now, and I'm hooked. I'm a WoW refugee (most of the players are) and I was trying not to get sucked into another game that will steal 2 years of my life, but alas...

The graphics are really nice, with the day/night cycles being only 4 hours or so, you get to see some pretty sunsets. Lots of nice trees and the water is gorgeous. It's really immersive and soothing with the pleasant music. It's like an online Ren-fest.

The classes kinda suck. I was hard pressed to choose one, but i went with hunter because they kill stuff fast. The hunter is pretty much exactly the same as the WOW hunter, but without a pet. And theres no skill trees to differentiate players in the same class. So a hunter is a hunter...etc.

The quests are well done and theres a whole EPIC story line quest that runs through the entire game, broken into chapters with video cutscenes for some of them. The story lines are better than WOW and theres a weird screen warping flash effect whenever you go near some major event. And there are story specific Instances that can be soloed, but not repeated.

The world design is Tolkien to a T. I looked up some of the locations and names in a Tolkien Companion book and everything is exactly how it is described in the books. Turbine did their homework.

Overall, its not as wacky fun as WOW, missing Blizzard's sense of humor. There's no pop culture references or funny quest names. There's no voice emotes or /silly stuff. There is, however, lots of Tolkien if you are into that. You can smoke a pipe and play music on your lute. But everything else is exactly WOW. They stole almost everything in the UI and gameplay from Blizzard.

It does have it's faults and I wouldnt call it a WOW killer. But it's a new game, and if you're burned out on the WOW raiding endgame and looking to explore a new world, this is the place to do it. Very soloable and good immersive quests with a beautifully crafted gameworld. And they are adding new content every few months, so it's growing.

It does have a problem with memory leakage, especially with VISTA. The game will crash after a while if you have the textures set too high. They say they are looking into the problem...hehe sure.

Oh, and there's NO FISHING?! You can't have a MMORPG without fishing. It's standard for these games.

I think I'll stick with it for a while, at least till my free months up. There's not much else exciting on the gaming horizon for the next few months anyhow.

"Nice shot William Burroughs! You hold a gun like a guy who plays Riven!"
------ The Venture Bros.
Slybri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-07, 02:26 PM   #55
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for!

I may pick this up to see how I like it. Can't hurt.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-07, 03:59 PM   #56
Slybri

It's going for 35 bucks right now at Circuit City. Not too shabby.

Don't get the "Special Edition." It's not very special at all.

"Nice shot William Burroughs! You hold a gun like a guy who plays Riven!"
------ The Venture Bros.
Slybri is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-07, 08:09 PM   #57
Tea on Tuesday
stop, drop and ROFL

It's a fun game. They already have a content update scheduled for June, with a lot more down the road I'm guessing considering how big tolkiens world is. Places like Rohan, Gondor and Mordor are on the world map but you can't go there yet.
Tea on Tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-07, 10:37 AM   #58
winton

Send a message via AIM to winton

Not all classes will be alike. There are certain Deeds you get by questing and kill stuff (orcs, goblins, etc). You'll get titles (which don't do anything), and traits from them. The traits are what will make you a bit different from another of the same class. Here's a link: http://www.lotro.com/article/287
winton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-07, 10:28 AM   #59
tornadog
Keeper of the Faith

I got a 10 day buddy key yesterday. whats a good class to play for a MMO newbie? Also whats a good starting location?
Old 05-11-07, 10:50 AM   #60
winton

Send a message via AIM to winton

Starting location depends on race. I'd go with a human Champion as they seem pretty easy to play.
winton is offline   Reply With Quote