Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-31-07, 08:41 PM   #1
russ_3d
museikal rtisdt

Default if the elite 360 is cooler....

will fps be increased do you think?

in the light of my weird glitches happening at 1920x1080 im having thoughts about my 'box :/

and im not really happy with the framerate of games tbh, do you think the performance will be improved or just the danger of the red ring reduced?
russ_3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-07, 08:57 PM   #2
toxikneedle
this.is.a.chemical.burn

Send a message via AIM to toxikneedle Send a message via MSN to toxikneedle
Default Re: if the elite 360 is cooler....

If you're referring to the 65nm cpu that MS promised, it's not going to be in the elite. If you're just asking in general if it's going to run cooler, no one knows... but even if it does, I doubt there would be any performance boosts. It would be same as if you'd get watercooling for your PC, the watercooling doesn't make your PC faster, it just gives you more room to overclock. MS won't increase performance, that would go against many console rules and leave many fans in the dark. The whole point of a console is to be a unified piece of hardware that runs games at equal performance level.

As far as the red rings, I've said many times before. People get 3 Rings, 3 Red rings are hardware failure not overheating, which is only 2 rings. Most of the hardware failures were attributed to bad memory that has been fixed for the most part. The 360 runs hot to your hand but it's not hot for the hardware that's inside it. Also many people attribute the loud DVD drive to heat, thinking that it's the fans that are making that noise.
Old 03-31-07, 09:19 PM   #3
russ_3d
museikal rtisdt

ok thanks - i was just wondering if lower temps could stop some of the slowdowns (not increase fps, i worded wrong) that does my nut in loads - it causes loss of focus for me
russ_3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 01:15 PM   #4
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ_3d
ok thanks - i was just wondering if lower temps could stop some of the slowdowns (not increase fps, i worded wrong) that does my nut in loads - it causes loss of focus for me
slowdowns are related to the game dev's taxing the system too much, heh.

ie, massive amounts of smoke in GoW = bad time and bad framerate
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 05:16 PM   #5
evilchris

It isn't like a car engine, where lower heat and intake charge improves performance. If the GPU runs cooler performance will be identical. Just less chance of failure.