Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-04-07, 08:38 PM   #13
Redeemed

Default Re: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000 at newegg for $379!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC
Not that I'm aware of...I'm not that big into sounds.....if I can hear alot of base, then I'm good to go!

Seriously, I did not know that about the Crosshair. I may have to do a little research on that and see what I can come up with.....
I'm thinking of doing the same. Right now I'm torn in two- wait several months and get quad core and near a 1GHz OC for only $66 more than the 6000, or get my rig up and running sooner by going with AMD...

For some reason I just can't stop being excited about having the Athlon64 X2 6000 with the ASUS CrossHair mobo- it just sounds so sick! I don't know why, but I'm really wanting that 6000+ CrossHair setup. Almost like I'm being led to get it... maybe somebody is trying to tell me something...?

You wouldn't know whether Barcelona will be using AM2 or not, would ya'?
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-07, 08:48 PM   #14
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
I'm thinking of doing the same. Right now I'm torn in two- wait several months and get quad core and near a 1GHz OC for only $66 more than the 6000, or get my rig up and running sooner by going with AMD...

For some reason I just can't stop being excited about having the Athlon64 X2 6000 with the ASUS CrossHair mobo- it just sounds so sick! I don't know why, but I'm really wanting that 6000+ CrossHair setup. Almost like I'm being led to get it... maybe somebody is trying to tell me something...?

You wouldn't know whether Barcelona will be using AM2 or not, would ya'?
I don't know what socket it will be using, but I am pretty excited about it. I've been trying to find more info on it, and again if I find some, I will be happy to share!
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-07, 08:53 PM   #15
Redeemed

I am wondering if maybe Barcelona will be on AM2? If so I could easily see why it would be wise to invest in an AM2 based setup right now.

Then again if AMD releases Barcelona onto a different socket I'd be best to go with a Core2 setup for now.l

This is kind of creepy, I'm really feeling like I should just get the 6000+CrossHair once AMD cuts thier prices.

I'm gonna' look into Barcelona a lot more now. I'm curious if it will be on AM2 or not. Would be sweet if it were.
Old 04-04-07, 09:03 PM   #16
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
I am wondering if maybe Barcelona will be on AM2? If so I could easily see why it would be wise to invest in an AM2 based setup right now.

Then again if AMD releases Barcelona onto a different socket I'd be best to go with a Core2 setup for now.l

This is kind of creepy, I'm really feeling like I should just get the 6000+CrossHair once AMD cuts thier prices.

I'm gonna' look into Barcelona a lot more now. I'm curious if it will be on AM2 or not. Would be sweet if it were.
Yea...I'm gonna hold out just to see what the price cuts are gonna be. I'm gonna get the 6000, and then probably later this year get the Barcelona. I really hope that AMD have the crap together.....
Old 04-04-07, 09:06 PM   #17
Redeemed

http://developer.amd.com/assets/GDC2...lticore_JB.pdf

^^^Not sure if you've seen that already, but it has some awesome info on Barcelona. So far nothing in regards to the socket it will use though.

I noticed you got your 5200 at 3Ghz. Nice. Maybe the 6000 will be able to 3.2 or 3.4 then. I'm liking the idea of going AM2 more and more dude.
Old 04-04-07, 09:10 PM   #18
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
http://developer.amd.com/assets/GDC2...lticore_JB.pdf

^^^Not sure if you've seen that already, but it has some awesome info on Barcelona. So far nothing in regards to the socket it will use though.

I noticed you got your 5200 at 3Ghz. Nice. Maybe the 6000 will be able to 3.2 or 3.4 then. I'm liking the idea of going AM2 more and more dude.
And the thing is, I know that I can probably get it at 3.1...but I'm not gonna push it...

And thanks for the pdf...I have not seen this one yet.
Old 04-04-07, 09:15 PM   #19
Redeemed

Quote:
And the thing is, I know that I can probably get it at 3.1...but I'm not gonna push it...

And thanks for the pdf...I have not seen this one yet.
There's a lot of great info on the design of Barcelona, but so far no mention on what socket it will use. I skimmed through that PDF, and it does have a lot of awesome info in regards to the design of Barcelona, but again no mention of what socket it will use.

I'm still searchin' though...

-Edit-

I think "Barcelona" will be an Opteron only design...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISSCC, SAN FRANCISCO -- February 12, 2007
AMD (NYSE: AMD) today unveiled more industry-defining architectural features for its upcoming native Quad-Core AMD Opteron™ processors (codenamed “Barcelona”) during a presentation to the International Solid State Circuits Conference (ISSCC). In addition to the estimated 40-percent performance advantage native Quad-Core AMD Opteron™ processors can offer over the competition in benchmark testing, AMD’s redesigned microarchitecture will enable new power- and thermal-management techniques, strengthening the industry-leading performance-per-watt AMD Opteron processors currently deliver today. Among the new features are enhancements to AMD PowerNow!™ technology for dynamic adjustment of individual core frequencies.

“AMD has always focused on delivering increased levels of performance without making compromises in power efficiency,” said Randy Allen, corporate vice president, Server and Workstation Division, AMD. “‘Barcelona’ will build on this value proposition while delivering industry-changing dynamics to the x86 server market, much like the original AMD Opteron processor did in 2003. New power management features, unique to the x86 market, combined with industry-leading performance and stability, make it clear why AMD remains the smarter choice for enterprises.”
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/A...115794,00.html

So I'm now thinking that Barcelona will be Socket F only. And later in the year they will release a new Athlon64 revion based on a new core, probably a derivative of Barcelona for socket AM2. Seems possible...

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=236

Quote:
Barcelona will be a Socket F processor and will be compatible with existing Socket F motherboards after a BIOS flash.
Interesting... So the desktop variant (A64) will more than likely come as a core revision for AM2 motherboards I bet.
Old 04-04-07, 09:31 PM   #20
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
There's a lot of great info on the design of Barcelona, but so far no mention on what socket it will use. I skimmed through that PDF, and it does have a lot of awesome info in regards to the design of Barcelona, but again no mention of what socket it will use.

I'm still searchin' though...
I bet it will be a new socket.

Even still, I am willing to get it.

Old 04-04-07, 09:38 PM   #21
Redeemed

Quote:
I bet it will be a new socket.

Even still, I am willing to get it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_K8L

Quote:
For the second half of 2007, HyperTransport 3.0 and Socket AM2+ will be unveiled, which are designed for the specific implementation of the aforementioned consumer quad core desktop chip series,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_AM2%2B

Quote:
The Socket AM2+ is the immediate successor to Socket AM2 currently used in several AMD processors such as Athlon 64 X2, Socket AM2+ will be a mid migration from Socket AM2 to Socket AM3 and will be fully compatible with Socket AM2, so processors designed for Socket AM2 will work on Socket AM2+ motherboards and vice versa.
So technically the new cores for AM2+ will work on current AM2 mobos, it is just certain new features in the AM2+ cores will not work on current AM2 mobos.

And some info on socket AM3:

Quote:
The Socket AM3, is a CPU socket designed by AMD for desktop processors, including the performance, mainstream and value segments. It has an expected release in late 2007 to early 2008, as a replacement for Socket AM2. AM3 should be able to run either DDR2 or DDR3 SDRAM memory, but not on the same motherboard; DDR3 runs at higher clock frequencies while drawing less power than DDR2 memory.

Socket AM3 is a part of AMD's next generation of CPU sockets.

AMD has confirmed that AM3 processors will work in AM2 motherboards; however, AM2 processors will not be compatible with AM3 motherboards. This is because AM2 chips lack the proper memory controller for DDR3 memory (since AMD chips have the memory controller directly on the processor itself, instead of on the Northbridge), and AM3 processors will have a memory controller that supports both DDR2 and DDR3 (though it lacks the capability of running both at the same time). This has the benefit buyers of current Socket AM2 motherboards will be able to freely upgrade to AM3 processors. They will not enjoy DDR3 memory without a AM3/DDR3 board, but they can take advantage of other features of faster processors, ensuring AM2 boards a longer life than without the compatibility.

Socket AM3 is assumed to be introduced with the AMD's next generation processors based on the new microarchitecture, commonly referred as "K10", and not "K8L", the codename that has been made up at Intel, but nowadays used for the energysaving notebookchips.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_AM3

Hmm... Interesting. I'm gonna' look into the advantages of AM2+ over AM2. If there aren't any really important ones from a gaming perspective- I will definitely go with the 6000+CrossHair setup.

Sorry to derail your thread Disciple, but I guess this kind of plays out as insentive now for some people to go AM2 over Core2 if they are in the market for a new rig.
Old 04-04-07, 09:44 PM   #22
Redeemed

Quote:
Socket AM2+ will have some differences however that will be used in AM2+ chips, there are two main features in Socket AM2+ not in Socket AM2:

HyperTransport 3.0 operating at up to 2 GHz
Advanced power features summarized as having split power planes, probably one for CPU Cores, and the other for the Integrated Memory controller (IMC), this will help for more advanced power management control.
AMD confirmed that AM2 processors will work in AM2+ motherboards and AM2+ processors will work on AM2 motherboards. However, due to the lack of support of HyperTransport 3.0 and separated power planes in Socket AM2 motherboards, AM2+ chips will be limited to the specifications of Socket AM2 (HyperTransport 2.0 at the speed of 1 GHz, one power plane for both Cores and IMC). AM2 chips will not benefit from faster HyperTransport and separated power planes on AM2+ motherboards as they do not support them, AM2+ motherboard then fall back to compatibility mode using AM2 specifications.
So in a nutshell... that doesn't tell us much. Having the power routed as it will be for AM2+ could be a huge benefit, or not.

But I doubt the lack of HyperTransport 3.0 support will be all the big a deal. It is just those seperate power lanes that has me concerned.

So, here is what I am thinking of doing:

For now I will go with an Athlon64 X2 6000 with the ASUS CrossHair mobo. When the new revision for AM2+ come out, I will upgrade to an AM2+ chip. If necessary, I will later get an AM2+ mobo. That seems the most logical route to take.

So now, the only thing needed is for AMD to actually sell the 6000 for about $200- then it is a done deal.
Old 04-04-07, 09:45 PM   #23
DiscipleDOC

I started to make a new thread about this...but this one will do just fine.

All I can say is.....
Old 04-04-07, 09:46 PM   #24
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
So in a nutshell... that doesn't tell us much. Having the power routed as it will be for AM2+ could be a huge benefit, or not.

But I doubt the lack of HyperTransport 3.0 support will be all the big a deal. It is just those seperate power lanes that has me concerned.

So, here is what I am thinking of doing:

For now I will go with an Athlon64 X2 6000 with the ASUS CrossHair mobo. When the new revision for AM2+ come out, I will upgrade to an AM2+ chip. If necessary, I will later get an AM2+ mobo. That seems the most logical route to take.

So now, the only thing needed is for AMD to actually sell the 6000 for about $200- then it is a done deal.
Well, I can't let you outdo me...so when the 6000 has been slashed, I will get a M2N32 and the 6000!