Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-03-07, 01:23 AM   #1
jeagoss

Default XFX 7900GT + Abit KN9 SLI

As stated in the title, I have an Abit KN9 SLI with two XFX 7900GT's. I have the SLI bridge installed on the video cards. The board has an AMD 5200+ X2 Processor and 4GB of DDR 800 Ram. The system runs like a dream with Slackware on it. I can start xorg with both Slackware 11 and Slackware-current running the xorg 7.1. Everything is fine until I uncomment 'Option "SLI" "1"' in my xorg.conf file. At that point, the wrench gets thrown in the machine. Xorg will start just fine, but, if I try to run any OpenGL applications, Xorg freezes. I have to remote in and manually restart the machine. I have tried numerous kernel options, searching Google for days on end, and a couple different distro's. I was running LFS for a while, and had the same problem. I have run memtest, and all of the memory tests out fine. I did try to install XP and Vista both on the machine, and the sli setup ran fine. Well, not so fine under Vista, but I won't blame the hardware

I followed the steps in the stability thread, and now I am including my output log file for some kind soul to look at and instruct me as to what I have goofed up or have not done yet.

Thanks in advance for all help.
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.log.zip (24.8 KB, 106 views)
jeagoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-07, 10:14 AM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: XFX 7900GT + Abit KN9 SLI

1.0-9631 is no longer supported for your GPU. Does this problem persist with 1.0-9755?

Also, does this problem persist if you're not using Composite?

thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-07, 02:52 PM   #3
jeagoss

Yes, the problem is the same with the newest drivers. I would say the problem seems to happen a little quicker. I switched back to the older drivers as they seemed to be a tad more stable.

I have disabled composite for now to get as many problems out of the way as possible. I have also tried removing options from my xorg.conf, such as renderaccel. Nothing seems to work.

Thank You.
Old 04-03-07, 02:55 PM   #4
jeagoss

I forgot to mention that I have upgraded to the latest bios for my KN9 board. This did not affect anything. I did a search to see if there was a newer vbios for my xfx cards, but didn't turn anything up. If you need any other information, feel free to ask. I'll give as much as I possibly can. I am truely stumped on this one.

Jef
Old 04-03-07, 02:56 PM   #5
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I'm not really clear on whether disabling Composite had any impact?
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-07, 04:33 PM   #6
jeagoss

Enabling and Disable Composite has 100% no impact. If I run without composite, and without SLI, and startx and then run an opengl application, ie glxgears, everything is fine.

If I enable SLI, leave composite disabled, startx and then run an opengl application, everything locks up.

It seems to be very specific to opengl running with SLI enabled. If I enable SLI, and then use the computer without ever touching an opengl app, it runs rock solid. Very quick graphics, drawing is beautiful, and no problems. But, if I run glxgears or an opengl screensaver, xorg will lock up immediatly.
Old 04-03-07, 11:34 PM   #7
jeagoss

I upgraded to the latest drivers (9755) and explicitly disabled composite.

I ran into the same problem. I have included the debug log here.

Jef
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.log.zip (24.6 KB, 92 views)
Old 04-10-07, 01:18 AM   #8
jeagoss

I am trying a different motherboard. It seems that a lot of people are having problems with the KN9 with SLI. It also seems to be a problem with it's 939 counterpart the KN8-SLI. I will report back with results.

Old 04-14-07, 02:29 AM   #9
jeagoss

Well, after spending 100+ bux on the ABIT board, I decided to plop another 100+ bux on an ASUS board (ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe), I can say I have solved the lockup problem. I have pretty much the same setup. AMD 5200+, 4G DDR400, and 2 XFX 7900GT 256M PCI-e 16x cards. Everything is running perfect now. I am saying this after switching the KN9-SLI for another KN9-SLI also. (Shop I bought it from had a few in stock and was gracious enough to let me swap.) Both KN9-SLI boards had the same problems.

I have read about people have problems with the ABIT KN8-SLI and ABIT KN9-SLI in combination with Linux, but I have not read about anyone solving those problems. I can't say for 100% sure that the boards have problems with Linux, but I can say that switching out the ABIT board I had with the new ASUS board has solved everything. I still get a rare black screen in UT2k4, but that is more because I am testing different resolutions.

So, just as a heads up, if you plan on getting a KN9-SLI for your Linux box, be prepared for some head aches. If you already have the KN9-SLI, buy a bottle of Advil.

As for the fate of the KN9-SLI I own, it worked perfect under Windows. I guess I will be upgrading my Windows box now.

Jef