Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-03-07, 11:58 PM   #1
mullet

Default Blu-Ray wth???

I come here from time to time and try and keep up with all the blu-ray vs hd-dvd stuff and I see 7 pages of blu-ray disk and 3 pages of hd-dvd, what is going on, I thought all of you were hardcore hd-dvd people. Since blu-ray has moved to VC-1 ( I think thats right? ) everyone is now moving over?
Old 04-04-07, 12:26 AM   #2
evilchris

Default Re: Blu-Ray wth???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullet
I come here from time to time and try and keep up with all the blu-ray vs hd-dvd stuff and I see 7 pages of blu-ray disk and 3 pages of hd-dvd, what is going on, I thought all of you were hardcore hd-dvd people. Since blu-ray has moved to VC-1 ( I think thats right? ) everyone is now moving over?
I don't post in either thread as I use Netflix. There are also quite a few PS3 fanboys here, hence BD fanboys.
Old 04-04-07, 12:27 AM   #3
1337_Like_ThaT
O.U.T.L.A.W.

Go to your local BestBuy and compare what titles are available for BluRay and titles for HD DVD and you will know why BluRay has the advantage

As for myself I'm neutral, do not hate either format but have a much larger blu ray collection due to having better movies on that format period. I believe this can be said by BD and NON-BD fanbois unlike what other people think

Gaming Rig
Inte Core 2 Duo 6700 @ 3.2ghz | EVGA nForce 680i | G.Skill DDR2 800mhz 4-4-4-12 @ 2.0v | Western Digital RaptorX 150GB | Western Digital 500GB SATA II | EVGA 8800GTS 512MB | Plextor PX-716SA DVD-RW | Plextor PX-755SA DVD-RW DL | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 | Antec 900 BLK | Dell FPW 2005 20.1" WS | IceMat 2nd. Ed. MousePad | Logitech G15 | Logitech G9 |

160GB (60GB) PS3 Owner | DS3 Controllers | PSN: Res215dg
PSP 3000 Black + 16GB Memory Stick Duo *Locked and Ready for Resistance Retribution*
1337_Like_ThaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-07, 12:33 AM   #4
Zelda_fan

Quote:
most of the blu-ray fans feel the need to spam the forum
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-07, 12:40 AM   #5
Neophyte
Resistance is futile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan
most of the blu-ray fans feel the need to spam the forum
With good reason.
AMD64 X2 4800+ (2,4G) 2x1MB Toledo
Asus Extreme N7900GTX
Samsung Syncmaster 970P
Creative SoundBlaster X-FI Elite PRO 7.1
Logitech Z-5500 5.1 THX
OCZ 2x1GB PC4000 Platinum EB Series Dual Channel Kit
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300GB (S-ATA / 16MB)
Lian Li PC-7A Plus
Tagan EasyCon TG580-U15 - 580 Watt
Lite-on SOHW1653S
Logitech Mx 518
Logitech G15
SennHeiser PC160 Heads

HT: Pioneer PDP 507XD, B&W 703, Marantz PM-15S1, Marantz DV7600, Marantz SA7001, MJ acoustics ref 1 mkII, Monster Cable.
Neophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-07, 12:42 AM   #6
mullet

haha ok^^^, well I read the article on HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray and then I realized the both are now using VC-1 ( Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD ). I guess its up to the movie studios as 1337_Like_ThaT stated.
Old 04-04-07, 12:47 AM   #7
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337_Like_ThaT
Go to your local BestBuy and compare what titles are available for BluRay and titles for HD DVD and you will know why BluRay has the advantage

As for myself I'm neutral, do not hate either format but have a much larger blu ray collection due to having better movies on that format period. I believe this can be said by BD and NON-BD fanbois unlike what other people think
My BB has an about equal selection. I also feel HD DVD has better titles. I don't like rubbish like AvP. I also feel people think BD has some huge number of titles available compared to HD DVD but this is also not the case. It's about 243 v 230 at the moment, an insignificant difference/
Old 04-04-07, 06:48 AM   #8
superklye

I've been to three of the four Best Buys in Milwaukee and all of them have equal shelf space devoted to both format but HD DVD is almost always emptied out while BD is filled to the gills.

At least in Milwaukee, they can't move BDs.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-07, 07:20 AM   #9
betterdan

The Best Buys we have around here seem about equal on HD DVD Blu-ray coverage.
I haven't bought anymore HD DVDs simply because there aren't really any titles out there that I want. I still support HD DVD though.
Old 04-04-07, 08:24 AM   #10
OWA

Quote:
I don't know...to me it's just a matter of things balancing out. The forum was very anti-blu-ray/pro HD DVD b/c only HD DVD users were posting. Hardly anyone had the capability to play blu-ray titles at the time so there wasn't much reason for any blu-ray info to be posted. Now you have several people with the capability to play blu-ray titles and once people saw there wasn't much difference (i.e. blu-ray isn't the devil), they started voicing their support/opinions/info, etc. So basically, now it's much more balanced b/c you have HD DVD users AND blu-ray users posting instead of just HD DVD users.

Heh, the blu-ray titles thread probably has a lot of pages b/c I've bought a lot of titles. My preference for blu-ray is mostly b/c I'd much rather use the PS3 as a player (my HD DVD player is the x360 addon) and partly b/c I think blu-ray has a better selection of titles available (so far). There are titles I want in both formats though, hence a player for each. Anyway, it doesn't really have much to do with the format itself since I don't notice any difference, most of the time (when I do, it's usually on the early MPEG-2 blu-ray titles).

Blu-ray hasn't moved exclusively to VC-1. They still use MPEG-2, AVC (MPEG-4) and VC-1. It's mostly the dual-format titles that end up with VC-1 on blu-ray. A lot of the newer blu-ray only titles use AVC but there are still a lot of MPEG-2 titles also though.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-07, 09:00 AM   #11
superklye

The codec(s) used is decided by the studio. It's weird, though, that a number of movies that have come out in both formats have been done in VC-1 for HD DVD and MPEG-2 for BD. It seems to me that if you've already done VC-1 for HD DVD, it would make sense to just use that on the BD as well, saving space and allowing for more content on the BD release.

Have yet to see that, though.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-07, 12:30 PM   #12
Bman212121

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWA
I don't know...to me it's just a matter of things balancing out. The forum was very anti-blu-ray/pro HD DVD b/c only HD DVD users were posting. Hardly anyone had the capability to play blu-ray titles at the time so there wasn't much reason for any blu-ray info to be posted. Now you have several people with the capability to play blu-ray titles and once people saw there wasn't much difference (i.e. blu-ray isn't the devil), they started voicing their support/opinions/info, etc. So basically, now it's much more balanced b/c you have HD DVD users AND blu-ray users posting instead of just HD DVD users.

Heh, the blu-ray titles thread probably has a lot of pages b/c I've bought a lot of titles. My preference for blu-ray is mostly b/c I'd much rather use the PS3 as a player (my HD DVD player is the x360 addon) and partly b/c I think blu-ray has a better selection of titles available (so far). There are titles I want in both formats though, hence a player for each. Anyway, it doesn't really have much to do with the format itself since I don't notice any difference, most of the time (when I do, it's usually on the early MPEG-2 blu-ray titles).

Blu-ray hasn't moved exclusively to VC-1. They still use MPEG-2, AVC (MPEG-4) and VC-1. It's mostly the dual-format titles that end up with VC-1 on blu-ray. A lot of the newer blu-ray only titles use AVC but there are still a lot of MPEG-2 titles also though.
QFT on all accounts. This sub topic started out with all kinds of HD-DVD fans spewing out stuff, then they settled down, and it turned the other way for a while with the Blu-ray fans doing the same. I think now it has finally come down a notch and everyone can actually post a little without getting insta-flamed.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote