Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-04-07, 10:18 AM   #1
niezdrowywglowe

Default GeForce 4 440 - cyclically hangs up - with windows works great :/

Hi,

I've tried to look for solution on the web and this forum, but can't find nothig :/ I tested this card with several GNU/Linux distributions, and with several computers. When I play, screen is freezing cyclically for 5-10 seconds, and then I can play for 10-15 seconds, and then again the screen is freezing, over and over :/ I've tried all driver versions - nothing helps. I'm really confused - with windows this card works perfectly.

Thanks for any help,
niez
niezdrowywglowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-07, 10:43 AM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: GeForce 4 440 - cyclically hangs up - with windows works great :/

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58498
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-07, 12:52 PM   #3
niezdrowywglowe

Thanks, so - it's a bug. Not good. Bug, with driver for so old card? :/
Old 04-04-07, 01:04 PM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I don't understand your response. The URL I provided requires that you provide additional information. Right now, you haven't provided any information to indicates whether this is a bug, or where the bug exists.
Old 04-05-07, 02:23 AM   #5
niezdrowywglowe

zander:

Please check the following before reporting stability problems:

* If you are seeing severe stability problems and you are using a Linux 2.6 SMP kernel on a system with multiple processors (or processor cores) in combination with more than one GPU, please search the output of `dmesg` for the presence of the message below after the system has just been started:

PCI: Using MMCONFIG

If this message is present, please boot the system with the pci=nommconf kernel parameter and check if the stability problems continue to reproduce.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
- NO! I have only one processor.

* If your system is equipped with a dual-core processor, booting with the idle=poll kernel parameter may improve reliability with some Linux kernels.

- NO! I have only one core.

* If you are using a Linux/x86-64 2.6 kernel and see the warning message below during the installation and/or in the system log file(s) when the NVIDIA kernel module is loaded, please upgrade your kernel to Linux 2.6.11 or a more recent stable Linux 2.6 release. Linux/x86-64 2.6 kernels < Linux 2.6.11 have an accounting bug in their implementation of the change_page_attr() interface that can trigger a kernel BUG(). The 1.0-7174 and 1.0-7676 NVIDIA Linux/x86-64 graphics driver releases work around this problem by disabling use of the change_page_attr() interface on these kernels.

NVRM: Your Linux kernel has known problems in its implementation of
NVRM: the change_page_attr() kernel interface.
NVRM:
NVRM: The NVIDIA graphics driver will attempt to work around these
NVRM: problems, but system stability may be adversely affected.
NVRM: It is recommended that you update to Linux 2.6.11 (or a newer
NVRM: Linux kernel release).

- NO! I have 32 bit x86 processor.

* If you are using the 1.0-7676 NVIDIA Linux/x86-64 graphics driver release and a Linux/x86-64 2.6 kernel < Linux 2.6.11, but know that your kernel has a working implementation of the change_page_attr() kernel interface function (e.g. RHEL4's Linux 2.6.9-22.3.EL beta kernel), you can pass the NVIDIA kernel module the NVreg_UseCPA=1 kernel module option to re-enable use of this interface. The 1.0-8174 and more recent NVIDIA Linux graphics driver releases will automatically detect affected kernels and enable use of the change_page_attr() interface when it is safe to use.

* If you are using a Linux/x86-64 kernel >= Linux 2.6.11 and < Linux 2.6.14, please also see http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57990 for important information on updating the 1.0-7174 or 1.0-7676 NVIDIA Linux/x86-64 graphics driver releases to work around a kernel bug in the global_flush_tlb() kernel interface function. If you are using the 1.0-8174 or a more recent NVIDIA Linux graphics driver release, no manual update is necessary.

* If you see warning messages similar to those below in the system log file(s) when starting the X server or OpenGL applications, then please update your kernel. If the problem persists with the latest distribution kernel, then please contact your distributor and submit a bug report to linux-bugs@nvidia.com. Please also read the section on Cache Aliasing in the NVIDIA Linux graphics driver README.

NVRM: bad caching on address 0x100362d0000: actual 0x163 != expected 0x173
NVRM: bad caching on address 0x100362d1000: actual 0x163 != expected 0x173
NVRM: bad caching on address 0x1003be7c000: actual 0x163 != expected 0x173
NVRM: bad caching on address 0x1003be7d000: actual 0x163 != expected 0x173

- NO! No warnings.

* For any problem that involves instability, you should always verify that you are using the most recently released BIOS for the motherboard.

- I have tested my card with several computers - I should upgrade all of them? They aren't old mainboards!

Please note: if you have checked the above items and continue to experience stability problems, please submit a bug report (see http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46678 for information on how to submit bug reports).

Thanks!

- So, I think, this must be a bug :/
Old 04-05-07, 10:58 AM   #6
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

zander isn't in this thread. From what you quoted above, you did not follow the instructions here:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46678
Old 04-05-07, 11:17 AM   #7
niezdrowywglowe

O.K., I'm back with new experiences. I've tried this card with FreeBSD. It works much better - the same thing is happening, but much rarely. Playing is possible now, but:

I have now new driver! For FreeBSD kernel! All POSIX systems (I meen Solaris too) have this problems?

:/

I think it's really a bug, i will send all this things like nvidia-bug-report.log soon ...

:/
Old 04-05-07, 11:41 AM   #8
niezdrowywglowe

O.K. Now i have the same thing :/