Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-06-07, 12:50 AM   #1
nrdstrm

Default Looking for TV Help (new purchase)

Alrighty you A/V gurus...I'm looking for the absolutely most inexpensive "quality" Plasma or LCD tv (42 or 50 inch) that is capable of 1080p. Please give reasons why you chose Plasma vs LCD, etc....
Thanks in advance!

On Any Given Sunday!
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-07, 07:18 AM   #2
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Default Re: Looking for TV Help (new purchase)

Plasma is the worst of the worst I feel... if it is only between those 2, go with an LCD... don't have a recommendation on actual make/model because I haven't personally owned any LCDs.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-07, 08:42 AM   #3
shabby
Forcefed GXP

Inexpensive, plasma, 1080p.... no such thing.
If you want a good 1080p lcd look at the sharp aquos line, they're getting cheaper and cheaper.
Old 04-06-07, 08:47 AM   #4
superklye

Or get a Westinghouse LCD. The 37" and 42" are 1080p and pretty damn cheap.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-07, 09:17 AM   #5
Burner_Tbird2
The Objectivist Gamer

Westinghouse 37" = $1000 + Shipping

Sharp Aquos 37" = $1450 + Shipping

Having seen both I'd say the Sharp is worth the extra $ if you're going to be watching any Standard Def signals as the Westie doesn't handle those very well. The Sharp also has better black levels than the Westie.
8Gb G.Skill 1600
Silverstone 750W PSU
Corsair H80 Liquid Cooler
http://www.patriotsjetteam.com

PSN: BurnerDeuce
Folding For nVNews Team #35216
Burner_Tbird2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-07, 09:29 PM   #6
nrdstrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner_Tbird2
Westinghouse 37" = $1000 + Shipping

Sharp Aquos 37" = $1450 + Shipping

Having seen both I'd say the Sharp is worth the extra $ if you're going to be watching any Standard Def signals as the Westie doesn't handle those very well. The Sharp also has better black levels than the Westie.
Well, I only have 22 HD channels...So I guess I should go for the Sharp...good advice guys..Will prolly be a month or 2 (I tend to overresearch things)...Good to know about the Westie and SD...Thanks

On Any Given Sunday!
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-07, 11:59 PM   #7
superklye

If you have a Cost Co near you, the 42" Aquos is on sale for $1499 right now.
Old 04-07-07, 03:21 AM   #8
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt
Plasma is the worst of the worst I feel... if it is only between those 2, go with an LCD... don't have a recommendation on actual make/model because I haven't personally owned any LCDs.
What's wrong with plasmas? There's almost no burn-in issues anymore and the colours are much better than on lcds. Contrast ratio is also higher for plasmas. SD content also looks better on plasmas.

Imho:
If you want a 32" - get an LCD but if you want a 40"+ screen plasma or projection is still the way to go.

Old 04-08-07, 04:38 PM   #9
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3
What's wrong with plasmas? There's almost no burn-in issues anymore
Yeah the burn in problems still exist, granted not quite to the extent that they used to. Several plasma manufacturers are trying to get rid of their inventory by saying otherwise IMO.

Plasmas also produce a lot more heat and use a lot more electricity, and unlike LCD's they get increasingly dim over their lifespan, whereas LCD's are as bright as the day you got them until the backlight burns out, which is fixable in many cases. Sony and a few others have already stopped making plasma displays in favor of LCD's for this and other reasons.

Plus from what I hear the Aquos displays beat most plasmas when it comes to contrast ratio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
If you have a Cost Co near you, the 42" Aquos is on sale for $1499 right now.
Is this actually in the stores or is it online only? I haven't been to a costco lately but I've never liked their TV selection. I am actually thinking about grabbing an Aquos tomorrow instead of the westinghouse if it is available at costco, namely because costco offers a 90 day return period and a free 2 year extended warranty (making it upwards of 3 years worth of coverage.)

I don't want to order it online though, it takes them 20 days and 99 bux to ship the damn thing.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-07, 05:08 PM   #10
superklye

I dunno if it's online only or in stores, too. We don't have Cost Co in WI...my old roommate just sent me the link yesterday because he was thinking about getting it.
Old 04-09-07, 04:55 AM   #11
retsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK
Yeah the burn in problems still exist, granted not quite to the extent that they used to. Several plasma manufacturers are trying to get rid of their inventory by saying otherwise IMO.

Plasmas also produce a lot more heat and use a lot more electricity, and unlike LCD's they get increasingly dim over their lifespan, whereas LCD's are as bright as the day you got them until the backlight burns out, which is fixable in many cases. Sony and a few others have already stopped making plasma displays in favor of LCD's for this and other reasons.

Plus from what I hear the Aquos displays beat most plasmas when it comes to contrast ratio.

Is this actually in the stores or is it online only? I haven't been to a costco lately but I've never liked their TV selection. I am actually thinking about grabbing an Aquos tomorrow instead of the westinghouse if it is available at costco, namely because costco offers a 90 day return period and a free 2 year extended warranty (making it upwards of 3 years worth of coverage.)

I don't want to order it online though, it takes them 20 days and 99 bux to ship the damn thing.
go with the westinghouse 42w2, i heard the picture quality is better then the aquos and the unit itself is cheaper if you shop online. the only problem i have with the westinghouse is the remote sucks big time but since i use my cable remote i dont see it as much of a problem.
retsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 09:46 AM   #12
Rakeesh

Yeah I would prefer the westinghouse mainly because of the PIP function. But this one is $200 cheaper than the cheapest online price I have found, and its available locally. I just don't like making any major purchases online.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote