Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-09-07, 01:30 PM   #13
DiscipleDOC

Default Re: Looking for TV Help (new purchase)

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
If you have a Cost Co near you, the 42" Aquos is on sale for $1499 right now.
Sam's Club also.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 02:02 PM   #14
superklye

o rly?

Are they the same store just different names, kinda like how it's Boston Store here in Milwaukee, but down in Chicago the same store is like Perry Mason Scott or something?
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 02:03 PM   #15
Marvel_us
FOOL!

I don't think so. I think Walmart owns Sams Club.

60gb PS3 Owner
PSNid: Marvel_us
Marvel_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 02:41 PM   #16
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC
Sam's Club also.
Hmm...I don't see any sharp TV's on sam's club's website. I do see all of the good westinghouse models on the other hand, but on the website it also says that they are online order only. Screw that.

Costco's offer is just too tempting to pass. Free 2 year extended warranty and a 90 day return policy. And best yet, I don't have to wait for it to be delivered, nor worry about expensive as f*ck return shipping if its DOA. And this TV includes NTSC (analog terrestrial) ATSC (digital terrestrial/hd) and QAM (for cablecard) tuners.

Only bad side is that it doesn't have PIP, which I really want for my PC setup (I want to be able to watch TV at the corner of the screen while using my PC for whatever.) But I can live without PIP. I would definitely pick the westinghouse if it was available locally though, as PIP is more important than the tuners to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel_us
I don't think so. I think Walmart owns Sams Club.
Yep. Costco and Sam's club are direct competitors to each other as they both target the same kind of customer. Sam's club is named after the guy who founded wal-mart.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 02:45 PM   #17
superklye

You buy this and I'll trade you my Westy 32w6.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 07:08 PM   #18
ad hoc
My spoon is too big...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrdstrm
Alrighty you A/V gurus...I'm looking for the absolutely most inexpensive "quality" Plasma or LCD tv (42 or 50 inch) that is capable of 1080p. Please give reasons why you chose Plasma vs LCD, etc....
Thanks in advance!
Is there any partiular reason you want to go LCD/Plasma? I mean, unless you are putting it on a wall you will be paying for a premium that many people don't really need...

Personally, if you want to go with "inexpensive", I'd seriously look at DLP and/or LCoS (or SXRD or whatever Sony uses). In my opinion (and many others) DLP/LCoS has the best price/performance ratio of any display technology in the market except CRT. These displays offer better contrast and color repoduction than LCD's, and use much less power than Plasmas.

They aren't perfect, of course. Since they are rear projection technology, they have finite bulb lives (replacable), limited viewing angle (comprared to Plasma, arguably comparable to LCD), and other platform-specific issues such as "green blob" (SXRD) or Rainbows (DLP).

To start, might I suggest looking into TVs such as:

Samsung HLS5087W (50" DLP; or the new 2007 HLT series, but more money).
Sony KDS50A2000 (50" SXRD; I think there is a new A2200 series coming out soon, too).

For a quick and dirty look at some pics I've taken of my HLS5688W, take a look at these posts:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...2&postcount=25
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...7&postcount=28
Old 04-10-07, 03:40 AM   #19
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad hoc
Is there any partiular reason you want to go LCD/Plasma? I mean, unless you are putting it on a wall you will be paying for a premium that many people don't really need...

Personally, if you want to go with "inexpensive", I'd seriously look at DLP and/or LCoS (or SXRD or whatever Sony uses). In my opinion (and many others) DLP/LCoS has the best price/performance ratio of any display technology in the market except CRT. These displays offer better contrast and color repoduction than LCD's, and use much less power than Plasmas.

They aren't perfect, of course. Since they are rear projection technology, they have finite bulb lives (replacable), limited viewing angle (comprared to Plasma, arguably comparable to LCD), and other platform-specific issues such as "green blob" (SXRD) or Rainbows (DLP).

To start, might I suggest looking into TVs such as:

Samsung HLS5087W (50" DLP; or the new 2007 HLT series, but more money).
Sony KDS50A2000 (50" SXRD; I think there is a new A2200 series coming out soon, too).

For a quick and dirty look at some pics I've taken of my HLS5688W, take a look at these posts:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...2&postcount=25
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...7&postcount=28
Well, the main reason many of us want LCD/Plasma is for games and PC usage. Projection and CRT technologies may have higher contrast ratios, but they are severely lacking when it comes to overall sharpness, viewing angles, and geometry perfection, which is extremely important for PC usage.

I've seen some people claim that some random Sony model xyz or whatever works as a great PC monitor, but when I ask them for up close pictures of it showing a windows desktop sans the blurriness and geometry problems, they suddenly quit posting.

And besides, the screens we are looking at here, particularly the westinghouse brands (which are notorious for making great HTPC television screens,) are not only smaller than a DLP of the same screen size, but they are cheaper as well.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Old 04-10-07, 10:33 AM   #20
ad hoc
My spoon is too big...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK
Well, the main reason many of us want LCD/Plasma is for games and PC usage. Projection and CRT technologies may have higher contrast ratios, but they are severely lacking when it comes to overall sharpness, viewing angles, and geometry perfection, which is extremely important for PC usage.

I've seen some people claim that some random Sony model xyz or whatever works as a great PC monitor, but when I ask them for up close pictures of it showing a windows desktop sans the blurriness and geometry problems, they suddenly quit posting.

And besides, the screens we are looking at here, particularly the westinghouse brands (which are notorious for making great HTPC television screens,) are not only smaller than a DLP of the same screen size, but they are cheaper as well.
You are probably right; unfortunately I'm not really a person to ask of relating to HTPC stuff. Then again, what is this TV going to be used for? Quickly browsing through the OP posts in this thread lead me to (1) He wants inexpensive, (2) He wants high performance, (3) He will watch 22 HD channels on his nice TV. I apologize if I missed any other declarations

It's kind of like the truck/car argument; they both get you there, however one does some things better (gas mileage, performance, handling), and the other does others better (hauling, ground clearance, ruggedness). Would you buy a truck and commute 100 miles a day to work, or buy a car to help at the ranch? It's probably quite doable in either case, but with financial burden in the first and quite a physical problem in the second.

So you would place LCD as a better performer in viewing angles than DLP? I might agree if you strictly include vertical viewing angle, but I feel horizontal angles are pretty close for these technologies.

However, I can connect my laptop to the TV and take some pics for your reference if you like -- I'm not the type of person to just quit posting. Just give me your parameters (distance, angle, reference picture/webpage, etc), and I'll do the best I can do...

Old 04-11-07, 10:28 AM   #21
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad hoc
So you would place LCD as a better performer in viewing angles than DLP? I might agree if you strictly include vertical viewing angle, but I feel horizontal angles are pretty close for these technologies.

However, I can connect my laptop to the TV and take some pics for your reference if you like -- I'm not the type of person to just quit posting. Just give me your parameters (distance, angle, reference picture/webpage, etc), and I'll do the best I can do...
Well, I don't know how DLP are *supposed* to perform off of the sales floor (which may be different given the lighting, etc) but from what I can see, they aren't any better than conventional rear projection TV's when it comes to viewing angles. Which doesn't mean that they are absolutely horrible, but they don't compare to newer LCD's.

Plus LCD's are now able to easily cross into the 1080p range for larger displays. Plasma and DLP have a harder time with this, except for the type of DLP screens that project the 3 different base colors simultaneously, but those are extremely expensive.

Old 04-11-07, 11:45 AM   #22
ad hoc
My spoon is too big...

Quote:
Well, I don't know how DLP are *supposed* to perform off of the sales floor (which may be different given the lighting, etc) but from what I can see, they aren't any better than conventional rear projection TV's when it comes to viewing angles. Which doesn't mean that they are absolutely horrible, but they don't compare to newer LCD's.

Plus LCD's are now able to easily cross into the 1080p range for larger displays. Plasma and DLP have a harder time with this, except for the type of DLP screens that project the 3 different base colors simultaneously, but those are extremely expensive.
I agree completely with your conclusion of plasmas, especially the older models which tended to be 1024x768. However, I think my TV does a pretty decent job of 1080p resolution with only a single DLP chip, and it is a 56" TV at less than $2000. Granted, the DLP chip has "only" 960x1080 physical mirrors, and the full 1920x1080 pixel image is generated by using an external rotating mirror that shifts the image multiple times a second so that the image is displayed temporally as such (assuming we are looking at four mirrors, but displaying 8 pixels):

1 2 1 2
1 2 1 2

but it's still 1080p as long as you are viewing images over intervals greater than 33us (the switching time of the DLP mirrors). That's orders of magnitude better than the response time of any LCD.

Just let me know of your particular requirements for some image captures.
Old 04-11-07, 07:38 PM   #23
betterdan

Quote:
Well, I don't know how DLP are *supposed* to perform off of the sales floor (which may be different given the lighting, etc) but from what I can see, they aren't any better than conventional rear projection TV's when it comes to viewing angles.
I have had both and the DLP set we have is much better than a rear projection crt set when it comes to viewing angle.
The 1080P on my 52 inch tv is outstanding.
Old 04-11-07, 07:47 PM   #24
J-Mag
Weapon of MassConsumption

I've been pondering the same thing for a while now. I am leaning towards the revamp of the 42in Westie with the TX series (should be out here by the end of the month):
http://www.amazon.com/Westinghouse-T.../dp/B000NIDJ3E

They are just clearing out the old models right now. The next gen LCDs are hitting the shelves during spring for many other companies too.
J-Mag is offline   Reply With Quote