Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-06-07, 09:03 PM   #1
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Windows XP Service Pack 3 Not Coming???

Quote:
The title for this newspost is easily the most significant of all 12 Short Takes Paul Thurrott has put together for the week of April 9:
Microsoft Threatens Poster of Vista SP1 Info
This is a weird one: Last week, a blogger named Ethan Allen posted a list of the 100-plus hot-fixes and patches that Microsoft plans to ship as part of Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1), due later this year. He claimed that the list was mostly derived from Microsoft's publicly available knowledge base (KB) articles, though it has never been assembled in a single place as he did on his site. He also supplied a download of the fixes, which he called the Vista SP1 Preview. Microsoft was not amused. The company sent Allen a cease and desist order, for some reason, and demanded that the blogger remove his "unauthorized redistribution of [Microsoft's] hot fixes." More problematically, from my perspective, is that Microsoft program manager Nick White was harshly critical of Allen's list in the Windows Vista blog on the Microsoft Web site. I find that offensive: Allen is an enthusiast trying to help people, and the way he's rewarded is with a legal threat and a dismissive mention in a Microsoft-run Web site. Bravo, Microsoft. What's next? Do you think you could just tar and feather the guy while you're at it?

The Truth About Vista SP1
I'm tired of Microsoft's insane posturing about Windows Vista SP1. I've written about this before, but it bears repeating. Every single time Vista SP1 comes up, some representative from Microsoft--all the way up to CEO Steve Ballmer, by the way, who has done this twice in public--acts as if the company has no idea when it will ship SP1 or what features it will include. That is not true. Microsoft will ship Windows Vista SP1 concurrently with Longhorn Server in Q3 2007 and SP1 will include a major kernel update for Vista that will bring the client OS up to speed with the version of the Windows kernel in Longhorn Server. That has been the plan for quite a while, and they all know it. Why the company can't just say, "We'd rather not discuss SP1 at this time" is beyond me. Instead, they're simply lying, and for no good reason. And that's not right, especially when there are millions of customers waiting on this release to upgrade. You'd think a company that supposedly cares about transparency as much as Microsoft would realize when they're being so, well, transparent.

And What About Windows XP Service Pack 3?
And while I'm ranting a bit, let's dredge up Windows XP Service Pack 3, which was delayed from 2005 to 2006 to 2007 and now to 2008. If you were looking for any glimpse into the mind of Microsoft, this is it: The company has completely abandoned Windows XP, and it has absolutely no plans to ever ship an XP SP3. My guess is that Microsoft will do what it did with the final Windows 2000 Service Pack: Claim years later that it's no longer needed and just ship a final security patch roll-up. This is the worst kiss-off to any Microsoft product I've ever seen, and you'd think the company would show a little more respect to its best-selling OS of all time. But the reality is, Microsoft is looking ahead to new revenue and not behind to money that's already in the bank. And though hundreds of millions of people will be running XP for years to come, despite Microsoft's best efforts at selling them a later Windows version, the company has absolutely no plans to actually support those customers. This flies in the face of its publicly-stated life cycle support plans. And it really freaks me out. It should freak you out as well.
http://www.techamok.com/?pid=2414
Old 04-06-07, 10:25 PM   #2
Redeemed

Default Re: Windows XP Service Pack 3 Not Coming???

Um, I don't see how this is news. MS has been wanting to rid themselves of excessive lagacy support- including older and dated OSs. As popular as XP is, it is still dated (heck, it was released nearly 6 years ago). And with all the issues with Vista that people seem to be having, MS is probably doing thier best to solve those issues ASAP.

This doesn't surprise me the least bit. Doesn't even bother me the least bit either.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-07, 12:51 AM   #3
Rakeesh

I think the more interesting question here is, what exactly would you want from a new XP service pack?

If you just want a combined set of updates for e.g. a fresh install, then try using one of the rollup packages available from microsoft.

Or try this: http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/updatepack.html

And FWIW: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lif...vicepacks.mspx

Quote:
SP3 for Windows XP Professional is currently planned for 1H CY2008. This date is preliminary.
But truth be told, this is an opinion piece you posted. The guy says there is no SP3, but he bases that on absolutely nothing. If microsoft has completely abandoned XP as this guy claims, then they wouldn't still be releasing any new updates as part of patch tuesday.

This guy is probably an apple fanboy or something. This is typical behavior of apple fanboys. The guy he mentioned who got the C&D letter probably received it because microsoft didn't like him calling it an SP1 preview as if it was actually what microsoft is intending on releasing. Imagine microsoft or some OEM's receiving support calls, and the customer mentions they are "running the SP1 preview." It just causes the kind of confusion that companies like microsoft prefer to avoid.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-07, 08:11 PM   #4
Vapor Trail
the way out,is the way in

As an early Vista adopter I could really care less about XP now. It works fine as it is.

IMO If you want something better or future service packs then switch to Vista.
Vapor Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-07, 06:18 PM   #5
Absolution
AbsoUI

As long as its secure, who cares if the sp comes out? XP is stable and doesn't need a sp3. If I even had xp on my regular computer, I still wouldn't care if and when SP3 came out.

I can confirm that Vista SP1 will come out before SP3 will for XP. (It only makes sense).
Absolution is offline   Reply With Quote