Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-09-07, 05:06 AM   #25
Redeemed

Default Re: AMD layes off employees,in seeking cost savings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammin
AMD will hopefully get an influx of cash from somewhere/some investor. That is the only way they can stay afloat. Sure they garnered some respect from large businesses but most large company's lease their servers and workstations, and equipment turn-around is a lot shorter as a result. The next lease rolls over the next few months will probably start swinging towards machines with the Intel CPU's again. Worse, AMD had the performance crown for quite a long while before I started seeing machines with AMD cpu's at my job. So there is also a huge lag factor. I don't think the lag swinging back to Intel will be near as long though.

If AMD cannot regain a foothold in a hurry, and they probably won't - can't, all bets are off that they remain viable unless someone hands them some cash, or Intel buys them :-) (man, that would suck!) Where is 3DFX? The cycle up one-upping the competition has much more effect these days than it did 10 years ago. Brand loyalty makes little business sense anymore.
Last I check ATi was doing better in the integrated market (think Cellphones, PDAs, etc) than Intel, plus the revenue generated by the x360 sales, computer sales (Dell, Gateway, HP, etc), generated revenue from the past several years (before Core2)- you come on here saying AMD is gonna' go under unless they recieve a miracle handout? I don't even see the logic in your argument.

And brand loyalty has nothing to do with what I'm saying. AMD still has plenty of revenue coming in. That is not the same as saying they're bringing in as much as Intel. That is to say that they are fully capable of staying afloat. How you feel otherwise eludes me.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 02:04 PM   #26
Slammin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
Last I check ATi was doing better in the integrated market (think Cellphones, PDAs, etc) than Intel, plus the revenue generated by the x360 sales, computer sales (Dell, Gateway, HP, etc), generated revenue from the past several years (before Core2)- you come on here saying AMD is gonna' go under unless they recieve a miracle handout? I don't even see the logic in your argument.

And brand loyalty has nothing to do with what I'm saying. AMD still has plenty of revenue coming in. That is not the same as saying they're bringing in as much as Intel. That is to say that they are fully capable of staying afloat. How you feel otherwise eludes me.

Wow, you certainly are a little bit touchy on this subject

I'm just participating in a discussion, if that's OK with you. If it's not, suck it up.

Just offering my own perspective, and if you feel eluded that someone can see things differently from yourself, that just says it all, doesn't it?

Chill out fella.
2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB Sli
2x 74GB Sata Raptor Raid0
2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II
X-FI Elite Pro
Dell U3011
Lian Li V2100B
Corsair HX1000
Slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 03:36 PM   #27
AthlonXP1800

AMD really had a very bad time on the last quarter, they are now starting to lose marketshare to Intel as their Q1 2007 revenue will be about $1.225bn, missed AMD $1.7bn target due to lower CPU prices and sales. AMD CPUs and ATI GPUs are getting less popular now, today AMD CPU price cuts will make it far worsen outlook on Q2 2007 revenue, it could go down to about $700m or less if sales not pick up to regain marketshare.

If R6xx and AMD quad core CPU line not sell well then AMD will be out of business.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/d...409115203.html
Intel Core i7 3770K, Corsair H80 liquid cooler with Noctua S12-1200 fan, ASUS P8Z77V with UEFI 2104, 16GB Samsung Green 30nm DDR3-RAM, Pioneer BDR-S09XLT 16x Blu-ray writer, Corsair AX850 PSU, Western Digital 2TB SATA3 hard drive, CanonScan LiDE 210 scanner, Microsoft Internet Keyboard, Microsoft Touch Explorer mouse, 32inch Sharp LC32LE600 LED TV, EVGA Geforce GTX 670 SC 4GB with Geforce 370.50 driver, 50Mb broadband Virgin Media VMDG480 Super Hub, Aspire Xplorer Midi Tower, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.
AthlonXP1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 04:09 PM   #28
Redeemed

Quote:
Wow, you certainly are a little bit touchy on this subject

I'm just participating in a discussion, if that's OK with you. If it's not, suck it up.

Just offering my own perspective, and if you feel eluded that someone can see things differently from yourself, that just says it all, doesn't it?

Chill out fella.

Touchy, nah. Annoyed by all the doom-sayers, yes.
Old 04-09-07, 04:58 PM   #29
J-Mag
Weapon of MassConsumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar
AMD has acquired assets recently. After acquisition, most companies typically trim the fat to increase operational efficiency.
Exactly, it would be WORSE news to hear that they didn't lay off anyone after the merger...
J-Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 05:12 PM   #30
Slammin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed

Touchy, nah. Annoyed by all the doom-sayers, yes.

I see

Trust me, I'd hate to see them go, for many of the reasons we all already know. And as you've said, company's go through this sort of thing all the time and AMD being the second largest cpu maker, you can bet in even a worst case scenario, someone would scoop them up, so we will see AMD technology for a long time to come, even if under a different brand :-)
2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB Sli
2x 74GB Sata Raptor Raid0
2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II
X-FI Elite Pro
Dell U3011
Lian Li V2100B
Corsair HX1000
Slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 05:19 PM   #31
Zelda_fan

haha, a12tic probably just got fired.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 05:23 PM   #32
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan
haha, a12tic probably just got fired.
LOL

Quote:
I see

Trust me, I'd hate to see them go, for many of the reasons we all already know. And as you've said, company's go through this sort of thing all the time and AMD being the second largest cpu maker, you can bet in even a worst case scenario, someone would scoop them up, so we will see AMD technology for a long time to come, even if under a different brand :-)
I do doubt that anybody would purchase AMD. Who- IBM? Sun? Intel?

No, I personally think we'll be seeing AMD just as they are for quite a while. Only difference, I hope, would be that they continue to grow as a company. As hard is it might be (Intel is pretty large and fights really well), it is very possible. Here's hoping AMD can do it.

Old 04-10-07, 07:35 AM   #33
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0
AMD on the Rebound: A Chat With Henri Richard

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles...29&cid=30&pg=7
Great find man. Good to hear they plan to come back with both fists swingin'.
Old 04-10-07, 01:25 PM   #34
a_big_burger

I will never trust Henri Richard again. He is such a lier. He painted such a rosy picture at the end of last year... and what have happened since then?
My friend lost a lot of money on AMD stocks because this bastard!

I have an old FX-55 and I have to switch to AM2 to upgrade to a decent AMD CPU.

I may switch to the dark side for the first time!

Quote:

a_big_burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-07, 10:40 PM   #35
SH0DAN
SGIRealityEngine

Send a message via ICQ to SH0DAN

Quote:

At least Henri was honest about one thing....

Quote:
and yes, we woke up the gorilla
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it. -Fred Bastiat-

The last official act of a corrupt government is to loot the nation.

When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.
P. J. O'Rourke

------------------
Q6600 g0 @3.20Ghz 1.30 VOLTS||Tr ULTIMA 90I + ||2X1Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC6400 4-3-3-7@ 400 x 8
BFG 260gtx MAXCORE55 @ 690/1420/2377 ||Asus P5K-Deluxe WiFi AP||Corsair HX520||Nec 2470WNX-BK + LG 1751S|
Lian Li PC-65B + II||Western Digital 150GB RaptorX|| Samsung 750Gb HD x3|| WD 2500KS ||Samsung 183s||SB Audigy 2 ZS||Audio Technica ESW9's +red RSA Predator|G11+MX518
SH0DAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-07, 10:44 PM   #36
Tho Jo Smale
Maximum Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_big_burger
I will never trust Henri Richard again. He is such a lier. He painted such a rosy picture at the end of last year... and what have happened since then?
My friend lost a lot of money on AMD stocks because this bastard!

I have an old FX-55 and I have to switch to AM2 to upgrade to a decent AMD CPU.

I may switch to the dark side for the first time!

You know that you only loose the money on a stock when you sell-out. If your friend bought AMD stock and it went down and he sold it.....please let me know who he is......I've got a really "good" stock tip for him.

When Shares in stock like AMD take a turn for the worse....you have 2 choices 1. Sellout and cut your losses 2. Hold on and wait for the stock to recover.

Don't Blame Henri for your friends lack of balls...and his sellout tactics.

AMD stock will be back up to $40 again....actually now is a really good time to buy. My money is on Barcelona....not on the gorilla.

JC
Thermaltake 750w PSU
HIS Radeon 4870 1024MB 800/960 Cat 9.4 Beta
Creative X-FI APU
Western Digital 640gb Sata II Harddisk
Logitech Z-640 5.1 surround speakers
Lg 52X cd r/w and Lg 16x DVD R/W Lightscribe
3dmark06 14410 http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=8600451
Newbs Helping Newbs brings a tear to my eye
Tho Jo Smale is offline   Reply With Quote