Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-09-07, 03:42 AM   #13
grey_1

Default Re: GRUB borked my system!!! Help please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
Well, I tried the recovery console- but that did not work. I typed in "fixboot" and recieved an error message. I typed in "fixmbr" and I got this message saying that if I proceed the partition tables might be damaged- so I did not proceed (I do not want to lose all of my data).

So, I am just gonna' try re-installing Kubuntu for now. Hopefully that'll solve the problem. If not, I will just re-install XP on my second hard drive, and go from there.
You get that error off a default dows install also. It's just win complaining and moaning, it's good though.
Old 04-09-07, 03:56 AM   #14
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1
You get that error off a default dows install also. It's just win complaining and moaning, it's good though.
What do you mean by "a default dows install"?

Any, just got XP installed on my secondary drive. I'm gonna' leave XP on this drive (it is my Primary Slave- the drive Kubunto was on originally), transfer my files over from the Primary Master (the drive with the original XP install and all my files and documents) to this Primary slave (the one with the new XP install), then re-install Kubuntu on my Primary Master (the drive with the original XP on it).

Whew, this turned out to be far more of a pain than I anticipated. Least I'm back up and running... sort of. Going through all the Windows Updates now, then to transfer my files, re-install my games, ugh.

Oh well. Gives me somethin' to do.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 03:59 AM   #15
grey_1

Lol, the coffee hadn't reached my fingers yet. A default "windows" install gives the same warning about non-standard partitions. Should have remembered to mention that...
Old 04-09-07, 05:13 AM   #16
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1
Lol, the coffee hadn't reached my fingers yet. A default "windows" install gives the same warning about non-standard partitions. Should have remembered to mention that...
I think I know what you are getting at now.

My copy of windows (the installation CD) is from 2001, when XP was first released. Thus it has no updates of any sort. It is as barebones basic a copy of XP Pro as you can get. Would that be why the recovery console didn't work?
Old 04-09-07, 06:20 AM   #17
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
I think I know what you are getting at now.

My copy of windows (the installation CD) is from 2001, when XP was first released. Thus it has no updates of any sort. It is as barebones basic a copy of XP Pro as you can get. Would that be why the recovery console didn't work?
You didn't get the "repair windows" option after booting from the cd? Is it a full install or upgrade cd?

Mine all have sp2 either slipstreamed or bought that way, so I can't really answer, but that sure could cause a bit of trouble if you don't have the recovery/repair option.
Old 04-09-07, 04:24 PM   #18
Redeemed

No, I had the option to enter the recovery console, and that is what I did. But I'm thinking since the CD had absolutely no updates on it and the Windows installation was fully updated, that is why I was unable to successfully repair the MBR.

Seems to make sense, atleast to me.