Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-08-07, 06:14 AM   #1
Lurgen

Default Display settings not being saved after reboot (tip!)

Note: this post relates to Ubuntu 7.04 (yes, a beta version) and the x86 9755 official nVidia drivers.

Linux these days is supposed to be all about replacing Windows. Or at least being competitive. Right now though, it's almost laughable. Even the "easy" distros like Ubuntu are a nightmare to get going.

So here's something neither nVidia nor Ubuntu documented...

The nvidia-settings utility, which you use to setup your display, must be run as root. Of course, you can't log onto X Windows as root, nor can you force it to run as root through the Applications menu. Instead, you must bring up a terminal prompt (you can find this under Applications/Accessories), and type sudo /usr/bin/nvidia-settings.

Then, and only then, will your settings "stick".

Why is it necessary to do this? Well, because Ubuntu isn't smart enough to detect that the utility requires escalated rights, the developers never thought to offer a "Run As" facility for the menus, and the guys at nVidia write lousy documentation.

So lift your game people, it's not enough to just provide a lump of data - document how to use it, properly.

For what it's worth, I've been working with Linux since 1992, so if things like this are time consuming to solve for me I can't imagine what the non-geek userbase would think of Linux...
Lurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-07, 07:26 AM   #2
f1f0
Linux User

Default Re: Display settings not being saved after reboot (tip!)

The settings aren't saved ?. It is ~/.nvidia-settings-rc and it works for me. I can't attest whether nvidia-settings behaves properly with G/K/X Display Managers, but it works with startx.

Quote:
nor can you force it to run as root through the Applications menu.
gksudo would do the job, but it is unnecessary since X (hence all user's X settings) can be operated under normal user account.
f1f0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-07, 09:19 PM   #3
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

nvidia-settings does not require super-user privileges, but it does need to be able to connect to the X server in question; it is possible that something about your environment limits X connections to root. With respect to persistance of settings, please see 3. Loading Settings Automatically in the nvidia-settings manual page.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-07, 10:09 PM   #4
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Lurgen,
If you're referring to the "Save to X Configuration File" button, then yes, it should be better about reporting an error if it can't save the configuration file. I believe future releases will have better error reporting, but I'll have to check tomorrow. As always, patches are welcome.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 03:13 AM   #5
pe1chl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurgen
Then, and only then, will your settings "stick".
You must be confused. The settings never "stick".
You have to run the nvidia-settings program every time you have restarted the X server, e.g. as part of some login script or X server start script.

You are right in claiming that managing this kind of thing is a mess in Linux. Especially because everyone thinks he knows better and changes what was working before into something new that works differently and requires new study.

But, this is not a fault of nvidia-settings. Which does not require root privileges, as other people already explained.
The only fault of nvidia-settings is that it does not integrate with the driver in such a way that the saved settings are automatically applied. But, that is difficult to solve in Linux.
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 04:38 PM   #6
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

I can confirm that the "Save to X Configuration File" option will have better error reporting in the next release.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-07, 02:56 AM   #7
Xephrey

I ran into the same problem... only when I try and access it being a super user, it gives me this:

Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

(nvidia-settings:7422): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

What do I do now?

And... anyone know where I could find good webcam drivers for an integrated 1.3 webcam on an FJ3m ASUS laptop? Thanks!
Xephrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-07, 11:51 AM   #8
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

If you've not provided the root user access to the X server, then I'd expect to see those errors. Either use xhost to provide access to X, or log into X as root.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-07, 03:11 PM   #9
Xephrey

How would one log into X as root?

Sorry, I'm still pretty much a linux n00b.
Xephrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-07, 03:35 PM   #10
ellarsee

I don't think that that is quite the problem.

FWIW, once I followed the directions on the recent distributions sticky, my kubuntu install of nvidia worked fine. I've been having some difficulty in fedora though. My problems with the settings being reset on reboot seemed to be related to some script that livna installed, that would decide that I really wanted different settings than I had.

Oddly enough, when I did a reboot this morning, my settings were not screwed up. the livna script did its "magic" but didn't try to redirect output to my CRT...

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2507 Apr 29 11:30 xorg.conf.livna-config-backup
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2868 Apr 29 11:30 xorg.conf
[
ellarsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-07, 03:38 PM   #11
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Xephrey,
The same way that you log in as any other user. Or run startx as root.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-07, 04:34 PM   #12
Cambo

Send a message via Yahoo to Cambo

Netllama, by default, Ubuntu doesn't let you log in as root ;-)

Lurgen, you could use ALT-F2 to get a window that allows you to enter a command (similar to the Windows "Run..." on the Start menu), and enter "gksudo nvidia-settings", instead of opening a terminal window. I must admit that I tend to have a terminal window open at all times on a spare desktop, with a couple of tabs on it. In one, I do a "sudo bash" to get me a command prompt as root, and leave the other as my usual user. This means I can quickly get it either whenever I need them.

Cambo
Cambo is offline   Reply With Quote