Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-08-07, 11:43 AM   #1
Hambone

Default Vista and Itunes BSOD's What to do? What else to use?

I just installed Vista yesterday morning. I installed so much software and so many games... no problems at all. I'm really pleased so far. But, one of the last things on my list to do was to install Itunes again. I have an Ipod Nano. I've thought about getting a different brand of player for awhile just to get the hell away from Itunes, but I listen to a lot of podcasts and audio books. Other popular players like the SanDisk Sansa suck horrible when trying to scan through large MP3 files (over 15 minutes). I need to look at some other players again to see if they can scan through long files even close to as easily as an Ipod with a ring control.

Anway

I installed the lastest version of Itunes. Over the weekend I hadn't had any problems with Vista at all until this.

I got a BSOD right after the install and then the system would go into a BSOD right after booting up or soon after.

I finally got Itunes uninstalled and got a BSOD right after. On the next reboot it looked like Itunes was gone but I saw a process called "Ipod " and right after got another BSOD. Obviously the uninstall wasn't very thorough.

So I just reinstalled Vista from scratch, I need to make a clean Ghost image right after the install finished anyway.

What to do about Itunes though? I'd hate to go back to XP just for that!

The only replacment software I see so far is this, but it's $30:
Sveta Portable Audio
www.dbpoweramp.com/sveta-portable-audio.htm
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-07, 01:31 PM   #2
LycosV

Default Re: Vista and Itunes BSOD's What to do? What else to use?

http://retune.sourceforge.net/

I tried it on a nano my Grandfather got and worked great.
LycosV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-07, 04:15 PM   #3
XDanger
Whaaat?

Dual boot with xp ,Vista isnt ready yet unless you like fixing problems like this.
Old 04-08-07, 05:13 PM   #4
buffbiff21
*B4NNED*

Buy one of these

Or wait till Newegg reinstates this one's $50 rebate
Old 04-08-07, 10:45 PM   #5
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffbiff21
i have zen vision W, amazing player, would never buy another ipod (had 2 in the past)
Old 04-09-07, 02:34 AM   #6
einstein_314
w00t!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Gib-McFragger=-
I have an iPod and have no problems with iTunes in Vista whatsoever.
QFT!!!
Logitech Z-5300 Speakers || Sennheiser HD555's || Logitech G7 || Logitech G15 || Windows Vista Ultimate x64
einstein_314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 03:36 PM   #7
randsom
harware junky

buy a zune.

They released firmware 1.3 no more skipping alot of issues fixed.

firware 1.4 is already in the works thats going to improve performance, add games, and new features

i have one and love it, replaced my 30 gig ipod that died.
Q6600@3.45ghz w/ultra extreme,on a xfx 680I sli, ocz pc6400,sli'd xfx 8800 gtx, 2 seagate 500 giggers in raid 0,2 samsung 18x sata lightscribe burners, x-fi platinum,pc power and cooling 750 silencer, all wrapped up in a thermaltake armor

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=11469
randsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 05:21 PM   #8
Zelda_fan

it sounds like your USB drivers are bad. iTunes runs a background program that scans your USB port in case you plug in your iPod. I personally run iTunes with Vista x64 and have zero problems. What motherboard do you have?
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-07, 05:22 PM   #9
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13
i have zen vision W, amazing player, would never buy another ipod (had 2 in the past)
people with the Zen are like the preschool kids who got made fun of for having imitation Ninja Turtles actions figures.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 09:23 PM   #10
Hambone

Weird, I thought I replied to this thread - opps.

I decided to reinstall Vista from scratch so I could get a good set of Ghost images going, starting with a 1st image made right after the install finished.

Anyway, this time around there were no problems at all. Itunes seems to be working perfectly. I had tried and uninstalled DiskKeeper before installing Itunes, something may have gone wrong there and it may not of been Itunes at all. Anyway, I did not like DiskKeeper at all, and went ahead and payed for the Perfect Disk upgrade to the new Vista compatible version.

Over the last year, I've seriously considered trying a different MP3 player - if anything to get away from Itunes. The only thing I've test driven was a Sandisk - I forget the model but it was the same size as a Nano except for being thicker. I liked it for the most part except for one flaw. I listen to a lot of audio books and podcasts. Those seem to pass the time at work better than music sometimes. The Sandisk MP3 player just sucked horrible at scanning through a long MP3 file.

On an Ipod, if you rotate more than one full circle on the control it will start increasing the scan speed to get you through a large file very fast. I'm not for sure what a Creative player would be like for that.

Not being able to scan around a large MP3 file - that's a deal breaker for me.
Old 04-09-07, 09:28 PM   #11
Hambone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan
it sounds like your USB drivers are bad. iTunes runs a background program that scans your USB port in case you plug in your iPod. I personally run iTunes with Vista x64 and have zero problems. What motherboard do you have?
It's an EVGA 680i, the motherboard drivers only exist as part of Vista. Neither NVIDIA or EVGA have released drivers newer than what comes with Vista (or so I've read). For all I know there could have been a Vista driver screwup during the installation the first time. I never bothered to check anything.

With XP, if you plugged in a USB device and did not have drivers loaded a popup would appear telling you that because you don't have proper drivers you're only running at the slow USB 1 speed. I just assumed everything was OK (and did again this time) without even checking.

Thanks for all the tips and help
Old 04-10-07, 01:35 AM   #12
radekhulan

You can always install RockBox on your iPod and make it 10x better player (and manage it via simple file copy and/or file sync, ID3 tags are updated within the player itself) It is 100% stable, and plays also WMA, FLAC, OGG, WavePack, etc., plus you can boot Apple FW anytime, if you ever need.

My websites: [url=http://hulan.cz/en][b]HULAN.cz[/b][/url], [url=http://radekhulan.cz/][b]RADEKHULAN.cz[/b][/url], [url=http://hulan.info/][b]HULAN.info[/b][/url], [url=http://blogcms.com/][b]BLOGCMS.com[/b][/url], [url=http://www.megablog.cz/][b]MEGABLOG.cz[/b][/url] | [url=http://hulan.cz/temp/games.png][b]Games played[/b][/url] | [URL=http://hulan.cz/temp/sestava.png][B]CPU-Z[/B][/URL] -- [URL="http://radekhulan.cz/img/stacker-830/stacker-830-bocnice.jpg"][B]case foto[/B][/URL][/size]
radekhulan is offline   Reply With Quote