Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-07, 07:33 PM   #25
Redeemed

Default Re: Evilghost would've been proud. :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1
dl the drivers here. and move them to /redeemed/home assuming you use redeemed on it.

This is what I do, it saves me grief. Others may differ.

Open terminal.

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop <-this will shut down X, bring you to a command line.

Do ls. This lists everything in the directory you are in. In this case, your home dir. This way you'll have the name of the file in front of you.

sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9755-pkg1.run <just verify the file name.

accept all the prompts, don't worry if it tells you it has to guess a path or anything.

The only problem you might have is if kubuntu doesn't install a particular file by default that the drivers need. header files and gcc come to mind.

If the install fails for a file do

apt cache search [file_name_here]

then sudo apt-get install [file_name_here]

back to the "sh NVIDIA" part to install drivers

After install...

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Look for the resolution lines that are under the "driver" section, where it will say "nvidia" for the driver. ctrl+v is pg down, ctrl+y pg up

Using the same format thats in there

Doing from memory so forgive mistakes please

"1920x1200" "1680x1050" and so on add your native, or desired res in there.

For example, if you want 1600x1200 it would look simply like this.

"1600x1200"

Then ctrl+o to save, hit enter, then ctrl+x to exit nano

reboot if you like, or do "sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start

For the easy way, look around for your nvidia settings in the menu. I don't know where it defaults to in KDE, but your display can be changed there also.
Thanks grey, will try this tonight when I install Kubuntu again.
Old 04-11-07, 07:36 PM   #26
grey_1

yw

Old 04-16-07, 10:23 AM   #27
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

I wish I had a little more time on my hands to get my Linux server back up and running (my web site has been down for over a month now!). I'm also looking into building a small Linux HTPC since I found a ton of old parts this last week. Check this out:

http://linuxmce.com

Check out the video in the screenshots page, I'm very impressed.
Old 04-16-07, 07:12 PM   #28
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
Yeah, I know. Now it isn't even loading into the Windows desktop. It just freezes at the "Welcome" screen.

I think that a lot of this is due to my copy of XP. It is from 2001 when XP was first released, and has been used hundreds if not thousands of times (It's the enterprise edition). I should probably just pick up a copy of XP Pro with SP2 and be done with it. But with Vista Ultimate Upgrade only costing about $50 more I'm wondering if that'd be wise. I don't want to go completely Vista at the moment, as I mostly game on my computer and XP seems to do that best. But I don't want to purchase a copy of an OS that wont be around much longer.

I'm half tempted to just stick with Kubuntu untill the issues with Vista get sorted out (probably the first service pack). By then DX10 games will probably be available (Crysis and others) thus providing more of a reason to go with Vista.

I haven't had this much trouble with Windows since I used ME. But even that was due to my own ignorance.
"Obtain" a copy of XP with SP2 integrated, but use your regular Product Key.

As far as I am aware, there aren't any legal implifications as you have technically purchased the right to the software, that will only be updated via windows update anyhow. i.e People make their own slimline XP install CDs perfectly legal.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Old 04-22-07, 02:35 AM   #29
Redeemed

Okay, for now I'm done with Windows.

I just put my rig back together (the one with the ASUS A8N32 SLi Dlx and Opty 185, 2GB DDR500 RAM and 2x8800GTSs 640MB each) and everything was going great (sort of... temps were still high but I know why now). I installed Windows, not a problem. Started getting the Windows updates- not problems yet. Installed Service Pack2, restarted the computer- and now anytime I go to load into Windows as soon as the splash screen loads I get a BSOD.

So here's what I'm gonna' do- I'm gonna' stick with Kubuntu for a bit. It works, can't game (to the best of my knowledge) but I've been doing a bit too much of that anyways.

The issue with my Opty running so hot is cause of the 8800GTSs. My case isn't big enough to have all these hot components in it. Thus, even with all the fans moving as much air as these fans do- it still isn't sufficient for this CPU. I've tried this setup in several other towers the same size as mine- just using a friends mobo (ASUS A8N SLi Premium) and each time the temps were high when I had the 8800 in. But, as soon as I ran my friends 6600GT- temps went incredibly low.

So... I'm gonna' buy my the CoolIT FreeZone CPU cooler, and a new copy of XP with SP2. I'll try just using my current CD-Key to see if that will work. I pray that it will- thanks for the idea PA.

Anyhow, now to get super frustrated with Linux cause I can't figure the frikken' terminal out! I'm gonna' try and install the drivers for my GTS tomorrow.
Old 04-22-07, 11:07 PM   #30
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
Okay, for now I'm done with Windows.

So you use Kubuntu huh? KDE is ok, I prefeer Gnome though, a little easier on the eyes if you want simplicity. Have you tried out 7.04 yet? It's worked very well for me so far minus display drivers but I haven't had a lot of time to fool around with it yet.

Oh, and the command line, it's pretty easy. Once you follow some HOWTOs and tutorials, you will know the basics. Good luck.
Old 04-23-07, 12:15 AM   #31
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm

So you use Kubuntu huh? KDE is ok, I prefeer Gnome though, a little easier on the eyes if you want simplicity. Have you tried out 7.04 yet? It's worked very well for me so far minus display drivers but I haven't had a lot of time to fool around with it yet.

Oh, and the command line, it's pretty easy. Once you follow some HOWTOs and tutorials, you will know the basics. Good luck.
LOL

I knew some of you would get a kick out of that.

Well, I'm thinking it might be this hard drive that I'm using. A buddy of mine went through almost the exact same problems I was having, but after he got a new hard drive he no longer had the problems (he was using my copy of XP as well).

So... I'm gonna' get me a new hard drive and see if that solves the problem. If not, oh well. Having an extra 250GB+ hard drive lying around never hurts.

But currently, yes I'm using Kubuntu and no, I have not tried the newest release though. I'm really liking the version I'm using and I'm sure I'd like it even more if I had the proper video card drivers.

Just curious- can you use Digital Vibrance in Kubuntu? Of course, you'd have to get the drivers installed first but once you do- can you adjust settings just like in Windows? Or is it kind of locked down?
Old 04-23-07, 04:37 AM   #32
grey_1

Yes, DV works. The control panel is a fair bit different, not geared towards gaming, but very straightforward.

Old 04-23-07, 04:56 AM   #33
Redeemed

Quote:
Yes, DV works. The control panel is a fair bit different, not geared towards gaming, but very straightforward.
Okay, thanks. I'm going to pick up another hard drive later today. I'll try re-installing Windows then. If it works without issue- I'll just leave Kubuntu as it. That way I'll be able to game when I want to and tinking with Kubuntu when I wish.

As it is, I'm really liking Kubuntu- I just wish I didn't have to tinker with the command prompt at all. I'm really putting that off (procrastinating) when I know I probably shouldn't. I'm just kind of tired of command prompts being that is the only thing I used for quite a while not too long ago.
Old 04-23-07, 05:40 AM   #34
grey_1

It do take getting used to, but once you learn it a bit, you'll be surprised at how natural it is to use, can save you quite a bit of grief also.

Just a suggestion - use a friends pc and dl svc pack 2, google "slipstreaming xp" and get that done prior to installing it. It really takes no time at all and can save you a lot of dl and p.i.t.a. time later.

Old 04-23-07, 06:32 AM   #35
Redeemed

Quote:
It do take getting used to, but once you learn it a bit, you'll be surprised at how natural it is to use, can save you quite a bit of grief also.
Well, I just tried installing the drivers for my 8800GTS- and it didn't work. I got to the part where I had to terminate "X" and just be at the command prompt- well "X" terminated but no command prompt showed up. Wiated several minutes- nothing happened. So I restarted the computer and am scared to try it again.

Any idea what might have gone wrong?

Quote:
Just a suggestion - use a friends pc and dl svc pack 2, google "slipstreaming xp" and get that done prior to installing it. It really takes no time at all and can save you a lot of dl and p.i.t.a. time later.
I've already tried slipstreaming SP2 onto my copy- but it doesn't want to work. Maybe I can give it another try. And if it doesn't work, oh well.
Old 04-23-07, 07:18 AM   #36
grey_1

Try mr Thurrotts tut. Worked flawlessly for me.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...slipstream.asp

EDIT: Wait..didn't you say yours doesn't have sp1 either? You would have to slipstream both..or bite the bullet and grab vista. It's been great for me lately other than problems I've caused myself. (driver related)

Closed Thread