wow, you still can't install windows
Old 04-23-07, 10:36 AM   #38
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: Evilghost would've been proud. :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
LOL

I knew some of you would get a kick out of that.

Well, I'm thinking it might be this hard drive that I'm using. A buddy of mine went through almost the exact same problems I was having, but after he got a new hard drive he no longer had the problems (he was using my copy of XP as well).

So... I'm gonna' get me a new hard drive and see if that solves the problem. If not, oh well. Having an extra 250GB+ hard drive lying around never hurts.

But currently, yes I'm using Kubuntu and no, I have not tried the newest release though. I'm really liking the version I'm using and I'm sure I'd like it even more if I had the proper video card drivers.
NVIDIA just released some new drivers for Linux that supports the entire 8-series line of cards. I haven't had much time (and luck so far) with manually installing NVIDIA drivers on 7.04. Good luck with your adventures with Kubuntu!
Old 04-23-07, 11:25 AM   #39
grey_1

I'm downloading Kubuntu JUST_FOR_U Redeemed!

I hate kde, but I want to see how it's changed lately. Maybe you'll be able to answer some questions for me then eh?

Old 04-23-07, 04:12 PM   #40
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1
Try mr Thurrotts tut. Worked flawlessly for me.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...slipstream.asp

EDIT: Wait..didn't you say yours doesn't have sp1 either? You would have to slipstream both..or bite the bullet and grab vista. It's been great for me lately other than problems I've caused myself. (driver related)
Yup, my copy doesn't have SP1 either. It is one of the originals from back in 2001 when XP was first released. Its old alright. I'm thinking it might be the hard drive though. A buddy of mine went through exactly what I'm going through right now with his computer. And he was using my copy of XP (I have the Enterprise version, hence how he could borrow it without needing to "activate" it). Well, it would always crash either right after or shortly after he installed SP2. If it didn't crash and all the updates installed "fine"- the computer would just be a lot slower than it should have been- it just wouldn't run "right". So he went out and bought a new hard drive, installed Windows on the new hard drive, and hasn't had any problems since. This happened several times with him. Each time a new hard drive solved the problem.

Sooo... maybe that's the issue with my setup- the hard drive is just "defective". I'm gonna' try buying a new hard drive today. We got some awesome deals going at Staples- I should be able to get me a 300Gig SATA2 hard drive for around $80. I'll just have to pray that solves the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13
wow, you still can't install windows
I haven't tried a second time yet. I'm just gonna' get a new hard drive and see if that works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm
NVIDIA just released some new drivers for Linux that supports the entire 8-series line of cards. I haven't had much time (and luck so far) with manually installing NVIDIA drivers on 7.04. Good luck with your adventures with Kubuntu!
Hmm... I haven't had any luck installing the drivers. As I mentioned earlier, soon as I shut down "X" the computer sort of restarted itself. Haven't messed around with it much sense then.

Quote:
I'm downloading Kubuntu JUST_FOR_U Redeemed!

I hate kde, but I want to see how it's changed lately. Maybe you'll be able to answer some questions for me then eh?
I'm not sure what there is to hate about Kubuntu- other than it doesn't come pre-loaded with 8-series drivers. I'm sure in a future release the drivers will be included.

Well, I still don't know much about it. I found this one place where you could download themes and such (it is part of Kubuntu)- but now I can't find it! Luckily before I closed out I did setup a theme I like quite a bit. But now I can't figure out how to get back there!

Aside from the fact that I can't game- I'm really liking Kubuntu. I do doubt that it will ever completely replace Windows for me (I'm just too much of a gamer)- but I do think it will be an OS I use rather frequently.
Old 04-23-07, 04:40 PM   #41
grey_1

www.kde-look.org

I don't hate kubuntu, I just much prefer gnome over kde.

G'luck with your new hdd, hope its that simple for ya.

Old 04-23-07, 04:50 PM   #42
Redeemed

Quote:
www.kde-look.org

I don't hate kubuntu, I just much prefer gnome over kde.

G'luck with your new hdd, hope its that simple for ya.
Well, that is the site- but there was a place in Kubuntu where you could download apps and updates and such. It was like a "program" that linked to the websites that had all the updates and such. Can't seem to find it now.

Mind if I ask why you prefer Gnome over KDE? Does it have anything to do with the GUI?

And thanks- hope the new HDD does solve the problem. Sure would be a nice and simple fix- and better than buying a new copy of XP. Though I must say- Vista Ultimate is a massive temptation for me right now. I'm in love with Vista (I've tinkered with in on the computers at work), though I've never run it on a high end rig. None of the rigs Staples sells even comes close to mine in overall computing power- so to see how Vista performs on my rig would be awesome. Besides, all the killer things like DreamScene- and even chess! I love that chess game that is included with Windows Vista!

Okay, getting a bit carried away- you get the idea, I like Vista. Maybe while I'm at it, I'll buy a copy with my hard drive.
Old 04-23-07, 05:22 PM   #43
grey_1

Tools>addons>themes

My kde desktop...resized. It's at 1920x1200

Gnome seems to me to be much more intuitive, with all the functionality packed into a more minimalistic form.

I do have to admit I'm liking this newest version of kde. I've had trouble with out of the blue crashes on v. 3.2 and lower. That was the last time I used it.

Mostly a matter of personal preference, I couldn't really say one is "better" then the other, although Gnome never crashed on me.

Old 04-23-07, 07:02 PM   #44
Redeemed

Quote:
Tools>addons>themes

My kde desktop...resized. It's at 1920x1200

Gnome seems to me to be much more intuitive, with all the functionality packed into a more minimalistic form.

I do have to admit I'm liking this newest version of kde. I've had trouble with out of the blue crashes on v. 3.2 and lower. That was the last time I used it.

Mostly a matter of personal preference, I couldn't really say one is "better" then the other, although Gnome never crashed on me.
WOW that looks awesome!

Can't wait till my install of Kubuntu looks all cool and fully tweaked like that.

Anyhow, I did it- I bit the bullet and bought a copy of Vista Ultimate (Upgrade) when I bought the new hard drive. Gonna' install both now.

Old 04-23-07, 07:21 PM   #45
grey_1

I think you'll be very happy with it, whole nother ball game!

Some good tweaks in the drivers form. have fun Redeemed.

Old 04-23-07, 08:35 PM   #46
six_storm

Vista? Eww. LOL. I prefer Gnome over KDE just due to simplicity. Good luck with Vista Redeemed, you'll need it. Let us know how it goes.
Old 04-23-07, 08:52 PM   #47
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm
Vista? Eww. LOL. I prefer Gnome over KDE just due to simplicity. Good luck with Vista Redeemed, you'll need it. Let us know how it goes.
Can always count on a fanboi comment from you eh six?

Old 04-23-07, 09:46 PM   #48
six_storm

Quote:
Can always count on a fanboi comment from you eh six?
Not a fanboy, just have my experience/preferences, that's all. I love getting flamed cuz I "go against the grain" on message boards lol. You should hear the stuff I get from [H] because I recommended holding on to XP for a little while longer and not moving to Vista right now. Yikes!
Closed Thread