Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-10-07, 02:36 PM   #1
rek075

Default Played Everquest 2 for the first time...

...and it was much better than I was expecting. I guess since WoW seems to be dominating the charts and everyone is talking about the newer MMO's coming out (Vanguard, LOTR-O), I thought the EQ2 experience would reflect its popularity. The graphics were great as expected (7800GS & FX-53), but there were a lot of other things about it that surprised me and kept me interested.

I'm guessing that either 1) the gameplay wasn't as polished at release and it turned people away or 2) the system requirements were too high when it was released and not enjoyable given the hardware available at the time. Or maybe its something else? What do people not enjoy about this MMO?
rek075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-07, 03:15 PM   #2
Tr1cK
not coming back

Default Re: Played Everquest 2 for the first time...

Whats wrong with it? You brought up 2 points. Add the fact that Sony likes to sell virtual items for real money, pvp balance is laughable, and the fact that it's Sony and you have summed it up.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-07, 03:39 PM   #3
Xion X2

I don't enjoy it because it runs about 20fps on my system. Runs worse than any other game I have.

It looks like it could be a cool game, but I can't play games at a slideshow framerate like that. Either the game is optimized horribly or Nvidia's drivers just don't like it much. I haven't tried it on the 97.94's, however. Only the 97.92s.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-07, 03:43 PM   #4
rek075

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1cK
Whats wrong with it? You brought up 2 points. Add the fact that Sony likes to sell virtual items for real money, pvp balance is laughable, and the fact that it's Sony and you have summed it up.
I have heard that the PvP balance is poor at the moment. There definately are things about the game that are bad, but the same can be said about all MMO games. Its hard to imagine that WoW has the popularity it has because of PvP balance.

I can't comment on being able to purchase in-game items since I haven't heard about this until now. How is this done?

I liked the original Everquest and so did a lot of people, so the fact that Sony is behind the game doesn't bother me a bit.
Old 04-10-07, 04:05 PM   #5
|MaguS|

I actually enjoyed the game alot when I played it. I quit it because I think its BS that Sony supports ingame item purchase aslong as they get a cut of the profits. If you do a search it might still be on the archive of the forum...
Old 04-10-07, 05:58 PM   #6
rek075

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
I actually enjoyed the game alot when I played it. I quit it because I think its BS that Sony supports ingame item purchase aslong as they get a cut of the profits. If you do a search it might still be on the archive of the forum...
Yes, I was able to find it: Station Exchange. As long as I'm not affected by it then I don't mind. Since only a couple servers support this feature it doesn't bother me, as I would play on a different one. From what I understand, characters on Station Exchange supported servers can't be transferred.

To be honest, I find this as a perk. If I ever wanted to quit playing I would be more inclined to try selling my character through this service than through something like a 3rd party broker, especially if its against game policy.
Old 04-10-07, 06:05 PM   #7
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by rek075
Yes, I was able to find it: Station Exchange. As long as I'm not affected by it then I don't mind. Since only a couple servers support this feature it doesn't bother me, as I would play on a different one. From what I understand, characters on Station Exchange supported servers can't be transferred.
See for me it was the principle of the act. I have been an Everquest player for 5 years and throughout those years they were diehard against any player selling ingame items because they did not own them and it would be wrong to sell a virtual item that you have no real claim of ownership to. Well then they turn around and claim that its ok once they open up an ebay where they get a part of the profit? **** em!

Heres my thread on this subject...
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...ation+Exchange
Old 04-10-07, 07:01 PM   #8
rek075

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
See for me it was the principle of the act. I have been an Everquest player for 5 years and throughout those years they were diehard against any player selling ingame items because they did not own them and it would be wrong to sell a virtual item that you have no real claim of ownership to. Well then they turn around and claim that its ok once they open up an ebay where they get a part of the profit? **** em!

Heres my thread on this subject...
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...ation+Exchange
I can understand. I played EQ starting on release day for a few years and I remember all the controversy with EBAY and the constant struggle against bringing EQs economy outside the game. However, I don't see it as much as Sony going 180 degrees on their stance as much as them realizing "We can't stop it, so why not try to control it". I think the fact that its limited to only 2, out of 30, servers (with different rulesets) shows that its there primarily for protecting dubious trading.

Regardless of principle, as a player I think it benefits me. Besides the point I brought up above, I think this also reduces the amount of account/item/gold purchases that occur on servers not supporting the Exchange service.

Old 04-11-07, 01:08 AM   #9
DJB
Geezer Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
I don't enjoy it because it runs about 20fps on my system. Runs worse than any other game I have.

It looks like it could be a cool game, but I can't play games at a slideshow framerate like that. Either the game is optimized horribly or Nvidia's drivers just don't like it much. I haven't tried it on the 97.94's, however. Only the 97.92s.
Dude, If it runs like that on your system then something isnt right. I have played EQ2 on an A643800 with a 6800GT just fine with the proper tweaking of the game.

I run it on my current system A64X2 4800 and 8800GTX with all the visuals maxed out (all sliders to the far right) with 16XAF at 1680x1050 with no problems. I don't get slideshows. Now, I am not getting 100FPS, but in this type of game who needs it? 30FPS is just fine for this style of game.

DJB
Mobo ASUS Rampage III Extreme | CPU Intel i7980X @ 4Ghz | Mem 6GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 | Vid EVGA GTX570SC 875/1750/4300 | WD VelociRaptor 300GB,WD Raptor 150GB, WD Caviar Black 640GB SATAII HD, Seagate 160GB 7200RPM SATA HD |Liteon SATA DVDRW | Logitech Z-680 speakers|Dell 20" 2005FPW LCD | O/S Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit :: Dell XPS Gen2, 2Ghz PentiumM, 2GB Ram, go7800GTX at 430/1200, 100GB HD, WinXP Pro SP3
DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 01:25 AM   #10
Xion X2

I've tried tweaking all sorts of options, and in Faydwer(?) around the mushroom guys it'll slow down to 20fps or under. I think I actually saw it hit around 10-12 once. Whenever lots of enemies are on the screen, it slows to a crawl. It does this on both a single GTX and SLI.

What drivers are you using? I'll try it out tomorrow w/ the 97.94s and see if it's improved any, but the 97.92s made it run horrible. It's the only game I have out of about 20 that runs like this.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 03:20 AM   #11
Sgt_Pitt

7800gs 2 gig amd 4200 - old agp system runs 30+ frames in 1600x1200

i toggle shaders off for raids though
Old 04-11-07, 12:34 PM   #12
DJB
Geezer Gamer

Xion,

I don't know what game settings you use so it is hard to know what to tell you to tweak. There are a couple of things though like eviromental relections update, which you should set to once as opposed to continual, and number of spells per person should probably be no more than 2. I would also limit player torches to either 1 or 2. It doesn't add anything to have every player torch around you lighting things up, it just gets overly bright, but it does slow things down. I use max light and max specular lights but you could limit those to 4 each for some help.
Also, there is no real visibile difference between the highest quality shadows, and the setting just below it, so use the setting just below the highest.

I am currently running 101.02 XP drivers.

Part of this may just be perception of what is adequate for this game. I have played alot of role playing and MMUDs over the years and I am willing to put up with slower framerates for this type of game. I am not trying to snipe some guy running flat out accross an arena from me so I don't need all those frames per second.

One other thing to play with is how many high quality characters you have drawn at one time, and how many lower quality. I used to run at 4 and 30 with my 6800GT, now I run with 8 and 40.

Also, I don't think you are going to have much of an increase going from an 8800GTX to 8800GTXSLI. I still think that you end up somewhat CPU limited. The game is just not coded all that well when it comes to offloading work from the CPU. I have always found that their occlusion calculations are practically non-existant and much is being drawn that you can't see. The game doesn't take advantage of dual cores so that is not helping you much.

Good luck!

DJB
Mobo ASUS Rampage III Extreme | CPU Intel i7980X @ 4Ghz | Mem 6GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 | Vid EVGA GTX570SC 875/1750/4300 | WD VelociRaptor 300GB,WD Raptor 150GB, WD Caviar Black 640GB SATAII HD, Seagate 160GB 7200RPM SATA HD |Liteon SATA DVDRW | Logitech Z-680 speakers|Dell 20" 2005FPW LCD | O/S Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit :: Dell XPS Gen2, 2Ghz PentiumM, 2GB Ram, go7800GTX at 430/1200, 100GB HD, WinXP Pro SP3
DJB is offline   Reply With Quote