Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-11-07, 11:48 AM   #13
Xion X2

Default Re: Played Everquest 2 for the first time...

Thanks for the tips. I've heard the 101.02 drivers are better optimized, but I can't use them since there's no support for SLI.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 05:54 PM   #14
Hambone

STATION EXCHANGE:
There's a lot of negative Station Exchange comments in this thread. What everyone needs to understand if they don't know is that only a small selection of the EQ2 servers are Station Exchange enabled. It's like the choice between a PVP and NON-PVP server. If you don't like it, don't start on one of the exchange enabled servers - problem sovled. Why do people insist on applying things like this to the entire game when it's simply a choice?

PVP:
EQ2 was never made for PVP. It was never suppose to be added to the game. It seems to have been a reaction to the player base and has been supported poorly since being released. PVP in EQ2 is pretty horribe - oh yeah.

The demand for PVP took SOE off guard I think. It's very hard to balance for PVP and probably a nightmare if a game was built only for PVE play. It's a miracle it exists in EQ2 at all.

EQ2 Now VS. Launch
It's pretty much a totally different game. Everything really lacking in EQ2 has been corrected. I've never before seen a game improved so much. It's just down right incredible how often EQ2 is improved. If only Blizzard would put 1/10th of the effort into improving WoW (seriously).

Most negative comments about EQ2 are based on things that were changed or corrected over a year ago. Sometimes it's funny to read things said about EQ2 and know that the people saying those things are repeating things they've heard or using experiences from a year or two ago.
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 09:00 PM   #15
Tr1cK
not coming back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone
EQ2 was never made for PVP. It was never suppose to be added to the game. It seems to have been a reaction to the player base and has been supported poorly since being released. PVP in EQ2 is pretty horribe - oh yeah.
Which means that there is no class balance. You will still suck at solo if you pick the wrong class compared to a more powerful one that would just so happen to be better in pvp. Who would want to play a game where their class is clearly on the bottom of food chain? Getting owned by a mob is 10 times more embarassing than a player beating me.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 11:06 PM   #16
Xion X2

Well, it still runs like crap on the 97.94 drivers. No change. I have shadows on minimal, detailed enemies 6/28, rendered distance medium, spells on 2, and several other settings on medium.. plenty enough for this game to run decent, and it still runs like crap.

So, goodbye Everquest. I hardly knew ye.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 04-12-07, 09:32 AM   #17
Sgt_Pitt

lol i just cannot believe your rig is running this game so poorly

something definatley isnt right, pfft and you call yourself a tweaker :P

Seriously man there is something wrong and it aint the game. I know this because i raid every night in 1600x1200 in customised settings and get 40-50 fps

edit: actually i think i read on the eq2 tech forums about the 8800gtx having some probs, i thought it got fixed long ago though. Go check out the eq2 tech forums
Old 04-12-07, 10:13 AM   #18
Xion X2

I've heard of some serious problems w/ the 8800s running this game right, but decided to take the advice of an 8800 user above and try to tweak it even more.

It doesn't run terrible all the time. If there's nothing on the screen it'll fly along at 45fps. But as soon as you get anything detailed on the screen: lighting, enemies, or flora.. the game will crawl along at 20fps.

And that's with many settings turned way down. With them turned up, it putts along at about 15fps in busy areas.

That's just unacceptable when I can run a game like Oblivion, which looks twice as good, on maximum settings with 16xAA at 90+fps most of the time.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 04-12-07, 05:29 PM   #19
Hambone

Come on man... Oblivion does not look "twice as good" as EQ2. Don't turn into one of those annoying exaggerating people.

Hand up for another 8800 user that gets good frame rates.

One thing though - they new Fay areas of the game, especially the city area and around it are very poly heavy and there are lots of "living environment" elements like butterflies and such. It's a nasty area for anyone.

And remember, Oblivion was released a year after EQ2 was released and they didn't have to worry about online multip-play. The EQ2 engine is pretty dang good. It's not highly optimized - or looks that way, but graphically it's still one of the best games out there.

P.S. MMORPG's are the devil. Stay away if at all possible.
Old 04-12-07, 06:41 PM   #20
Epyx

Fully modded I would have to agree with the previous poster that Oblivion looks twice as good as EQ2 and still performs better.

Even unmodded its much better looking. But thats a subjective opinion.
8800GTX
Enermax 565P
20" 1680x1050 LG
42" 1920x1080 Westy
50" 1280x768 Sony
Epyx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-07, 11:35 PM   #21
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone
Come on man... Oblivion does not look "twice as good" as EQ2. Don't turn into one of those annoying exaggerating people.

Hand up for another 8800 user that gets good frame rates.
Uh oh! Looks like I hit a nerve of another MMO lifer!

Do you call 17-20fps w/ medium settings on a 3 year old game on a brand new 600$ videocard "good framerates?"

Meanwhile, in the realm of Oblivion...

"Move along, folks.. nothing to see here... Everquest does not look or run much worse than Oblivion.... "

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 04-13-07, 04:37 AM   #22
Badboy_12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by rek075
...and it was much better than I was expecting. I guess since WoW seems to be dominating the charts and everyone is talking about the newer MMO's coming out (Vanguard, LOTR-O), I thought the EQ2 experience would reflect its popularity. The graphics were great as expected (7800GS & FX-53), but there were a lot of other things about it that surprised me and kept me interested.

I'm guessing that either 1) the gameplay wasn't as polished at release and it turned people away or 2) the system requirements were too high when it was released and not enjoyable given the hardware available at the time. Or maybe its something else? What do people not enjoy about this MMO?
the world is dead and stale no life in it.. the are just 2 big cities that are too big and the loading times sucks between the zones

There is no clear path where is what its just scattered all over the place with crappy quests that you need to visit every zone to see

In wow you can just play normally and youll always have good quests to do with nice rewards. In EQ2 you must search for them or go through internet sites and forums to know where they are...

Its booooooooooooooring

its actually one of the worst and most boring mmorpgs that I have played.. even korean mmorpg where there is almost just grinding are more fun and exciting than eq2
Badboy_12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-07, 05:49 AM   #23
Hambone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badboy_12345
the world is dead and stale no life in it.. the are just 2 big cities that are too big and the loading times sucks between the zones

There is no clear path where is what its just scattered all over the place with crappy quests that you need to visit every zone to see

In wow you can just play normally and youll always have good quests to do with nice rewards. In EQ2 you must search for them or go through internet sites and forums to know where they are...

Its booooooooooooooring

its actually one of the worst and most boring mmorpgs that I have played.. even korean mmorpg where there is almost just grinding are more fun and exciting than eq2
LOL

1) Floating leafs, lighting, butterflys, etc etc. In the new zones... I've never seen a MMORPG with more life. You're one of those idiots that talk about 2004 EQ2 (not 2007 EQ2) like they have a clue what's going one - either using memories from two years ago or quoting other people.
2) "clear path" - that sentence doesn't even make sense.
3) There are 3 major cities, not two and a 4th is on the way.
4) There are more quests in EQ2 than WoW
5) So the quests that result in the best items and such - you're saying they have flashing neon signs in WoW but in EQ2 you just wrongly have to figure it out for yourself (LOL - even that doesn't make sense).
Old 04-13-07, 07:01 PM   #24
rek075

EQ2 definately does not run as well as a lot of other games out there, but I've sure enjoyed it so far. I haven't had a problem with lack of quests at all. All my game time so far as been performing quests and I'm leveling faster than I can complete them all.
rek075 is offline   Reply With Quote