Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-10-07, 02:16 PM   #1
superklye

Default Best STAND-ALONE Blu-ray player on the market

Just out of curiosity...I'm leaning more and more toward being format neutral since there are just too many BD-exclusive titles out/coming out that I want and I'm getting fed up waiting for Universal to start releasing what I consider good titles.

I know absolutely nothing about the current BD players except that there are no enforced standards for audio codecs they have to be able to decode and output. So...based on a performance/features standpoint, which BD player is the best?
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-07, 04:04 PM   #2
Ruined

Default Re: Best STAND-ALONE Blu-ray player on the market

Buying a standalone BD player now is bad idea because:

A) They are very expensive
B) Even though they are expensive, they usually don't include decoders for lossless TrueHD & lossless DTS-HDMA which are on numerous Blu-Ray releases
C) None of them support the full BD-J & BD-Live interactivity spec yet, meaning you will be shut out from many of the features of future BD discs.

Wait about 6-8 months and you should start to see some more attractive BD standalones. Or, wait a few months and you will be able to pick up the Samsung BD-UP5000 dual format HD DVD/Blu-Ray player.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz CPU | Intel G965WH mobo | 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2-667mhz CAS5 RAM (1066MHz FSB) | BFG GeForce 285 GTX OC 1GB | Dell E228WFP 22" DVI-HDCP LCD Monitor | 1TB Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Main Drive | 500GBx2 Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Scratch Drives in RAID0 | Western Digital RE3 1TB SATA2 Media Drive | External 2TB Western Digital MyBook Backup Drive | Adaptec eSATA 3.0gbps PCI-E interface | Sandisk External 12-in-1 Flash Card Reader | LG GGC-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD writer | LG GGW-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD/BD writer | Microsoft E4000 Ergonomic Keyboard | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Antec P182 ATX Case | Thermaltake ToughPower XT 850w modular PSU | KRK RP-8 Rokit Studio Monitors | Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Ruined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-07, 04:14 PM   #3
|MaguS|

Get a PS3, Its as good as most stand alone aswell as it can be updated to support BD-J once it becomes a standard. Unlike many current models that lack an ethernet port. The PS3 will be updated to meet all recommended standards that are not hardware limited.
Old 04-10-07, 04:17 PM   #4
superklye

I'm not buying a PS3.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-07, 08:18 PM   #5
OWA

Unless things have changed since the reviews I've read. I'd probably wait before buying one. Most seem to load slower (taking almost 20-30 seconds to load a disc) and don't skip around as smoothly/quickly as the PS3. You'd think if the PS3 has fast load times and quick/smooth skipping, etc. that a standalone player should be able to accomplish the same thing (especially since it cost more). Hopefully the next round will improve or maybe it's something they can improve in firmware?
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-07, 08:21 PM   #6
evilchris

The Sony BDP-S1 will provide the best playback at this time. Nearly all are better than the PS3.
Old 04-10-07, 09:17 PM   #7
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchris
The Sony BDP-S1 will provide the best playback at this time. Nearly all are better than the PS3.
I love how you say that yet most actual reviews state otherwise... I mean most people on the AVS Forum who have one are very pleased with its playback. Only real issue right now is no 720p support for Blu-Ray but a fix is in the pipe someday...
Old 04-10-07, 09:19 PM   #8
OWA

Quote:
Wow, yeah, I see your point...

Quote:
The test card allowed us to confirm that the PS3 was not adding any additional edge enhancement, or other intrusive video processing, during playback. The fact that it doesn't, and that we could detect no other problems with the playback, means that we are confident that the PS3 is the best Blu-ray Disc player available today.

The PS3 responds to remote control commands literally instantaneously, and Rewinding and Fast Forwarding are by far quicker than on any other disc player we've recently used.

After using several High-def video disc players that were slower to boot and took their time responding to user commands, the Playstation 3 is just a joy to use.

Sony seem committed to delivering firmware updates for the unit to improve its functionality, and we may even see 1080p/24 output added in the future. As a result of this and its already high quality and ease of use, anybody looking for a Blu-ray player should look no further than this unit.

http://hdtvorg.co.uk/news/articles/2007040803.htm
Quote:
The PS3 represents one of the best BD players I’ve used to date. It is fast, the image quality is excellent, and it supports more of the BD functions and features than just about any other player. The fact that it does this for nearly half the price of the other BD players out there is almost embarrassing, and rather disappointing when you think about it. As a standard DVD player, however, the PS3 may represent one of the worst progressive scan players I have ever tested. Surprising, considering its BD performance.

From a usability standpoint, the PS3 does quite well. The transport is fast, and I really love all of the information available when you press display (bitrates, video codec, etc.) I highly recommend picking up the PS3 remote if you plan on using the console for movie viewing, because it alleviates a lot of the frustration that can come with using the controller as a remote. The only drawback is that the remote is Bluetooth-based, so you cannot program your HT remote to mimic it. My only other gripe is that the player does not start-up a disc when it is inserted. You have to navigate to the video selection in the main PS3 menu screen and select it.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...n%203%20(HDMI)
Quote:
Starting with starting the player, with a direct connection to the Pearl it consistently takes the BDP-S1 between 35 and 40 seconds to boot up to the player's on-screen menu. This is far better than the Toshiba HD DVD players' near minute, but way longer than PS3's ten seconds. Yes- not only can PS3 power up that fast, if it's powered down you can insert a BD or DVD into the drive and it will have the disc's menu loaded in under ten seconds.
Getting to disc loading times, the BDP-S1 again beats the awful lag times of the Toshiba players, but falls far short of the PS3 or even Samsung's BD-P1000. PS3 as I've said can boot to a 50GB BD's menu in under ten seconds. The Samsung can now load discs as fast as 20 seconds, but no more than 30. The BDP-S1 never loaded a BD faster than 35 seconds and change, and sometimes took just over 40 seconds. Lightning McQueen it ain't.
Before getting off of disc access and usability, the BDP-1 is good, but again slower than the PS3 with chapter skips and moving through the pop-up disc menus that come up with the movie running full motion. There's a moment's hesitation with the standalone player, while the PS3 just flies. Also, scanning back and forth is choppy, and the BDP-S1 pauses the image for a second or two at first, and sometimes pauses to a still during a scan forward or backward.
But what about the BDP-S1's image quality compared with the outstanding PS3, which is also a cut above the Samsung? I tried the BDP-S1 at both 1080p/60 and 1080p/24, and subtly prefer the latter for being a touch sharper and very subtly smoother in motion (and I'll have more on that in a bit). The PS3 held up to the BDP-S1's challenge very, very well. I do believe that the BDP-S1 might be very subtly more detailed and might offer a bit more depth, but after going back and forth umpteen times, these differences remain elusive and perhaps the kind of thing that only a real A/B with two identical 1080p displays could resolve. In many case, differences this subtle are difficult to ferret out, and probably fade to irrelevance on smaller screens. Hell, so far they border on irrelevance on my 80" screen!

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/hddiscp...1206sonybdps1/
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-07, 10:12 PM   #9
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
I love how you say that yet most actual reviews state otherwise... I mean most people on the AVS Forum who have one are very pleased with its playback. Only real issue right now is no 720p support for Blu-Ray but a fix is in the pipe someday...
Talk to Jeff Meier ( UMR ) on AVSforum. Nationally renowned ISF calibrator. Doesn't like his PS3. Much more credible than "internet review sites"
Old 04-10-07, 10:28 PM   #10
|MaguS|

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=650544

Quote:
Does the PS3 have the best video quality of Blu-Ray players?
Nothing is definitive, but most agree that it does.
People seem pretty dam happy in that thread.

Oh and I can't find a single post by UMR which covers the PS3 on the Forum so please point me to where he states such information.
Old 04-10-07, 10:28 PM   #11
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=650544

People seem pretty dam happy in that thread.

Oh and I can't find a single post by UMR which covers the PS3 on the Forum so please point me to where he states such information.
He stated it to me in person when he calibrated my system a couple weeks ago.

I'm actually selling my Panasonic and will be buying the Sony player. If the PS3 had the best BD playback, I'd use it for such. It doesn't.
Old 04-10-07, 10:32 PM   #12
|MaguS|

I love how you can't give the PS3 any positive feedback even when the majority of people who have actually used one say the opposite of what you and Jeff have talked about (which he has not shared with anyone else on a forum dedicated to AV Equipment).

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,12...1/article.html

http://www.avrev.com/equip/playstation_3/

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9667998-1.html

Honestly, the biggest negative thing going for the PS3 when its compared to standalone players is that it cant upconvert DVDs but that can be fixed in a patch...