Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-11-07, 10:39 PM   #1
Gary Jefferson

Unhappy AIGLX, GeForce3, and arbitrary breakage

I've been running AIGLX for several months now on my GeForce3 Ti 200, using the old unified driver. It worked *ROCK SOLID* and the 3D effects were always very smooth and very snappy. Compiz and Beryl worked wonderfully, without resorting to XGL.

However, now that I am forced to 'upgrade' to the legacy driver, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap no longer works, and of course I can no longer do any AIGLX, no compiz, no beryl.

It appears that nvidia has no intention of adding support for legacy cards back in. Is that correct? Has nvidia really broken this feature for me, never to repair it?

For now, I can still get the old unified driver to install and work and can still get aiglx, but this will obviously change very soon, as it fails to compile on newer kernels...

Will nvidia add support back in for "legacy" cards, or is there some trick to make the non-legacy driver work with GeForce3?
Gary Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 11:12 PM   #2
xbobmx

Default Re: AIGLX, GeForce3, and arbitrary breakage

There are now _two_ legacy drivers: the 1.0-71xx series and the 1.0-96xx series. It sounds like you got the latest driver from the former, but really want to use the latter. See http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...ppendix-a.html for the full list of which cards a given driver supports.
xbobmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-07, 12:41 AM   #3
Gary Jefferson

Smile Re: AIGLX, GeForce3, and arbitrary breakage

Yay! That's all it was, in the end. I had the wrong 'legacy' drivers. Things are back to working now, and I take back all the mean things I said about nvidia slighting me! Nvidia is rock solid and the aiglx stuff works fantastically.

Thank you very much for the hint!
Gary Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote