Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-11-07, 06:31 PM   #25
Xion X2

Default Re: Asus Crosshair

The 6000 may get to 3.4gHz, but then again it may not. Those chips are still on 90nm and are overclocked from the factory already. I doubt they have much more headroom.

And I never take onboard sound into consideration, because 99% of the time it doesn't compare to the quality you can get out of a decent sound card. Why would I start a debate over EAX HD or X-Fi sound? I have an Auzentech w/ DTS. You can pick an Xplosion up now for ~50$. To me that's a much simpler solution than swapping a motherboard out, and you get better sound quality on top of it.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 07:14 PM   #26
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
The 6000 may get to 3.4gHz, but then again it may not. Those chips are still on 90nm and are overclocked from the factory already. I doubt they have much more headroom.

And I never take onboard sound into consideration, because 99% of the time it doesn't compare to the quality you can get out of a decent sound card. Why would I start a debate over EAX HD or X-Fi sound? I have an Auzentech w/ DTS. You can pick an Xplosion up now for ~50$. To me that's a much simpler solution than swapping a motherboard out, and you get better sound quality on top of it.
But you can't over clock a CPU with your sound card.

Nah, the DTS Connect support is merely a plus in my book. But it alone is far from the main reason why I'm interested in the CrossHair so much. From every review I've read, it is well worth the price they are asking (unlike the CrossFire which is double the price and double the trouble as well- damn 680i ).

And Xion, I would normally take your word for it- but could you provide some link to prove your claim that the 6000 is oc'd from the factory? That just seems a pretty sad thing to do. I remember when the old Celeries used to be oc'd from the factory, and they always had problems (that was waaaay back in the day).

Thanks.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 10:41 PM   #27
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
But you can't over clock a CPU with your sound card.
Uhhhh, yeah. That's why I originally said that one of the factors you should look at is how well the board overclocks.

As for how well the board Doc has overclocks in comparison to the Crosshair--I have no idea. Haven't been keeping up with AM2 lately. I was merely stating my opinion that onboard sound shouldn't be a determining factor since you can pick up a really good sound card so cheap these days.

Quote:
And Xion, I would normally take your word for it- but could you provide some link to prove your claim that the 6000 is oc'd from the factory?
No link; it's just deductive reasoning. These chips are running on the same 90nm process, and it's the exact same architecture that's been out since the AM2 platform was released. They're simply higher binned chips that they're clocking higher from the factory.

Intel is doing the same thing with the QX6800 that comes stock at 2.93gHz instead of 2.66gHz like the Kentsfield does. Chips that come clocked higher from the factory often do not overclock the same as a chip of a lower frequency. You can pick up an X2 3600+ Brisbane right now that will go from 1.9gHz-->3.1gHz. Does that mean you can do the same with another AMD chip that comes clocked at 3.0gHz from the factory? Obviously not. Eventually there's a wall that you'll hit. The same goes for the X6800 and E6600 Conroes. I can't tell you how many X6800s I've seen that wouldn't clock any faster than what I've got. No offense to Jakup, because he's a fellow watercooler and has a kickass rig, but he knows from experience with this. Our CPUs run at the same speed w/ an overclock. He's hit a wall on his X6800 in the same place I'm at.

Each chip scales differently, and the fact that the X2 6000+ is on the same 90nm process and architecture says that it probably won't overclock all that well--the same as all the rest of the X2 chips. If it was an Opteron or on a 65nm process like the Brisbane, then I'd be inclined to think differently. There just aren't many AMD chips over 3.2gHz in existence. I have only seen one person during my time on this forum with one, and this person just joined up here recently and has an FX-74.

That's not to say that the 6000 X2 couldn't overclock to 3.4gHz or past it. I just have my doubts that it will and be stable. But I guess we'll be finding out very soon since a few of you are going with them. Good luck to you both.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-07, 06:13 AM   #28
Redeemed

Quote:
Uhhhh, yeah. That's why I originally said that one of the factors you should look at is how well the board overclocks.
I was merely being sarcastic. Look into the CrossHair mobo, read some reviews, you'll see why anybody interested in a high-end AM2 setup would want this board.

Quote:
No link; it's just deductive reasoning. These chips are running on the same 90nm process, and it's the exact same architecture that's been out since the AM2 platform was released. They're simply higher binned chips that they're clocking higher from the factory.

Intel is doing the same thing with the QX6800 that comes stock at 2.93gHz instead of 2.66gHz like the Kentsfield does. Chips that come clocked higher from the factory often do not overclock the same as a chip of a lower frequency. You can pick up an X2 3600+ Brisbane right now that will go from 1.9gHz-->3.1gHz. Does that mean you can do the same with another AMD chip that comes clocked at 3.0gHz from the factory? Obviously not. Eventually there's a wall that you'll hit. The same goes for the X6800 and E6600 Conroes. I can't tell you how many X6800s I've seen that wouldn't clock any faster than what I've got. No offense to Jakup, because he's a fellow watercooler and has a kickass rig, but he knows from experience with this. Our CPUs run at the same speed w/ an overclock. He's hit a wall on his X6800 in the same place I'm at.

Each chip scales differently, and the fact that the X2 6000+ is on the same 90nm process and architecture says that it probably won't overclock all that well--the same as all the rest of the X2 chips. If it was an Opteron or on a 65nm process like the Brisbane, then I'd be inclined to think differently. There just aren't many AMD chips over 3.2gHz in existence. I have only seen one person during my time on this forum with one, and this person just joined up here recently and has an FX-74.

That's not to say that the 6000 X2 couldn't overclock to 3.4gHz or past it. I just have my doubts that it will and be stable. But I guess we'll be finding out very soon since a few of you are going with them. Good luck to you both.
Okay, I agree 100% with you on this. I just don't consider that "over-clocking". That would imply that any speed bump on a chip would be an overclock so long as the architecture and manufacturing process was the same between the two chips.

Poe-tay-toe, poe-ta-toe. You say overclock, I say it's a GHz berrier. But regardless I now understand and agree with what you said.

I'm not expecting some earth shattering OC with this chip. Who knows, I might be the first ever to hit 3.6Ghz on an AMD chip with just water cooling (and have the rig perfectly stable). I bet it'd sell for a pretty penny then.

Anyhow, we'll find out soon enough how well these OC- as you've said. I mostly doing this in anticipation of AM2+ chips. Barcelona, on paper, will clobber Core2. But again, that is pure theoretical as there are absolutely no tests to prove this. I'm taking a gamble that AMD will take the lead (or atleast tie) with Intel once they release chips for AM2+. And since AM2+ chips are completely compatible with current AM2 mobos I would not need a complete upgrade to my rig- just by the new AM2+ chip and install it (and probably flash the BIOS). So its a gamble, one I'm hoping will pay off in the end.
Old 04-18-07, 09:28 AM   #29
DiscipleDOC

My motherboard is here. And I'm going out today to pick up a Gateway 24" monitor (for now).
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-07, 10:07 AM   #30
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter
Pics?
I'll do pics when I get home.

Some folks have to work in order to support their expensive habits...go figure!
Old 04-18-07, 04:48 PM   #31
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC
I'll do pics when I get home.

Some folks have to work in order to support their expensive habits...go figure!
LOL

Sucks don't it?
Old 04-18-07, 05:03 PM   #32
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
LOL

Sucks don't it?
Sucks? It blows chunks!

I'll be heading home here in a few, and I can't WAIT to get this puppy up and running!

Old 04-19-07, 12:31 AM   #33
DiscipleDOC

I got a bad board. I'm going to RMA tomorrow, and hope to get one by Monday!
Old 04-19-07, 01:07 AM   #34
Bearclaw

Quote:
Comes down to personal preference, but I agree with Steve. Most of that is marketing. The main things to look for in a mobo are PCI-E speed while in SLI mode and how well it overclocks, as well as overall stability.
It also has to look awesome!
Old 04-19-07, 10:47 AM   #35
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter
I'm sorry to hear that man. You still have your old board right?
Nope. Sold it. It's cool. I can wait....I hate it...but I can wait.
Old 04-19-07, 10:55 AM   #36
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw
It also has to look awesome!
Heh, yeah, forgot that.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz