Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-11-07, 03:35 PM   #1
Ruined

Default DVDTown: Say NO to Blu-Ray

http://www.dvdtown.com/news/dontgett...toblu-ray/4407

snippet:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDTown
Toshiba has been good in issuing firmware updates for their players to make sure they are compatible with future HD-DVD releases. You might believe this is the case with Blu-ray as well, but no. Recent comments from the Blu-ray camp indicate that they have yet to complete final specifications for the interactive component called Blu-ray Disc JAVA (BD JAVA). What this means is that when the specifications are finally decided upon in late October, 2007, one's Blu-ray player bought before that date may not play parts of future Blu-ray releases. Imagine the confusion in a store trying to figure out if one's machine will play a specific extra.

HD-DVD knew the importance of a strong set of features from the get-go, and they had their mandatory features ready from the start. They made sure that every HD-DVD player had an Internet connection (which is not required by Blu-ray), allowing easy updates of the player and opening up exciting on-line features that we will see on HD-DVD releases this fall. Their interactive layer, called HDi, has also been in place from day one, and we have already seen it in various releases. "Batman Begins" and "Miami Vice," for example, showcase picture-in-picture and the possibility to make one's own scene-selection menus. Warner Bros. recognized the current limitation in Blu-ray technology and decided not to release titles with interactive features on Blu-ray before they knew what to develop for. These titles include things like "Batman Begins," "Poseidon," "Troy," and the upcoming "Matrix" box sets, which are HD-DVD exclusive for now.

I must draw a conclusion from all this: Don't buy Blu-ray. Not before the Blu-ray camp have finalized the format's specifications. Not before the manufacturer will GUARANTEE 100% compatibility with future Blu-ray releases. If you don't want to buy HD-DVD, either, that's fine. Wait. Enjoy regular, standard-definition DVDs. For now, however, the only safe and sensible HD choice is HD-DVD.
A nice writeup on the lack of standards on Blu-Ray, which I agree with. Perhaps DVDTOWN will emerge as an editorial counterpart to the Blu-Ray centric DigitalBits?

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz CPU | Intel G965WH mobo | 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2-667mhz CAS5 RAM (1066MHz FSB) | BFG GeForce 285 GTX OC 1GB | Dell E228WFP 22" DVI-HDCP LCD Monitor | 1TB Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Main Drive | 500GBx2 Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Scratch Drives in RAID0 | Western Digital RE3 1TB SATA2 Media Drive | External 2TB Western Digital MyBook Backup Drive | Adaptec eSATA 3.0gbps PCI-E interface | Sandisk External 12-in-1 Flash Card Reader | LG GGC-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD writer | LG GGW-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD/BD writer | Microsoft E4000 Ergonomic Keyboard | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Antec P182 ATX Case | Thermaltake ToughPower XT 850w modular PSU | KRK RP-8 Rokit Studio Monitors | Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Ruined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 04:11 PM   #2
evilchris

Default Re: DVDTown: Say NO to Blu-Ray

October, 2007? LOL! WTF is so hard about finalizing BD-J?

The sad thing is the sheep don't care that it's a half baked, feature lacking format. pEE eSS thREE!!!
Old 04-11-07, 04:52 PM   #3
AthlonXP1800

Dont worry about BD-J, it just a software that will update with firmwares for all Blu-ray players, software players and Playstation 3.

Before Digital Leisure developed Dragon's Lair for Blu-ray, they did not have experience how to programming Java code for BD-J a year ago. They had first Panasonic Blu-ray player, Cyberlink PowerDVD BD player and Blu-ray BD-RE burner for testing running Java code that both did not have fully BD-J compliant but it did worked perfect but also Playstation 3 wasnt available last summer, they were worried it may not worked with it. Then when they bought one last November and tested Dragon's Lair with Playstation 3 and they were relieved it ran and worked perfect.

Digital Leisure found Java very easy to programming than C and C++.
Intel Core i7 3770K, Corsair H80 liquid cooler with Noctua S12-1200 fan, ASUS P8Z77V with UEFI 2104, 16GB Samsung Green 30nm DDR3-RAM, Pioneer BDR-S09XLT 16x Blu-ray writer, Corsair AX850 PSU, Western Digital 2TB SATA3 hard drive, CanonScan LiDE 210 scanner, Microsoft Internet Keyboard, Microsoft Touch Explorer mouse, 32inch Sharp LC32LE600 LED TV, EVGA Geforce GTX 670 SC 4GB with Geforce 370.50 driver, 50Mb broadband Virgin Media VMDG480 Super Hub, Aspire Xplorer Midi Tower, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.
AthlonXP1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 05:22 PM   #4
OWA

Baaa, Baaa, Baaa
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 05:30 PM   #5
Ruined

Quote:
Originally Posted by AthlonXP1800
Dont worry about BD-J, it just a software that will update with firmwares for all Blu-ray players, software players and Playstation 3.
Firmware updates can't magically add secondary video decoder hardware for true PIP to standalone Blu-Ray players. The fact is, many will be shut out of the features of future BD discs. All those IME discs that Warner puts out on HD DVD make use of secondard video decoder hardware, and when they are made available on Blu-Ray you simply will be shut out of the feature entirely if you have a BD player without the proper hardware & software.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz CPU | Intel G965WH mobo | 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2-667mhz CAS5 RAM (1066MHz FSB) | BFG GeForce 285 GTX OC 1GB | Dell E228WFP 22" DVI-HDCP LCD Monitor | 1TB Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Main Drive | 500GBx2 Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Scratch Drives in RAID0 | Western Digital RE3 1TB SATA2 Media Drive | External 2TB Western Digital MyBook Backup Drive | Adaptec eSATA 3.0gbps PCI-E interface | Sandisk External 12-in-1 Flash Card Reader | LG GGC-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD writer | LG GGW-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD/BD writer | Microsoft E4000 Ergonomic Keyboard | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Antec P182 ATX Case | Thermaltake ToughPower XT 850w modular PSU | KRK RP-8 Rokit Studio Monitors | Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Ruined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 06:21 PM   #6
evilchris

50 jiggabytes!
Old 04-12-07, 08:44 AM   #7
superklye

Hmm...I think I'll wait until the end of the year before buying a format that can't get its **** together.

I can't believe it...they're doing it AGAIN. Players that are way too expensive, inital titles with terrible PQ and now the possibility of rendering movies unplayable on older hardware after the spec is "finalized" a year after it's been out, when it should've been done a year BEFORE it came out.

What a complete joke. HD DVD ftw.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-07, 09:54 AM   #8
OWA

I guess I don't understand why people are so willing to put up with issues on HD DVD as it goes through it's growing pains but have a cow over every little thing on the blu-ray side. For example, see the below quote that came from a review on the newer HD DVD players. It's from a review on the new one but it addressed the first one that so many here *rave* about. Similiar reviews on the new unit revealed the same sort of info (glad they're finally getting it right). But, you'd never know any of that reading anything here. With Children of Men and The Good Shepard having playback problems on HD DVD hardware, it's obvious that things aren't perfect on the HD DVD side either. Note, I'm not trying to say that blu-ray doesn't have issues. I can't even play the Chronos blu-ray disc that I recently purchased. It's just that people seem to gloss over any HD DVD issues and pretend they're not there while blu-ray gets criticized for every little thing.

You'd think that the goal of both is to provide a good experience for the user so I don't it's any stretch to think the blu-ray side will eventually get things sorted out as well.

Quote:
Toshiba seemed to invest significant time and resources into delivering top-notch picture and sound from HD DVD, but the first generation players were awkward and user-unfriendly even at their best, and absolute glitchy nightmares at their worst. More computer-in-a-box than traditional DVD player, the HD-A1 and HD-XA1 were clunky and slow, taking anywhere from 1 to 3 minutes to load certain discs, and frequently suffering frustrating freeze-ups, skipping, and audio sync problems. Some of these issues were reduced after firmware updates, but none ever completely went away. Just about every HD DVD owner has experienced that worst of all possible scenarios -- sitting down with friends or family, getting invested in watching some beautiful HD imagery, only to have the player crap out mid-movie and require a lengthy shutdown and reboot session. That's no way to sell people on the product.
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/hreview_hdxa2030207.html

Old 04-12-07, 10:11 AM   #9
superklye

The A2 and XA2 fixed nearly all of the problems of the first generation, more than halved load times. Are there still bugs? Sure.

But you're missing the point. I'm not complaining about load times or glitches with playback on certain discs. I'm complaining about the fact that the complete lack of a standard that all players must conform to, along with incomplete software specs means that in 6 months when these specs are “finalized” (most likely not for the last time), current players may not be able to play new discs conforming to the finalized specs.

Rendering old hardware unusable is unacceptable. Why would anyone invest in a new BD player right now if they may not even be able to use it in the future?

HD DVD specs were finalized before the players were out and each stand-alone player must conform to strict guidelines in order to get approval (i.e. TrueHD and DD+ decoding on the player) which, for BD, does not apply.

How do they expect anyone to take their format seriously when they keep changing it up and offer products that don’t have a standard set of features ensuring that any disc can be played back with 100% features possible?
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-07, 10:23 AM   #10
OWA

Okay, point taken and I did miss it initially. Sorry about that.
Old 04-12-07, 11:47 AM   #11
evilchris

OWA is comparing buggy end user devices to a format that isn't even finalized yet. Wow, same thing right? lol
Old 04-12-07, 12:13 PM   #12
OWA

Hmm, I thought I already posted that I missed his point in the post above yours. Guess you missed that, huh.