Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-12-07, 07:53 AM   #1
Seehund

Default AGP issues with 7800 GS and AMD760MPX mobo

I have recently switched from a Radeon 9600XT to a GeForce 7800 GS. The box it's installed in is based on an ASUS A7M266-D mobo (AMD 760 MPX chipset) and two Athlon XP 2400+ "Thorton" CPUs.

The first thing I found out was that I needed to adjust the AGP signal drive strength. Until I had that figured out I thought I had gotten a broken card (the visible symptoms looked very much like bad video RAM), but after some googling and BIOS fiddling, everything now works just fine in Windows XP, including overclocking both the CPU and the GPU.

Linux (Fedora Core 6 + NVIDIA drivers 1.0.9755 from Livna) is different, however. I currently have to disable AGP altogether with NvAGP set to 0 in xorg.conf.

If I use AGPGART, or NVIDIA's AGP (only possible for me when booting with agp=off), I get bizarre artifacts on the Beryl desktop and in 3D apps (e.g. glxgears).

Also, with AGP enabled, I can't use even the slightest FSB overclock (which is important and quite noticeable to me and my "old" machine); if I add a few MHz, then 3D apps and e.g. mplayer (xv) will only show black windows. With AGP disabled, my "normal" FSB overclocking works fine, just like it used to with the Radeon and AGP enabled. I don't even plan on touching the GPU clocks in Linux, at least not until I'm running stable under otherwise normal conditions.

Priority 1: Get AGP working and stable without artifacts et c. with the default FSB.
Priority 1B : Get the same with my "normal" FSB overclock (2x143 MHz).

Has anyone managed to get a stable similar system with AGP enabled? Is this a known issue? Can I expect to get AGP running? Suggestions?

Edit:
Here's what nvidia-bug-report.sh has to say:
AGPGART, default FSB 133MHz, display corruption
AGPGART, FSB 143MHz, X crashed
No AGP, default FSB
No AGP, FSB143
NVAGP, default FSB, display corruption
NVAGP, FSB143, crashed

Last edited by Seehund; 04-12-07 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Added logs
Seehund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-07, 07:32 PM   #2
piotrq__

Default Re: AGP issues with 7800 GS and AMD760MPX mobo

How about trying a different distro, even a LiveCD? Just to check if these are not software/software setup related issues you know.
piotrq__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-07, 02:13 AM   #3
Seehund

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotrq__
How about trying a different distro, even a LiveCD? Just to check if these are not software/software setup related issues you know.
Thanks for the suggestion. Can you recommend a live CD/DVD with a built-in NVIDIA binary blob? I have a Ubuntu 6.10 live DVD, but it only seems to run the nv driver from X.org (which works beautifully, only without 3D acceleration).
Old 04-13-07, 03:34 AM   #4
piotrq__

Kororaa 0.1 should do the job.
http://devnull.vm.bytemark.co.uk/sef...livecd-0.1.iso
Old 04-13-07, 04:58 AM   #5
Seehund

Nope, with Kororaa + XGL + Compiz(?) I have the same issues with AGP: triangle/line artifacts when anything is moving (windows, menus, 3D xscreensaver modules, ...), and if I raise the FSB to a more acceptable level, then X will crash when the XGL 3D stuff is loading.

BTW, I downloaded and used Kororaa 0.2 instead of 0.1, I suppose 0.1 isn't recommended for any particular reason? K0.2 includes the 1.0-8178 NVIDIA drivers.

BTW, since my first post I have also tried raising and lowering the "PCI Latency Timer" in the mobo BIOS (I first had it set to 128, as recommended by the post I linked to in the beginning), but I see no difference.

Anyone?
Old 04-13-07, 05:16 AM   #6
piotrq__

Have you tried stress-testing under Windows? Like 3D Mark 2003, Prime 95?
Old 04-13-07, 05:43 AM   #7
Seehund

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotrq__
Have you tried stress-testing under Windows? Like 3D Mark 2003, Prime 95?
Not as in leaving those things running for days, but yes, it passes several consecutive runs of e.g. 3DMark 03+06, SPECViewperf 9, games like F.E.A.R., HL2 Lost Coast video stress test et c. I haven't run Prime 95 since before I installed the GeForce, but I always keep the distributed.net client running in the background. No problems at all that I can see, and that's with both the CPU and GPU overclocked. The GPU temperature maxes out at around 65C. The single oddity I've seen are consistently distorted texture colours in the NVIDIA "Mad Mod Mike" demo, and nothing I do seems to get rid of that.
Old 04-13-07, 09:48 AM   #8
Seehund

Hah! I had forgotten to play with the AGP rates. Now I've pulled down AGP from 4x to 2x in BIOS, and everything's running stable and fine so far with at least AGPGART (haven't tested NVAGP yet).

Am I to understand that one actually has to recompile the driver in order to change AGP rates, unless one wants to mess with the BIOS settings? I'm supposed to change the BIOS settings everytime I'd like to play a game (i.e. boot to Windows with AGP 4x support)?

NVIDIA, please try to do something about that! (Well, AGP 4x would be nice too!) From my Radeon/fglrx days I'm used to having an "AGPMode" option in xorg.conf, and I've come to really like the convenience in using the Livna yum repository for my drivers without compiling anything manually.

Old 04-13-07, 10:48 AM   #9
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

From the information provided here, it looks quite likely that your motherboard has linux AGP driver issues (or signal integrity problems which are potentially worked around in the Windows AGP driver). This is not an NVIDIA bug.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-07, 04:10 PM   #10
Lethe

You will not noticeable see any difference between agp 2x and 4x. Just leave it on 2x - and thinking about it, just leave Linux installed.

Nick
Lethe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-07, 04:14 PM   #11
Seehund

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
From the information provided here, it looks quite likely that your motherboard has linux AGP driver issues (or signal integrity problems which are potentially worked around in the Windows AGP driver). This is not an NVIDIA bug.
Thanks for your reply.

Wouldn't it be, at least theoretically, possible to adopt the same potential Windows workarounds to your NvAGP driver? (I'm not a Linux hacker, in case that's not already obvious! )

And how about adding an AGP speed setting to the driver options in xorg.conf? I hope that's something that's planned already. I just noticed that if I leave the BIOS setting at AGP 2x when booting Windows, then things will become an artifacted spiky mess (I only tried running 3Dmark 03, and already its first game test only showed garbage).

Edit: Hi Nick, we typed at the same time it seems. Well, I would leave AGP at 2x in Windows as well if I could, but see above.
Old 04-13-07, 04:20 PM   #12
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Please note that NVIDIA has no visibility into third-party Windows chipset drivers.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote