Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Software Development

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-23-07, 02:02 PM   #13
ViN86

Default Re: Need a non-functional PHP login box

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilghost
I know this is an older thread but I wanted to comment on the t3hl33td4rg0n's excellent example. All is fine, however, it is is strongly recommended that you use the mysql_escape_string(); function to properly sanitize user-input to avoid SQL injection.

In his example, the below code:

Code:
$s = 'SELECT * FROM `'.$utbl.'` WHERE `user` = `'.$_POST['username'].'` AND `pass` = `'.md5($_POST['password']).'`';
Should become:
Code:
$s = 'SELECT * FROM `'.$utbl.'` WHERE `user` = `'.mysql_escape_string($_POST['username']).'` AND `pass` = `'.md5($_POST['password']).'`';
This will prevent SQL injection, else, SQL injection could occur.
evilghost -

i assume that youre using the .md5() to hash the password. is it ok to use the password() hashing method instead?

this is what i planned to use in my MySQL database.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-07, 02:07 PM   #14
evilghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86
evilghost -

i assume that youre using the .md5() to hash the password. is it ok to use the password() hashing method instead?

this is what i planned to use in my MySQL database.
What's the password() method? crypt()? I like MD5 because it's a one-way hash and to test for successful login all you have to do is:

if(md5($user_supplied_password) == $md5_value_from_db)
//auth_ok
else
//auth_failed
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-07, 06:07 PM   #15
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilghost
What's the password() method? crypt()? I like MD5 because it's a one-way hash and to test for successful login all you have to do is:

if(md5($user_supplied_password) == $md5_value_from_db)
//auth_ok
else
//auth_failed
the password() function is a hash function as well. it's inside MySQL i believe.

EDIT:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/user-names.html

actually, it appears to be its own encryption function in MySQL. i found a way to call the function outside of MySQL. i assume i just use that function instead of the md5() call?
http://us.php.net/mysql
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-07, 07:56 PM   #16
evilghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86
the password() function is a hash function as well. it's inside MySQL i believe.

EDIT:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/user-names.html

actually, it appears to be its own encryption function in MySQL. i found a way to call the function outside of MySQL. i assume i just use that function instead of the md5() call?
http://us.php.net/mysql
This really comes down to preference but I prefer md5 as a one-way hash versus an encrypted string for two reasons, first is there isn't a decryption method (aside from brute-force or something like an md5 dictionary) and second because if I md5() user input I am also successfully escaping it and preventing SQL injection as opposed to having to call mysql_escape_string() and then pass the escaped sequence for encryption against the database.

Again, all preference.
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote