Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-12-07, 12:27 PM   #1
wesmoc

Default Modelines for native plasma resolution (1366x768)

I've been digging around, searched numerous sites, and read the posts in the forum here, but I've come up pretty light on information.

I'm trying to display the native resolution on my new Panasonic TH-58PX600U over VGA (1366x768 @ 48.36kHz (horizontal) 60.0 Hz (vertical)). If I display via Component-Out at 720p, the picture is perfect. However, for numerous reasons, I can't stick with Component out.

According to the manual, VGA can accept 1366x768@60Hz.

If I need a custom mode line, which is more than likely, how in the world can I create or find it?
wesmoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-07, 02:08 PM   #2
pe1chl

Default Re: Modelines for native plasma resolution (1366x768)

Nvidia video cards cannot output a 1366 pixel horizontal resolution. The resolution has to be a multiple of 8.
So first you need to decide if you go for 1360 or 1368.
Once you have done that, you can calculate a modeline. Of course there are a couple of sites that explain how to calculate a modeline from resolution and frequencies, and tools like "cvt" exist, too. But your monitor may provide a nearly-usable modeline itself, look in the logfile.
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-07, 03:08 PM   #3
wesmoc

[EDIT]It was pointed out to me (further in this thread) that this information is for the WINDOWS driver. The Linux driver still had the "multiple of 8" limitation.

-----

Well, according to nVidia, the "multiple of 8" limitation isn't there any more in the latest drivers:
"NVIDIA GPUs can now support horizontal timings that are not evenly divisible by eight." http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/n...hp?p_faqid=143

Of course, if I had read that page a little further, I would have seen:
"However, such resolutions (example H .1366 x V. 768) must be included within the Displays EDID* firmware."

I found a couple of sites that help with the creation of the ModeLine, but they ask for a lot of information that, unfortunately, I don't have (or don't know if I have it). This is do-able, right?
Old 04-12-07, 03:08 PM   #4
miltiad

Let me know the results of your tests I'm trying to connect my plasma too.
miltiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-07, 03:12 PM   #5
wesmoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltiad
Let me know the results of your tests I'm trying to connect my plasma too.
I found this modeline on another site for a similar set, and the result is close, but it's like mystical art that I can't comprehend. I don't even feel comfortable using it because I don't know if it is right, and I don't know what to fiddle with to make it "closer".

Modeline "1360x768" 85.500 1360 1424 1536 1792 768 771 777 795 +Hsync +Vsync
Old 04-12-07, 03:13 PM   #6
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

The URL you've referenced is specific to the Windows graphics driver. I'd suggest reviewing the Linux grahpics driver README, as it still notes the multiple of 8 rule.

thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-07, 03:23 PM   #7
wesmoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
The URL you've referenced is specific to the Windows graphics driver. I'd suggest reviewing the Linux grahpics driver README, as it still notes the multiple of 8 rule.
Argh! *bangs head in to desk*

Thanks for the clarification. That one would have nagged me for a while.

Ok.. So.. that means that I have to either:
1. develop a modeline for 1360x768,
2. use the modeline that I found (but it was for a different set),
3. develop a modeline for 1368x768 and live with the fact that 2 pixels won't be on the screen,
4. use component and just push 720p, or
5. use dvi->hdmi and just push 720p

Well.. #4 is out because I am limited on component connections on the set, although I could buy a component switch or something. #2 scares me because it was for another set. #1 is kind of pointless since #3 would provide more accuracy. #5 is looking more appealing.

Although, back to my original question, though. Is coming up with a modeline for, in this case, 1368x768 something feasable? It was mentioned to look in the log, which I did, but I didn't see anything at that resolution..
Old 04-12-07, 04:05 PM   #8
pe1chl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesmoc
I found a couple of sites that help with the creation of the ModeLine, but they ask for a lot of information that, unfortunately, I don't have
What kind of information is that?
You have the horizontal and vertical resolution, and you have mentioned preferred horizontal and vertical frequencies.
The only other information present in the modeline is the position and duration of sync pulses. Just take default values and tweak them when the picture is shifted.

(probably you can shift the picture on your TV set to, but maybe you don't want to do that when a single setting is shared between all different input modes. then you want to get it right for received programmes or your DVD player, and adjust the computer so that it works OK for those settings)

Old 04-12-07, 09:56 PM   #9
wesmoc

Well, the one site was:
http://www.tkk.fi/Misc/Electronics/f...2rgb/calc.html

And, for most of the fields, like "Front Porch", "Sync Pulse", etc, I have no idea what they mean much less what to put in there.

In looking at the modeline that I posted earlier:
Modeline "1360x768" 85.500 1360 1424 1536 1792 768 771 777 795 +Hsync +Vsync

I don't even know what most of the lines are. Sure, I can guess what a couple of them are..
Old 04-13-07, 04:15 AM   #10
pe1chl

Well, what you find on that link site I would not really call a "calculator".
It just asks you for the values of all the fields and puts them on a modeline...
When you know what to input in those form fields you don't need the site at all.

But there are other sites that explain how a modeline works. The numbers basically are a starting frequency and division factors. There are two counters running in the videocard for which the area is specified that makes the real screen output, the startpoint and endpoint of the sync pulse, and the total count after which the counter starts at 0 again.

You read the modeline as:
Modeline "modename" f1 h1 h2 h3 h4 v1 v2 v3 v4 options

The Hsync freq is f1/h4. The vsync freq is f1/(h4*v4).
So when you start from a modeline like you gave, you know what to tweak to get another hsync or vsync freq.
h2/h3 and v2/v3 specify the sync position. Keep the difference the same (sync pulse length) and tweak the values to shift the picture when required.

Of course it is easier to use xvidtune to experiment.