Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-05-07, 09:31 PM   #1
supra
2JZ powered

Send a message via MSN to supra
Exclamation is 6800GT about to go?

Hi,

i turned off my pc last night (it had only been running for a day). and just out of the blue when i turned it on this morning i heard a really loud vibration.

opened the case to find the problem and it was coming from my card. sounded like the fan was hitting something (nothing was even near the fan).

i turned off the pc immediately and removed the card. the fan looked fine. nothing was touching it. there was about 1/2 a millimeter of dust on it so i cleaned that out put the card back in and turned on the pc again.

the sound was still there but not as loud. i let the pc run for about a min and within the min the sound slowly stopped like it wasnt hitting anything again.

temperatures are fine atm. 2 degrees cooler actually (probs cos of the dust i cleaned)

any suggestion on what to do? is the card itself about to go or just the fan? maybe buy a new aftermarket cooler?
Old 04-05-07, 11:54 PM   #2
kevJ420
*BANNED*

Default Re: is 6800GT about to go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra
Hi,

i turned off my pc last night (it had only been running for a day). and just out of the blue when i turned it on this morning i heard a really loud vibration.

opened the case to find the problem and it was coming from my card. sounded like the fan was hitting something (nothing was even near the fan).

i turned off the pc immediately and removed the card. the fan looked fine. nothing was touching it. there was about 1/2 a millimeter of dust on it so i cleaned that out put the card back in and turned on the pc again.

the sound was still there but not as loud. i let the pc run for about a min and within the min the sound slowly stopped like it wasnt hitting anything again.

temperatures are fine atm. 2 degrees cooler actually (probs cos of the dust i cleaned)

any suggestion on what to do? is the card itself about to go or just the fan? maybe buy a new aftermarket cooler?
You were quite lucky that your 6800gt lasted this long.

I suggest getting something newer, but then again, that's just me.
kevJ420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-07, 12:22 AM   #3
supra
2JZ powered

ya im going to build a whole new system soon but just need this thing to last until i do.
Old 04-06-07, 10:45 AM   #4
Bman212121

Quote:
Hi,

It's just an old fan that is getting worn out. They will sound crappy when you first turn it on because it is unbalanced, and then it will go away when it is running straight. The fan might last a while yet, but it will eventually die, and when that happens the card won't work properly anymore. I'm not sure if it is worth getting another cooler as the cost of one is probably 1/4 of the price of what the card is worth. You can probably leave it be for a couple of months and just bear with the noise when you first turn it on, and then replace the card a little later.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-07, 09:02 PM   #5
supra
2JZ powered

ok thnx. i might just get another cooler cos it would really piss me off listening to the noise everytime i boot up the pc.

looks like ill have to upgrade my system sooner than i thought
Old 04-07-07, 02:04 AM   #6
Bman212121

Quote:
ok thnx. i might just get another cooler cos it would really piss me off listening to the noise everytime i boot up the pc.

looks like ill have to upgrade my system sooner than i thought
If you want to quiet it down you can add some grease onto the fan motor's shaft, and it will usually stop it from making noise for a little while, but I've never been able to keep it away by doing that. Within a few weeks it usually starts complaining again. If you pull the fan off, the side that is the opposite of the blades usually has a plastic sticker covering it, you just peel that back, and add a little grease in there and spin it around a few times. That should quiet it for now, but I've never had it work for a long term fix.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-07, 07:18 AM   #7
supra
2JZ powered

just shortly after my last post. the dam thing died! R.I.P my 6800GT. mann it was a sweet card!

Im happy and upset right now. Im upset cos my bank account is $2000(aus) less

and im happy because well..... check my sig
Old 04-07-07, 04:14 PM   #8
CoolZone

i do not know why a lot of people had problems with cards from the 6800 series.i have even now a 6800 ultra that has never failed me once!
CoolZone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-07, 08:21 PM   #9
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolZone
i do not know why a lot of people had problems with cards from the 6800 series.i have even now a 6800 ultra that has never failed me once!
I know, my old 6800GT is chuggin' right along (was an AGP version, one of the originals), as well as my brother's 6800GS (moded to a GT). Great cards those were.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 09:17 AM   #10
Joe Public
o(^3^)o

The fan on my 6800GT also started dying on me. Nothing a VF-700 couldn't solve.
Old 04-16-07, 12:14 PM   #11
wshadow
Mac Tech by day...PC:)

my 6800gt died, and i had to get a 7600gt to replace it...I still have the NV silencer for it tho
p4 3.0 with 8ik1100, 1gig corsair 433 xms,6600 GT,enermax 460w, Silverstone lc03 black, logitech z-680, Samsung 910t, audigy 2,liteon external 8dvdrw,WD SATA 120gb, 36g raptor,DVD Xpress,nostromo n52,mx1000 . all powered by your mom!!!

The only state Palestine is, is a state of Terrorism.

United under GOD! If you arent under GOD, then dont call yourself American. Allah isnt GOD.
wshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 03:03 PM   #12
Quick420

Quote:
Hi,

Grab an old arctic cooler 5 off flea-bay....rinse(I mean clean off the ol' goo with something soft) ...add arctic cooler 5(aka ac5)attach cooler.Should work fine.I've tortured a few of these cards and yet to kill one...lawls,If not I'll be back Damn just read the above post...it died :-( ****e.....dont toss it yet though,put it in the wifeys puter.
2x2gb Ddr2 1066mhz 4-4-4-12 1T
3xWD WD5000AAKS 500gb/sata300/ 1xSeagate 320gb Ide(tuuunz)
X-fi Fatality Pro*ASUS VH242H 24"LCD*:::Windoze 7-64bit:::
Sony DvD/Ram-Drive
Logitech G25
3dmark06 17,898 Vantage 12,851

If the light is GREEN the trap is clean
Quick420 is offline   Reply With Quote