Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-08-07, 04:54 PM   #1
kevJ420
*BANNED*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NN VA
Posts: 1,155
Default Just read something quite interesting.

I went to nvidias website to see if their product and driver suggestions part was up, but instead I just decided to look at Exec profiles, and Jen-Hsuang,
worked for AMD before he founded nvidia in 1993. How long has AMD been around? I was under the impression that the absolute latest they'd have started was 96, but apparently I'm wrong.

Also, what did nvidia do in the years before working with sega and the nv1?

The Saturn hardware was finalised in 1993, the same year he founded nvidia.
kevJ420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-07, 05:04 PM   #2
buffbiff21
*B4NNED*
 
buffbiff21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 2,002
Default Re: Just read something quite interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD

AMD was founded in 1969.
__________________
GeForce 8800GTS 640MB
buffbiff21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-07, 05:59 PM   #3
Redeemed
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 17,982
Default Re: Just read something quite interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevpla1@cox.net
I went to nvidias website to see if their product and driver suggestions part was up, but instead I just decided to look at Exec profiles, and Jen-Hsuang,
worked for AMD before he founded nvidia in 1993. How long has AMD been around? I was under the impression that the absolute latest they'd have started was 96, but apparently I'm wrong.

Also, what did nvidia do in the years before working with sega and the nv1?

The Saturn hardware was finalised in 1993, the same year he founded nvidia.
Have you no experience with AMD's 5x86- K5, K6, K6-2, and K6-3 chips? No, AMD has been around almost as long as Intel.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-07, 11:08 PM   #4
Redeemed
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 17,982
Default Re: Just read something quite interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiwan
He must be too young to know that...
Well, he claims to be 19- and I'm only 20 myself. I don't think age really has much to do with it.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-07, 11:26 PM   #5
kevJ420
*BANNED*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NN VA
Posts: 1,155
Default Re: Just read something quite interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
Have you no experience with AMD's 5x86- K5, K6, K6-2, and K6-3 chips? No, AMD has been around almost as long as Intel.
Damn, I thought the K6 series was their 1st cpu series.

I also thought that 586 referred to a pentium 1, since that was the successor to the 486.
kevJ420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-07, 11:37 PM   #6
Redeemed
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 17,982
Default Re: Just read something quite interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevpla1@cox.net
Damn, I thought the K6 series was their 1st cpu series.

I also thought that 586 referred to a pentium 1, since that was the successor to the 486.
Um, AMD made 4x86's and I even believe they made a 3x86. The K5 and K6 series were the successors to AMD's 5x86.

AMD has been around for quite a long time.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 12:44 AM   #7
jcniest5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Twin Cities, MN., USA
Posts: 678
Default Re: Just read something quite interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
Um, AMD made 4x86's and I even believe they made a 3x86. The K5 and K6 series were the successors to AMD's 5x86.

AMD has been around for quite a long time.
And all the way back to 8088/86/286, etc...
__________________
Asus Rampage Extreme with Intel E1400@3.2Ghz, 4GB (2x2GB) OCZ Platinum PC3-1600, EVGA GTX285 SC 1GB DDR3
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe 1.01G, AMD A64 X2 3800+, 2x1GB Ultra PC-3200, BFG 9600GT OC 512MB DDR3
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, A64 3200 Venice, 2x1GB Crucial Ballistix PC-4000 and EVGA 7600GT 256MB DDR3
Abit KN8 Rev. 1.1, A64 3200+, 2x512MB Samsung PC-3700, MSI 8500GT 256MB DDR3
Gigabyte P4M900-M7 Rev. 7.0, Intel Celeron 440, 1GB Kingston, 6600LE
Gigabyte P4M900-M4 Rev. 6.1, P4 3Ghz Prescott, 2x1GB OCZ Platinum Rev. 2, EVGA 8500GT 1GB DDR2
ECS L4VXA2, P4 2Ghz, 768MB and 6600GT AGP
jcniest5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 12:52 AM   #8
Redeemed
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 17,982
Default Re: Just read something quite interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcniest5
And all the way back to 8088/86/286, etc...
I thought so... one of my first computers was a Toshiba laptop with an 8088. That was back in the day.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-07, 01:03 AM   #9
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: Just read something quite interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevpla1@cox.net
Damn, I thought the K6 series was their 1st cpu series.

I also thought that 586 referred to a pentium 1, since that was the successor to the 486.
why would you start at K6?

just cause 6 is a cool number or something?


think about it....
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 02:17 AM   #10
einstein_314
w00t!!
 
einstein_314's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,905
Default Re: Just read something quite interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86
why would you start at K6?

just cause 6 is a cool number or something?


think about it....
^^ what he said
__________________
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2GHz (9 x 355) w/ Swiftec APOGEE GTX Waterblock|| Asus P5B-Deluxe WiFi Edition
eVGA 8800 GTX Superclocked Edition @ 675/1150 w/ DangerDen 8800GTX Waterblock|| 4x1GB Mushkin XP2 PC2-8500
X-Fi Fatal1ty 64MB || PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W || Seagate 7200.10 320 GB || Dell 2407WFP
Logitech Z-5300 Speakers || Sennheiser HD555's || Logitech G7 || Logitech G15 || Windows Vista Ultimate x64
einstein_314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 11:33 PM   #11
Slammin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,123
Default Re: Just read something quite interesting.

Yeah, those were the fun days. Intel would come out with 486, AMD would come out with a clone. Then intel would come back with 486-DX, DX2, etc, then AMD would depart the whole mess and trump intel with something completely different.

Man, those were the days!

Wait, they still are!
__________________
Abit IN9 32x MAX- Kentsfield QX6700 @3520
1.5 vcore watercooled D-Tek Fuzion/PA-160/MCR120/2x MCP655
2x2GB G-Skill 1066 5-5-5-15 2T@1.9vdimm
2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB Sli
2x 74GB Sata Raptor Raid0
2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II
X-FI Elite Pro
Dell U3011
Lian Li V2100B
Corsair HX1000
Slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-07, 07:36 AM   #12
Redeemed
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 17,982
Default Re: Just read something quite interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammin
Yeah, those were the fun days. Intel would come out with 486, AMD would come out with a clone. Then intel would come back with 486-DX, DX2, etc, then AMD would depart the whole mess and trump intel with something completely different.

Man, those were the days!

Wait, they still are!
LOL

I remember getting a 486-DX2 80Mhz and thinking it was all that, then later getting a 5x86 at 133Mhz and I felt invincible (that was what, socket 3 I believe?).

Yup, the golden days.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gaikai_Inc: Read our latest newsletter with updates on all our E3 2012 press & new ga News Archived News Items 0 06-15-12 12:40 AM
Gaikai_Inc: Read the live blog from AMD Fusion Developer Summit #AFDS with minutes an News Archived News Items 0 06-13-12 06:30 PM
in 307.11 don't read Fan speed with nvidia-settings sl1pkn07 NVIDIA Linux 2 05-21-12 10:08 AM
APM (nonsuspend) hard-lockups - I READ THE FAQ idangazit NVIDIA Linux 9 12-27-02 07:43 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.