Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-12-07, 09:08 PM   #1
TrickyRic

Default Black screen on Acer Aspire 9301

Hi,

I've recently purchased an Acer Aspire 9301 laptop with an NVIDIA GeForce Go 6100 and a CrystalBrite WXGA+ widescreen display.

Unfortunately I cannot seem to get the NVIDIA drivers going on this thing. Using the NV drivers I can at least get the system booting to a 640x480 resolution, but with NVIDIA I'm only booting X to a black screen.

Errors and warnings are somewhat hard to find but I've come to the conclusion this laptop is trying to force a dual head display, but that doesn't explain why the NV drivers work to some extent.

The systems wanting to use 2 seperate Bus ID's, I guess each being reference to an output (As well as the laptop screen I also have a standard VGA out and an S-Video out). Regardless of which Bus ID I define in my Device section, when I kill the black screen to see what X has dumped to the terminal I see a line referencing the unused ID.

"(WW) No matching Device section for instance (BusID ... ) found"

No other errors or warnings are dumped, and my Xorg.0.log contains nothing of any great importance.

Any advice?

Thanks.

I'm running the Gentoo distribution with NVIDIA drivers 8776 - the latest in the stable tree.
TrickyRic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-07, 09:11 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Black screen on Acer Aspire 9301

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46678
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-07, 11:37 PM   #3
TrickyRic

Hi,

I realise my post isn't very detailed but unfortunately the level of detail to be had is pretty minimal. As I stated above, the errors and warnings usually found in Xorg.0.conf and terminal outputs simply don't exist.

1. This isn't a stability issue. I'm using the latest drivers from the portage stable tree and I'm not experiencing anything other than a black screen. Nothing is crashing out, no errors or warnings are being parsed - in fact if I add 'exec startkde' to my initrc file, KDE boots up and killing X results in KDE shutdown messages being buffered to the terminal. This is literally nothing more than a black screen.

2. I've searched endlessly for a number of days now - here, Google, other forums. All I seem to come accross are bug reports from 2005 of similar issues, mainly with Ubuntu. Similar reports are being made regarding WXGA screens too. I've yet to find anything worth noting though.

3. Not entirely sure what to say here to be honest. There's not a right lot to go on, thus I'm limited as to the level of detail I can provide or any steps to reproduce. Simply typing startx is enough...

My nvidia-bug-report.log doesn't seem to show anything of interest, other than my xorg.conf obviously. Unfortunately given the system in question isn't booting into X, getting a copy of this log online could take some time... I'll see what I can do.

I used Gentoo's Portage system to emerge the drivers. My emerge log contains no errors or warnings other than a notice to try disabling TwinView if resolution issues occur. I've already done this.

Thanks.
Old 04-12-07, 11:44 PM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

No one is going to be able to determine what is happening on your system without an nvidia-bug-report.log.
Old 04-13-07, 07:48 AM   #5
TrickyRic

Managed to copy the log over, here it is.

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (58.3 KB, 162 views)
Old 04-13-07, 10:51 AM   #6
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

1.0-8776 is no longer supported. Does this problem persist with 1.0-9755?
Old 04-13-07, 01:48 PM   #7
TrickyRic

8776 is the latest stable release in the Portage tree. More recent drivers are masked for my architecture.

However, though I'd rather not use unstable packages I'll emerge 9755 for testing.

Thanks.
Old 04-13-07, 04:48 PM   #8
TrickyRic

I'm getting much better results with these drivers so far, however the display is running at 50Hz which seems low to me - thats what CRT televisions run at! I'm also getting jittery movie playback. The best playback I'm getting is in MPlayer, from a terminal, with the NVIDIA settings set to high performance with no vertical syncronization, but this still isn't perfect.

Also when I kill the X server my terminal is given incorrect rendering - almost as if every 5th row of pixels has been cleared. This is possibly why the drivers are masked by Portage.

Thanks.

Old 04-13-07, 04:52 PM   #9
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

None of what you've described is a known bug, so unless Gentoo knows something that NVIDIA is unaware of, and hasn't reported it back to us, I doubt that is why Gentoo isn't providing 1.0-9755 as a stable driver.

How did you determine that the display has a 50Hz refresh rate?
How can the mplayer issue be reproduced?

Also, please provide a bug report.
Old 04-13-07, 09:29 PM   #10
TrickyRic

Simply playing a movie file reproduces the issue. As I say, MPlayer from a terminal appears to be the smoothest of renders, but its not perfect. Granted the only movies available to me for testing are Disney classics, as AVI, but they do play smoother on my desktop with 8776 drivers and an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 graphic card.

The refresh rate I simply grabbed from the KDE Control Center. It's the only value I can set. Unfortunately Acer have always lacked in useful technical specifications, so I had to grab my horizontal and vertical sync settings from the XOrg configuration a Live Gentoo CD generates. H 28-96, V 50-75. I can only assume these settings to be correct.

I'll grab a bug report as soon as the laptops finished compiling this set of packages.

Thanks.
Old 04-13-07, 09:45 PM   #11
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

The KDE Kontrol center is misreporting the refresh rate. This has been discussed in other threads on this forum.

You'll need to provide or point me to movie content which reproduces the issue. Also, I'd like to see the MPlayer output while this problem is present.
Old 04-13-07, 10:51 PM   #12
TrickyRic

Here's the bug report. I havn't looked through this one myself though.

Unfortunately I cannot provide you with the movie files in question, as I'm sure you'll understand given we're in an age where piracy laws prevent us from even sharing media we have legitimately paid for, yet alone media we obtained through other methods. I'm pretty sure this is specific to any AVI movie though, if that helps. I've yet to test with other formats.

Ignoring the ALSA errors as I don't yet have sound configured on this system, the MPlayer output looks fine to me.

Code:
MPlayer 1.0rc1-4.1.1 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
CPU: AMD Turion(tm) 64 Mobile Technology MK-36 (Family: 15, Model: 76, Stepping: 2)
MMX2 supported but disabled
3DNow supported but disabled
3DNowExt supported but disabled
CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 0 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX SSE SSE2

Playing Beauty And The Beast.avi.
AVI file format detected.
VIDEO:  [XVID]  720x576  24bpp  25.000 fps  890.0 kbps (108.6 kbyte/s)
==========================================================================
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
Selected video codec: [ffodivx] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg MPEG-4)
Opening audio decoder: [mp3lib] MPEG layer-2, layer-3
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 192.0 kbit/13.61% (ratio: 24000->176400)
Selected audio codec: [mp3] afm: mp3lib (mp3lib MPEG layer-2, layer-3)
[AO OSS] audio_setup: Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: No such file or directory
alsa-lib: confmisc.c:848:(snd_func_card_driver) cannot find card '0'
alsa-lib: conf.c:3500:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such device
alsa-lib: confmisc.c:397:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
alsa-lib: conf.c:3500:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such device
alsa-lib: confmisc.c:1248:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
alsa-lib: conf.c:3500:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such device
alsa-lib: conf.c:3972:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such device
alsa-lib: pcm.c:2145:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
alsa-init: playback open error: No such device
mcop warning: user defined signal handler found for SIG_PIPE, overriding
[AO ARTS] Connected to sound server.
[AO ARTS] Stream opened.
[AO ARTS] buffer size: 20480
[AO ARTS] buffer size: 2048
AO: [arts] 44100Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
Starting playback...
VDec: vo config request - 720 x 576 (preferred colorspace: Planar YV12)
VDec: using Planar YV12 as output csp (no 0)
Movie-Aspect is 1.25:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
VO: [xv] 720x576 => 720x576 Planar YV12
[mpeg4 @ 0xbc3510]frame skip 8ct:  0.000   1/  1 ??% ??% ??,?% 0 0
[mpeg4 @ 0xbc3510]frame skip 8ct:  0.004   2/  2 ??% ??% ??,?% 0 0
Only 2 frames were dropped from around 5 minutes of playback. What I did notice however, are the statements regarding disabled support.

Code:
MMX2 supported but disabled
3DNow supported but disabled
3DNowExt supported but disabled
Should I have these API's enabled? If so, how do I go about enabling them? Somewhere in the Kernel? BIOS? xorg.conf?

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (91.0 KB, 104 views)