Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-13-07, 11:10 PM   #13
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Black screen on Acer Aspire 9301

I don't see anything in your bug report to suggest a driver bug.

MMX2, etc are functions provided by your CPU, but support for them needs to be compiled into MPlayer. It seems that your problem is a broken MPlayer build, or perhaps your kernel isn't compiled for the correct CPU. Regardless, I don't see anything here to suggest a driver bug.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-07, 08:51 AM   #14
TrickyRic

I've just checked my USE flags and indeed 3dnow and 3dnowext were not enabled as compile options. Just enabled them and started to recompile MPlayer. MMX2 doesn't appear to be a supported flag though. I'm wondering if i should have added the mmxext too.

With Gentoo everything from the ground up is compiled explicitly for your hardware and preferences, enabling extreme performance, reliability, and stability. The Turion processor is basically a rebrand of Athlon64, for laptops, so with my Arch set to K8, Athlon64 and Opteron, I'm pretty sure everything is compiled correctly. My Kernel is custom built though so its quite possible I missed something out in there.

I'll post back the results of these USE flags.

Thanks.
TrickyRic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-07, 09:30 AM   #15
TrickyRic

I compiled with mmxext too and playback looks smooth. Not sure which flag did the trick but one of them certainly has.

Thanks.
Old 04-17-07, 09:31 PM   #16
TrickyRic

I'm still getting odd rendering problems with the terminal output when I kill X, and I've experienced 2 near lock-ups where suddenly the system will quite literally crawl until I force a reboot. Even killing the X server has no effect. I can't find any obvious source though, not even a memory issue.

More importantly this is the second night running I've gone to bed with a headache. As a web developer I sit in front of screens somewhat excessively and its important they are configured correctly for my health. Given the health and safety standards recommend a screen refresh rate of 65Hz or higher to prevent eye strain and/or headaches, it seems to me this thing really is running in 50Hz. Any way I can test this?

Thanks.