Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-18-08, 01:29 AM   #25
Tea on Tuesday
stop, drop and ROFL

Default Re: AOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lognoronon
This thing better not turn out to be another Vanguard. I would like to find a better game than EQ 1 in my lifetime.
No such thing as a better MMO than EQ1, but it is definitely not another Vanguard.
Tea on Tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-08, 02:28 AM   #26
Badboy_12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by lognoronon
This thing better not turn out to be another Vanguard. I would like to find a better game than EQ 1 in my lifetime.
this will definantly not be another vanguard.
Badboy_12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-08, 05:34 AM   #27
spirited1

There will never, ever be another game like EQ1.

Do you think gamers of today could cope with a zone like Plane of Fear? There's no way, they'd shrivel up and suck their thumbs. No maps, no quest helpers, no goofy question marks above npc's heads. They'd be lost in complicated zones like Guk, die in traps like the jailcell in Najena, miss hidden walls, suffer xp loss on death, no safe instances to escape pvp, constantly die from trains because they're used to safe levelling.

Gamers weaned on WoW could not cope with EQ1. They wouldn't know how to use mana efficiently, wouldn't know how to get around without a minimap. They'd be totally overwhelmed. Faction would blow their minds, Sergeant Slate would have a field day, so would Fippy and Grimfeather. They'd fall into the Hole. They'd complain and send in petitions all the time. They'd lose their corpse. They'd die, constantly. They wouldn't make it past level 10, Norrath would eat them alive.

EQ1 would be just too hard, not because it's archaic or old, but because it's too 'real'. They could never rise to the challenge, why would they, when there's easier games to play. I know that sounds elitest, but it's true, and everyone who's ever played EQ1 knows it is.

I'll probably get flamed for that, but that's ok. I understand. It's not my fault, it's just that MMO's are different now. I don't actually agree with the direction they're headed in, but what do you do.
Old 04-18-08, 07:21 AM   #28
|MaguS|

You just made me cry... so many good memories! I remember when I leveled up high enough o pay back Slate... oh man he was never up for more then a min!

EQ1 is too old and too hard, there are alot of things that can be improved but many that should never have changed. I hate the idea of current MMOs being solo friendly... thats stupid. The who point of a massive community is to work together, not to be alone... Why play a MULTIPLAYER game alone?
Old 04-18-08, 08:01 AM   #29
Badboy_12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirited1
There will never, ever be another game like EQ1.
your right..

they will be better
Old 04-18-08, 08:33 AM   #30
|MaguS|

No MMORPG has ever hooked me like EQ did. I don't know what the magic behind it was but I was addicted to EQ. I think it was the whole group and community aspect. Too many of these games are so fast paced and solo oriented that they bore me so quickly.

EQ was so slow paced but it felt right, you sat in an area and combated the enemies while having time to converse to your group members about other things.
Old 04-18-08, 08:51 AM   #31
qube
Bored sins birth

preorderd conan Collectors Edition cant wait
playing boring lotro now
Old 04-18-08, 08:56 AM   #32
Badboy_12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
No MMORPG has ever hooked me like EQ did. I don't know what the magic behind it was but I was addicted to EQ. I think it was the whole group and community aspect. Too many of these games are so fast paced and solo oriented that they bore me so quickly.

EQ was so slow paced but it felt right, you sat in an area and combated the enemies while having time to converse to your group members about other things.
yes mmorpgs get boring really fast in solo. And most are solo friendly.
You pretty much need to get into a good guild to not get bored after a while.

Old 04-18-08, 09:02 AM   #33
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qube
preorderd conan Collectors Edition cant wait
playing boring lotro now
Same here....

First time I've ever pre-ordered a game

First time I've ever brought the Collectors Edition of a game

Core2 Q9400 @ 3.0, eVGA GTX 260, 4G DDR 800, Vista64
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-08, 09:09 AM   #34
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

If enough of us keep playing we should try to go to the same server if possible. It'd be nice having a community of friends right from the start.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-08, 09:09 AM   #35
Yaboze

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
You just made me cry... so many good memories! I remember when I leveled up high enough o pay back Slate... oh man he was never up for more then a min!

EQ1 is too old and too hard, there are alot of things that can be improved but many that should never have changed. I hate the idea of current MMOs being solo friendly... thats stupid. The who point of a massive community is to work together, not to be alone... Why play a MULTIPLAYER game alone?

Please don't take this as a flame, but this argument is old and tired. I say this because there are many things to do in a MMO, not just group and fight together. There are many ways you can co-operate with other players, without grouping. Crafting, trading, chatting ,roleplaying, etc. If I log into WoW, buy something off of the Auction House, then sell my wares on the same Auction House, then get a rogue to open my locked box and get a enchanter to put a enchant on my weapon, I have done things with other players that I could not do in a single player game. I have "played" with other players without fighting. These games are not all about fighting mobs, there are other aspects where having other players around is desireable.

I like to solo and group, but mainly I solo, because it takes time to find a group and I like to go at my own pace. Plus, I have a family and get interrupted at times and have to go AFK. The days of a diehard group centric game are over, IMHO. MMO's are a business that need subscribers and most people want to solo.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-08, 09:15 AM   #36
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaboze
I like to solo and group, but mainly I solo, because it takes time to find a group and I like to go at my own pace. Plus, I have a family and get interrupted at times and have to go AFK. The days of a diehard group centric game are over, IMHO. MMO's are a business that need subscribers and most people want to solo.
I agree - I simply don't have 4-5 hour time blocks to devote to an MMORPG very often these days. It's nice to be able to log in and accomplish something in short time periods spread around the week.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote