Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-14-07, 04:32 PM   #1
Elaskoard

Default where to get Vista 64 ?

Hey.

I live in Norway, and on all stores i have been looking on, and searched on, on the net, ONLY sells Vista 32 bit... i want to upgrade to 64 bit. but as i sayd, i cant find anywere to get it..

i heard sometime, that on the MS sites, u can upgrade ur 32 bit to 64 bit.. or something like that.. anyone knows something about it?

-Thanks in advance

(sorry for my english)
Elaskoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-07, 04:39 PM   #2
grey_1

Default Re: where to get Vista 64 ?

Pretty sure this is the page I ordered from.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...a/default.mspx

iirc only Ultimate ships with both versions. Otherwize order the disc from MS. It's a $10.00 flat fee and it took around 4-5 weeks for me to get my disc.
Old 04-14-07, 04:50 PM   #3
Elaskoard

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1
Pretty sure this is the page I ordered from.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...a/default.mspx

iirc only Ultimate ships with both versions. Otherwize order the disc from MS. It's a $10.00 flat fee and it took around 4-5 weeks for me to get my disc.
thanks alot for the answer =)

the top line on that site says:

Congratulations on upgrading to Windows Vista. The retail package product ships on DVD with 32-bit edition software, but two forms of alternate media are available to help meet your specific requirements:

The retail package product ships on DVD with 32-bit edition software, but two forms of alternate media are available to help meet your specific requirements:

isent that 32 bit? or does it also come with 64..
Old 04-14-07, 05:50 PM   #4
grey_1

I think the other alternate form is a download, but I never hunted that one down. Afaik all Vista products ship the 32bit DVD, with Ultimate being the only one that ships with both 32 and 64bit.

I may be wrong as I've have no fun keeping track of all the available packages.

If you still haven't ordered, be careful of which upgrade you buy, as some aren't compatible with certain earlier versions.

If you get the full install you should be all set.
Old 04-14-07, 06:40 PM   #5
Elaskoard

Quote:
I think the other alternate form is a download, but I never hunted that one down. Afaik all Vista products ship the 32bit DVD, with Ultimate being the only one that ships with both 32 and 64bit.

I may be wrong as I've have no fun keeping track of all the available packages.

If you still haven't ordered, be careful of which upgrade you buy, as some aren't compatible with certain earlier versions.

If you get the full install you should be all set.

got home premium atm.. maybe its just easyer to get ultimate from a local store... lol.. a bit more expensive.. but... dunno :P
Old 04-14-07, 08:47 PM   #6
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaskoard
got home premium atm.. maybe its just easyer to get ultimate from a local store... lol.. a bit more expensive.. but... dunno :P
LoL, yes, a bit rich for me. I didn't really see anything in Ultimate I needed, so far Home premium is pretty good.

Edit: Just remembered - if you already have Home Premium you should be able to upgrade off your disc using 'upgrade anytime'?
Old 04-15-07, 05:44 PM   #7
Elaskoard

Quote:
LoL, yes, a bit rich for me. I didn't really see anything in Ultimate I needed, so far Home premium is pretty good.

Edit: Just remembered - if you already have Home Premium you should be able to upgrade off your disc using 'upgrade anytime'?
hmm, what you mean? i can upgrade to 64 via "upgrade anytime" thing ? (or whatever it is :P )
Old 04-15-07, 06:20 PM   #8
grey_1

I meant upgrade to Ultimate. Afaik one can't uprade from 32bit to 64bit. It has to be a clean install. I think.

Old 04-15-07, 06:25 PM   #9
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:

If you're going to go multi-proc anytime in the near future, you're going to have to upgrade

Ultimate is the only consumer o/s that supports a multi-cpu config.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-07, 07:14 PM   #10
Mangler
DRM is your friend

Anyone know if ms ships a new key if you use the method described if the second post, or does the "32bit key" work for both versions?
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-07, 07:38 PM   #11
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler
Anyone know if ms ships a new key if you use the method described if the second post, or does the "32bit key" work for both versions?
The 32bit key works for it. The catch is that it's still considered one OS registered to you.

I've been using the 64bit for a couple days now, but before I activate it I'll be wiping the 32bit version off my other hdd.
Old 04-15-07, 07:41 PM   #12
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar
If you're going to go multi-proc anytime in the near future, you're going to have to upgrade

Ultimate is the only consumer o/s that supports a multi-cpu config.
? Do you mean 2 physical cpus as opposed to 2 cores on one Sazar? Task manager shows 2 procs right out of the box for me. I assumed Vista saw and utilized both cores as I can also set affinity.