Go Back   nV News Forums > Website Related > Feedback Forum

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-18-07, 12:13 PM   #37
nemecb

Default Re: Is it really necessary to allow nude avatars?

Personally I'd like to see the avatars cleaned up a little. Some of them are over the top IMHO. And no, I don't want to turn off all avatars. Maybe if I could do it easily on a per user basis, but as it is it was a pain to block the ones I have and every time someone changes theirs I'm going to have to update my block list.

There's really no good reason for them that I can see. We've got the babe thread already and it's got a lot higher res versions than a tiny little avatar.

That said I doubt anything is going to change. It's too hard to police that sort of thing (for instance, Darth Beavis' avatar - disgusting, but inappropriate?).
nemecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-07, 06:25 PM   #38
GamerGuyX

You know I've been thinking, when people can't come to terms on things they usually come to a compromise right? Right. This is exactly why I fail to understand the whole arguement in the first place. The way everything is set up now is exactly that, a compromise. People that don't like the "risqué" avatars have the option to turn avatars off. People that aren't against it don't have to do anything.

So if we get rid of the "risqué" avatars then how is this whole thing a compromise? Hence, my comments about only thinking about yourselves.

[url="http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&t=35216"]Folding for Team# 35216 : NvNews + OSNN + SP[/URL]
GamerGuyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-07, 06:35 PM   #39
nemecb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGuyX
People that don't like the "risqué" avatars have the option to turn avatars off.
Which removes all avatars, and as I said before is not desirable either. I could just stop coming to the site too, but that's not a solution I'm happy with because it's overkill. No need to throw out the baby with the bathwater. I like some of the avatars here.

And while we're on the topic of compromise, why do people need to have these avatars in the first place? There's the babe thread with higher res versions if they want to look at mostly naked women, so why do they need to have them in their avatar? Seems there are legitimate alternatives available for both sides.

In any case, I'm content at the moment because I've removed all of the avatars that would likely get me in trouble and I don't really expect anything to be done so I'm not going to stress about it.

It occurs to me that I just restated my entire last post. Oh well.
Old 04-18-07, 06:37 PM   #40
GamerGuyX

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemecb
And while we're on the topic of compromise, why do people need to have these avatars in the first place?
People don't need a reason. People have other interests. Who are you to judge me or anybody else here?

[url="http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&t=35216"]Folding for Team# 35216 : NvNews + OSNN + SP[/URL]
Old 04-18-07, 07:01 PM   #41
nemecb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGuyX
People don't need a reason. People have other interests. Who are you to judge me or anybody else here?
Do the last two sentences of that post relate to what I said at all? I'm not judging anyone and I don't see what people's other interests have to do with these avatars. I'm simply asking why it's a big deal for people to keep their avatars family-friendly. I have no problem with the pictures themselves, heck I peruse the babe thread all the time, but I'd prefer they be kept to the babe thread so I don't accidentally come across them at an awkward time. I don't see this as particularly unreasonable.
Old 04-18-07, 07:17 PM   #42
GamerGuyX

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemecb
Do the last two sentences of that post relate to what I said at all? I'm not judging anyone and I don't see what people's other interests have to do with these avatars. I'm simply asking why it's a big deal for people to keep their avatars family-friendly. I have no problem with the pictures themselves, heck I peruse the babe thread all the time, but I'd prefer they be kept to the babe thread so I don't accidentally come across them at an awkward time. I don't see this as particularly unreasonable.
I'm still of the opinion that if there is a chance of viewing the pics at an awkward time that you should turn the avatars off. That doesn't seem any more unreasonable than people having to get rid of those avatars altogether. Why should people have to censor their avatars if the avatar is a reflection of them and their interests? I have no problem with people expressing themselves.

Old 04-24-07, 04:33 PM   #43
rev.

I turned off avatars day one I registered at NVNews

LOL and it looks like I havent missed anything major:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mag
WTF is up with the rash of naked fatman avatars?

Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.1 ghz | MSI P6N-SLI Platnium(650i) | TuniQ Tower 120
4gb Coursair DDR2 6400 @ 4-4-4-12 | BFG 8800 GTX | XiFi - Extreme Gamer
2x WD 250gb 7200rpm HDD RAID-0 | Fortron Source group 600 watt
Antec Ninehundred case | Saitek Eclipse keyboard |Acer 24" HD WS LCD

[My Heatware]
rev. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-07, 12:14 AM   #44
GamerGuyX

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev.
I turned off avatars day one I registered at NVNews

LOL and it looks like I havent missed anything major:

Surprised you have made it this far in life seeing as how you get quesy over soemthing like that.

Old 04-26-07, 01:57 AM   #45
mullet

lmfao @ this thread, I was bored so I read stuff I never post in. Nude AV's make the world a better place. Slippie had the best one till he changed it to balloon butt av.
Old 04-26-07, 02:38 AM   #46
SLippe
R.I.P. Babe Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allaahu_Akbar
Zip....... Thats all I have to add. If the admin of the site says my avatar is unsuitable i'll take it down. Till then i'll keep it for a while.
Ditto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullet
lmfao @ this thread, I was bored so I read stuff I never post in. Nude AV's make the world a better place. Slippie had the best one till he changed it to balloon butt av.
Tada!
SLippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-07, 03:58 AM   #47
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Haha. Wow, I didn't know so many people offend so easily. Either way it doesn't bother me and it doesn't seem to bother MikeC, it's his forum so I guess ass avatars are ok for now.

As for the work issue, believe me (I know), Turn off avatars althogether, it's not worth the risk. As I only browse from home, then I say "Love the avatars SLippe and Akbar!"
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-07, 04:44 AM   #48
stncttr908

Send a message via AIM to stncttr908

While I'd prefer to see them cleaned up slightly, I have to agree that the best option is to just turn them off.
PC - | Core i7-2600K @ stock | Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 | 4GB Patriot Sector 5 DDR3 | Galaxy GTX 460 1GB @ stock | Corsair Force 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200RPM | 320GB Seagate 7200.10 | 2x Seagate 500GB USB 2.0 | Lite-On 20x SATA DVD+RW | Silverstone TJ-09 | Corsair 620W PSU | Logitech Z-5500s | Sennheiser HD-570 headphones | Samsung 2494LW |

Laptop - | Dell Inspiron 1420 | C2D T7300 (2.0GHz, 4MB cache) | 2GB DDR2-667 | 160GB 7200RPM HDD | DVD +/- RW | 14.1" WXGA+ (1440x900) | Broadcom 802.11g | NVIDIA 8400M GS 128MB |
stncttr908 is offline   Reply With Quote