Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-17-07, 03:33 AM   #1
ellarsee

Default Bringing things back to "base"?

I've got a pair of 7300GS video cards in my home system (ASUS P5B deluxe M/B) and a pair of ViewSonic LCD monitors that I run off the DVI. I got the system working with XP, with kubuntu 6.10 and finally with Fedora core 6.

My old desktop system died, and on a lark, I plugged the CRTs into the VGA connectors, fired up nvidia settings and clicked the detect displays button, but didn't click the configure X button. When I rebooted, the system was hosed, even though I don't think xorg.conf was changed. I tried various things to bring it back to the base installation, but it was seriously wedged. I finally gave up, reinstalled FC6 (i386) and am doing the yum update per the instructions for recent distributions, right now.

It almost seems as if there are two independent configuration programs. That nvidia-settings sets something on the video card, but it may, or may not change /etc/X11/xorg.conf. If I wedge things badly, is there an easy way of bringing everything back to the base system?

On a related note. There are times when it would be nice to run four monitors (two LCDs on the DVI and two CRTs on the VGA connectors). Is there an easy way to change between the two? Can I just swap in two different xorg.conf files? Or do I need to run nvidia-settings to frob something on the two video cards?

Just as I posted this, it occured to me to wonder if nvidia-settings also had a command line mode, and it seems to. Can it be run in commandline mode even if X won't start? Does it hold the secret to switiching between 2 and 4 monitors (albeit with a restart of X?)
ellarsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-07, 12:25 PM   #2
pe1chl

Default Re: Bringing things back to "base"?

xorg.conf contains the basic configuration of the X server, like what keyboard, mouse and videocard to use, where to find the fonts, what optional plugins to load, etc.
It also describes the monitors and modes they can operate in (resolution and refreshrate).

nvidia-settings traditionally controls a different class of parameters, like the color gamma, "digital vibrance", sync to vblank, etc. They are more specific to the nvidia cards.
However, the latest versions have added a Windows-like GUI that allows control over the monitor configuration that was traditionally defined in xorg.conf. This new addition allows certain changes in configuration without having to restart the X server, similar to what "RandR" (resize and rotate) allows for a single display.

To find out what is wrong with your system, you can start it in textmode. This is often possible from the bootmanager screen, either with a clearly indicated menu selection, or by inputting the boot commandline option "3" (add a 3 at the end of an existing commandline, separated from other options by a space)
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote