Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-14-07, 09:52 PM   #1
Arihn

Default Looking to buy new HDTV...

Hello,

I currently own a 46" Sony Wega rear projection tv. I am interested in upgradin to a plasma or LCD set. Can anyone fill me in on the advantages/disadvantages of 1080p compared to other resolutions? Also, let me know if it is worth the extra cash....Thanks!

-Andy
Arihn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 03:35 AM   #2
Arihn

Default Re: Looking to buy new HDTV...

wow....thanks for the help?
Old 04-16-07, 05:11 AM   #3
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Well, it's all about how far you sit from the TV. If you have a big screen and sit very close to it, 1080p is the way to go, but after a distance(let's call it X), your eye won't be able to make out the differece between 1080p and 720p anymore.

There isn't much material available in 1080p yet, except for movies that is, so if you don't plan on buying a lot of HD-DVDs or Bluray discs, you won't benefit from the extra pixels.

1080p won't be supported for broadcast in a while, as it requires(dare I say it?) almost too much bandwidth. So we're going to be *stuck* with 720p or 1080i signals for quite some time yet.

A 1080p capable TV is also more future proof than a 720p one. And 1080i looks pretty awesome on a 1080p TV, and it's better suited for a HTPC.

So what I think you should do is measure the distance between the place where you'd place the TV, and where you'll be sitting.

Then go to a store and look at both 720p and 1080p material to see if you can spot the difference(approx. at the distance you measured earlier). If not, then you can save a buck or two by buying a 720p TV, otherwise you'd be better off with a 1080p TV.

Plasmas have a much better pic than LCDs imho, that's only quality ones though, and you'd have to pay a very hefty price for a 1080p Pioneer or Panasonic.

So just get an LCD, it's not worth the hassle with plasmas(burn-in, colours fading after time etc.) even though they might have a better picture quality.

Hope this answered your questions!
Old 04-16-07, 10:42 AM   #4
darkrider01
A little rough at first

Talking Re: Looking to buy new HDTV...

I recently purchased the Sony 40" 1080p LCD. It's pretty amazing. It looked way better than anything else we saw at the local Bestbuy. I didn't compare it to any plasmas as I was looking specifically for a 40" 1080p TV. It works pretty well as a monitor, though the VGA D-sub input only allows for 1366x768. However, the HDMI and Component allow for full 1920x1080. I purchased the 1080p over a 768p/720p set as I didn't want to ever be able to say to myself "I should have gotten the 1080p". I wanted the piece of mind of knowing that I'm set throughout the Blu-ray/HD-DVD phase, and that I will always see those movies in their full glory.

Sony KDL40V2500 40" 1080p TV at BESTBUY

As a side note, I still think that my Panasonic projector looks better than any TV set I have seen. 9' x 5' screen 4TW!
School Bus - Intel i7 4770K * ASRock Z87 Extreme6/AC * EVGA GTX 590 * Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB 2400MHz DDR3* Alienware TactX Keyboard * RAZER Mamba * Pioneer DVR-212D * Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD * 10+TB Other Storage * Ultra X3 1000W PSU * Dell U2913WM * Beats by Dr. Dre headphones * Klipsch Promedia 2.1 * Cooler Master HAF XB * Cooler Master Hyper N520 * Windows 7 Ultimate
Mass Transit - Xeon E3-1275 V2 * G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 * EVGA GTX660 * Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD * Seagate Momentus XT 750GB * Dell 2001FP * Viewsonic VX2250 * Creative X-Fi Surround 5.1 * Windows 7 Ultimate
RV - Alienware M18x * i7 2670QM * Dual 560 GTX * 1.25TB Storage * Windows 7 Ultimate
Van by the River - Panasonic PT-AX200U * Homebrew 9' x 5' screen * Pioneer VSX-1121-K * Bose Acoustimass 6 * Velodyne VX10 Subwoofer * PS3/Xbox/Xbox360/Wii/WiiU/DirecTV HR22
Packin HEAT
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 11:11 AM   #5
ad hoc
My spoon is too big...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arihn
Hello,

I currently own a 46" Sony Wega rear projection tv. I am interested in upgradin to a plasma or LCD set. Can anyone fill me in on the advantages/disadvantages of 1080p compared to other resolutions? Also, let me know if it is worth the extra cash....Thanks!

-Andy
What are you going to be doing with the LCD/Plasma that you weren't doing with your reap projection?

I'm asking this because you aren't going to be "blown away" if your Wega is already HD. Other people disagree when it comes to HTPC usage, and I'm not the person to ask because my experience is practially null. However, in my opinion, for games and movies you cannot do better for the size/color reproduciton/price as a LCoS or DLP projection TV. LCD/Plasma do offer practical advantages because they are physically small, but they are more expensive and use more power.

As far as resolutions go (and not talking about HTPC stuff) I would say, generally, that if you have a TV which is less than 50", you do not need 1080p. You just won't see the difference in real-life scenarios. Ultimately, however, the best thing to do is to go out and look at several TVs. Find the right size TV that you want, and the right technology that will fit your needs, then choose on resolution when you are looking at the differences side by side at a given distance (i.e. your sitting distance at home). I wouldn't buy 1080p just because it's "future proof"; because there's always something on the horizon.

BTW, be careful at stores when you are comparing TVs. It's fairly safe to say that all TVs are improperly calibrated (it's also safe to say that a TV out of the box is not calibrated). You should have your own media to bring, and hopefully you are able to tune the TVs to some general level before comparison.
Old 04-16-07, 11:23 AM   #6
superklye

Quote:
wow....thanks for the help?
What were you expecting? Why did you register at a computer hardware forum with the sole reason of getting a TV recommendation. Why not go to a site that is devoted to home theaters?

This is a site dedicated to NVIDIA and their associated products. The Home Theater forum is just a small subforum to help keep associated topics together and from cluttering up the general discussion forum.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 12:39 PM   #7
J-Mag
Weapon of MassConsumption

I just saw all the buzz about the Samsung 81 series local dimming LED panels. Supposedly these babies will be out in June. The one on the right is the local dimming LED panel, the one on the left is standard ccfl.

I hate this. I feel like every time I have about made up my mind on an HDTV something else is on the horizon. It's like they want me to have my CRT's forever.
J-Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 07:16 PM   #8
Arihn

Before I answer your questions I appreciate your input. I am relatively, or *completely* new to these types of forums and I apologize if my post was not informative enough. I will attempt to give you an idea of what I use my TV for. I enjoy playing video games, I own an xbox 360. However, I do not know if I want to invest another 1000+ on a PS3 (console, controllers, games, etc...) I enjoy having the TV in my bedroom because I am a college student and I spend alot of time in my room. Therefore my viewing distance is close, ranging from 4-8 feet. I am not concerned with using the TV as a computer monitor.

I would appreciate it greatly if you might be able to come up with some ideas as to what might suit my needs best. I am interested in LCD's (1080p, 1080i, 720p, etc..., plasmas,and DLP projection TV's).

Thanks so much,

Andy

Old 04-17-07, 09:32 AM   #9
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Before I answer your questions I appreciate your input. I am relatively, or *completely* new to these types of forums and I apologize if my post was not informative enough. I will attempt to give you an idea of what I use my TV for. I enjoy playing video games, I own an xbox 360. However, I do not know if I want to invest another 1000+ on a PS3 (console, controllers, games, etc...) I enjoy having the TV in my bedroom because I am a college student and I spend alot of time in my room. Therefore my viewing distance is close, ranging from 4-8 feet. I am not concerned with using the TV as a computer monitor.

I would appreciate it greatly if you might be able to come up with some ideas as to what might suit my needs best. I am interested in LCD's (1080p, 1080i, 720p, etc..., plasmas,and DLP projection TV's).

Thanks so much,

Andy
At that distance you would be better off with a smaller screen, so that you wouldn't have to move your eyes around all the time in order to take in all the action that's going on on the screen. So I'd recommend a 32"(720p) or 37"(1080p) LCD. Keep in mind that most xbox360 games will need some scaling, which makes the image a bit more "unsharp". This is especially important when viewing sd-tv material, as artefacts can sometimes appear on the screen(the screen needs to fill out the extra pixels of the TV, in order to get a full-sized picture, to match the broadcast and sometimes it doesn't do a very good job).

Projection TVs have a very good picture quality but most often lousy vertical viewing angles(for best img. quality they should be on approx. eye-height).
And they're BIG, clumsy and very heavy. They are a bit cheaper, but you can't hang them on your wall! New bulbs also cost a fortune.

Plasmas have a better image quality than LCDs, but when it comes to price and problems, LCDs blows them away. So do yourself a favour and skip plasmas(if you don't plan on getting a 42"+ screen that is!).

LCDs are cool, small and don't draw as much power as plasmas. So I'd say go with an LCD, preferably a Panasonic(they only make 26-32inchers, but they have a very good image quality), a SHARP or a Sony(don't buy the ones with U's in the name!).

The reason why I recommended the smaller screen is simply because it will cost you less and won't cause as much trouble as a big screen. It will also help you take in the whole scene without having to move your eyes around, as I mentioned earlier. You see, your eyes always focus on one spot, and your brain will mostly concentrate on that spot only, causing you not to "notice" or see the things going on at the sides of your vision. Don't believe me? Try putting up three fingers and move them around, keeping your eyes looking straight forward. You'll notice that it will get pretty hard to see how many fingers you're holding up, as you move your fingers towards the end of your field of vision.

Newer LCDs also have a new 100Hz feature, which is mostly marketing bull****, but definitely noticable when playing games and it won't cost you much extra.