Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-18-07, 09:16 AM   #1
consumed

Question Did I buy a good computer for gaming?

Last week I bought a new computer from a local store near me. I told the guy I wanted a gaming machine that would last me a few years. Can you tell me if I got a good deal for what I paid? The computer cost me about $1800 taxes in. I did not get speakers, a monitor or keyboard/mouse with it, just the computer it self. I want to play Call of Juarez, Rainbow Six Vegas and the new one coming out Crysis.

Intel Pentium D 2.8GHz Dual Core Processor 800MHz FSB 4MB Cache
A Ninja Heatsink? It's really big and has no fan.
Asus P5B with 16x PCI-Express Slot
2GB DDR2 667MHz Syncmax Ram (I think the guy said it's actually 2x1GB?)
BFG 8800GTS 320MB OC2 PCI-E
SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS
80GB Western Digital 8MB Cache 7200RPM IDE 133
LG 18X DVD-RW IDE
Black Case, Front USB/Audio and 9-1 Memory Card Reader
OCZ 450Watt Mod Stream? Power Supply
consumed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-07, 09:24 AM   #2
DiscipleDOC

Default Re: Did I buy a good computer for gaming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by consumed
Last week I bought a new computer from a local store near me. I told the guy I wanted a gaming machine that would last me a few years. Can you tell me if I got a good deal for what I paid? The computer cost me about $1800 taxes in. I did not get speakers, a monitor or keyboard/mouse with it, just the computer it self. I want to play Call of Juarez, Rainbow Six Vegas and the new one coming out Crysis.

Intel Pentium D 2.8GHz Dual Core Processor 800MHz FSB 4MB Cache
A Ninja Heatsink? It's really big and has no fan.
Asus P5B with 16x PCI-Express Slot
2GB DDR2 667MHz Syncmax Ram (I think the guy said it's actually 2x1GB?)
BFG 8800GTS 320MB OC2 PCI-E
SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS
80GB Western Digital 8MB Cache 7200RPM IDE 133
LG 18X DVD-RW IDE
Black Case, Front USB/Audio and 9-1 Memory Card Reader
OCZ 450Watt Mod Stream? Power Supply
IMO, you could have got one with those same specs a bit cheaper than $1800. Did you get a monitor with that?

EDIT: I just read that you didn't. Honestly, I think you spent more than you should for the hardware.

Another big problem I see is with your power supply.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-07, 09:32 AM   #3
consumed

I probably should have gotten a second quote before I game him the go ahead, but I guess I have it now. Are the specs good though? Like will it last me for a few years? And what about the power supply? Should I have gotten a better one? I just left most of the decisions with him, I told him I wanted a dual core gaming computer that could handle first person games with high settings. Well, my cousin told me to ask for one of the 8800 Video Cards, and also make sure he put in 2GB of ram but other than that, the store owner put in what he thought I needed.

Also, for what I got, how much should I have paid?
Old 04-18-07, 09:43 AM   #4
a_big_burger

I see two problems here:

1) Intel Pentium D 2.8GHz ? Why he gave you this? Core 2 Duo is much much faster and is cheap now. Pentium D cosumes more power for much less performance. Pairing with 8800 GTS, it is like paring a fancy sports car with Honda Civic engine. (oh, well, at least Civic engine cosumes less gass....)

2) Power supply is weak for 8800 GTS

If you are not into overclocking the CPU, you don't need the fancy heatsink, stock heatsink will be fine.

For $1800, you can get a decent conroe chip with 8800GTs.
a_big_burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-07, 09:48 AM   #5
consumed

How much is a Conore or Core 2 Duo? Is that the same as the Pentium D Dual Core? For the Pentium D 2.8Ghz CPU he charged me $289 and took $20 off for a discount.

As for the power supply, when I picked it up, he said he installed a "name brand" power supply that would be sufficent for what he installed. On the invoice is says the OCZ cost $149.00
Old 04-18-07, 10:00 AM   #6
DRen72
Eastern Pipistrelle

Quote:
How much is a Conore or Core 2 Duo? Is that the same as the Pentium D Dual Core? For the Pentium D 2.8Ghz CPU he charged me $289 and took $20 for a discount.
Let me point you to Pricewatch.com
That same CPU can be had for $99.00 online there. Quite simply you got owned pretty hard. You should never do business with them again regardless. To me, being overcharged this badly is quite simply dishonesty. Sadly, small PC shops owned by individuals often overcharge greatly for service and systems. The big chains or even better, online shops are the best places for deals.

The most expensive part you were sold is the 8800GTS. I sometimes build and sell PC's to people I know on the side through word of mouth, and I would have probably priced a similar rig to you for no more than $1000.00...in fact it may have been more like $800.00 and even that is making profit.

Even so, you said you wanted to play games like Call of Juarez, Rainbow Six Vegas and Crysis. With the 8800GTS you should be able to play them, but the CPU will hold you back a great deal.
Storage: Corsair Force Series GT 265GB SSD / Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB / Two Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB drives
Optical Storage: Pioneer BDR-206DBKS
Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi / Logitech Z-5500
Other: Antec P183 Case / Corsair AX-1200 Power Supply / Logitech G5 (v2.0) / Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
Console: XBox 360 Elite
DRen72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-07, 10:00 AM   #7
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

I dont know about the exact prices , but most of the specs are good expect for the CPU & PSU.
i think a Core 2 Duo E6400 would not cost that much & yet has superior performance to the Pentium D.

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-07, 10:04 AM   #8
consumed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRen72
Let me point you to Pricewatch.com
That same CPU can be had for $99.00 online there. Quite simply you got owned pretty hard. Was this a "friend" or a dealer? You should never do business with them again regardless. To me, being overcharged this badly is quite simply dishonesty.
The more retailers I visit online, the more I'm thinking this guy took me for a ride. The guy is a dealer, he owns a small shop down the road from where I live. I bought from him because he's close and has been there for a few years. It seems for the same price that I paid $289, I could have gotten even a Pentium D 3.4GHz, or even one of those Core 2 Duos being mentioned.
Here's a breakdown of the invoice and I was wrong, 1800 was before tax, it was $1782 + taxes:

Pentium D 2.8Ghz $289
Asus P5B Motherboard $199
2GB Ram DDR2 $289
Geforce 8800GTS 320MB Video Card $579
Creative Labs Audigy $129
OCZ Power Supply $149
80GB Western Digital $89
LG DVD Burner $69

The case was not listed so I suppose maybe it was a gift...

Old 04-18-07, 10:08 AM   #9
ViN86

Quote:
The more retailers I visit online, the more I'm thinking this guy took me for a ride. The guy is a dealer, he owns a small shop down the road from where I live. I bought from him because he's close and has been there for a few years. It seems for the same price that I paid $289, I could have gotten even a Pentium D 3.4GHz, or even one of those Core 2 Duos being mentioned.
call him up and tell him to switch it. did you already pay?

if you didnt pay, it's not like you signed a contract or anything. so demand better parts and demand for him to quit lying.

tbh, the only part that isnt up to spec is the CPU. switch it over to a Core 2 Duo and youll have a nice gaming rig for a while

(also, look into getting a higher rated power supply)
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-07, 10:11 AM   #10
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
That's what really bug me. I hate that people with a little tech savvy, screw people that don't. I really do wish people like the one that (sold you the hardware) would get put in check.

Consumed, I hate to say it, but you really should have asked for some advice before you shelled out $1800. You should have done hours of research before you spent that kind of money.

Lessons like that are hard to learn, but also hard to forget.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-07, 10:27 AM   #11
consumed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86
call him up and tell him to switch it. did you already pay?

if you didnt pay, it's not like you signed a contract or anything. so demand better parts and demand for him to quit lying.

tbh, the only part that isnt up to spec is the CPU. switch it over to a Core 2 Duo and youll have a nice gaming rig for a while

(also, look into getting a higher rated power supply)
Yeh, I already picked up the computer, I've been using it for the last few days.
Old 04-18-07, 10:33 AM   #12
a_big_burger

Pentium D 2.8Ghz $289????
I feel very sory for you! You can buy E6600 (Core 2) for about the same price in TigerDirect.com with about 40% performance increase.
a_big_burger is offline   Reply With Quote