Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-18-07, 07:42 PM   #37
consumed

Default Re: Did I buy a good computer for gaming?

Well I went back with my cousin this evening but I didn't get much further. I made him go to newegg.com and showed him what the Pentium D 2.8 sells for but he didn't seem to care. I told him if I could not get a refund wihtout having to pay the 25% restocking fee I would have his store reported. In the end though, he told me that I had accepted the computer and terms and the prices when I picked up the computer. He said he would be willing to replace the CPU with a E6300 2MB CPU, but he would have to charge me $40 because now he would have a used Pentium D cpu in which he said he can't sell.
I don't think it's really worth returning the computer and taking that big of a hit. A second option might be through a friend who offered to take the Pentium D off me for $90 and then I could buy on of those faster Core 2 Duo CPU's.
consumed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-07, 07:59 PM   #38
Lfctony

Quote:
Originally Posted by consumed
Well I went back with my cousin this evening but I didn't get much further. I made him go to newegg.com and showed him what the Pentium D 2.8 sells for but he didn't seem to care. I told him if I could not get a refund wihtout having to pay the 25% restocking fee I would have his store reported. In the end though, he told me that I had accepted the computer and terms and the prices when I picked up the computer. He said he would be willing to replace the CPU with a E6300 2MB CPU, but he would have to charge me $40 because now he would have a used Pentium D cpu in which he said he can't sell.
I don't think it's really worth returning the computer and taking that big of a hit. A second option might be through a friend who offered to take the Pentium D off me for $90 and then I could buy on of those faster Core 2 Duo CPU's.
Report the SOB...
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-07, 08:52 PM   #39
a12ctic

Yeah, report him to the BBB, thats totally unfair, this guy is a joke, I'd also get him run in the local paper, especialy if you live in a small town.
Old 04-18-07, 09:06 PM   #40
Slammin

Quote:
Last week I bought a new computer from a local store near me. I told the guy I wanted a gaming machine that would last me a few years. Can you tell me if I got a good deal for what I paid? The computer cost me about $1800 taxes in. I did not get speakers, a monitor or keyboard/mouse with it, just the computer it self. I want to play Call of Juarez, Rainbow Six Vegas and the new one coming out Crysis.

Intel Pentium D 2.8GHz Dual Core Processor 800MHz FSB 4MB Cache
A Ninja Heatsink? It's really big and has no fan.
Asus P5B with 16x PCI-Express Slot
2GB DDR2 667MHz Syncmax Ram (I think the guy said it's actually 2x1GB?)
BFG 8800GTS 320MB OC2 PCI-E
SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS
80GB Western Digital 8MB Cache 7200RPM IDE 133
LG 18X DVD-RW IDE
Black Case, Front USB/Audio and 9-1 Memory Card Reader
OCZ 450Watt Mod Stream? Power Supply

Not even gonna bother reading the rest of this thread.

YOU GOT RAPED!
2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB Sli
2x 74GB Sata Raptor Raid0
2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II
X-FI Elite Pro
Dell U3011
Lian Li V2100B
Corsair HX1000
Slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-07, 09:29 PM   #41
Amuro
Newtype Ace

Don't ever buy from a local store, unless you really know the people running it. Order it from Dell, Gateway, etc. You can return it if you don't like it within 30 days, no questions asked.
Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P80 Black | Intel Core i7-3960X @4.3Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4 x 4GB @1866Mhz CL9 |eVGA GTX 690 Hydro Copper | Cruscial M4 512GB SATA III SSD | WD VelociRaptor 300GB | Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB | Pioneer BDR-205BK 12x Blu-ray Burner | Creative x-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Sound Card | Corsair A1200 1200W PSU

Water cooled by Koolance ERM-3K3UC Cooling System
Amuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-07, 09:31 PM   #42
Zelda_fan

You got ripped off bro.

I'd return the whole thing. Even if you get charged the 25% restocking fee, you can still buy a system that is WAY FASTER for less money.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-07, 09:34 PM   #43
Zelda_fan

Quote:
report him to the BBB. Any legitimate business allows for returns if you don't like the merchandise.
Old 04-18-07, 09:38 PM   #44
Zelda_fan

my advice:

threaten to take him to small claims court where you don't need a lawyer. He'll probably offer some sort of return deal because going to court is a big pain in the ass.

If he still doesn't do anything for you, sue him. It's the American way.

Old 04-18-07, 10:00 PM   #45
$n][pErMan
III%

Send a message via AIM to $n][pErMan

Damn.... he robbed you good. I build and sell PC's on the side... and one thing I take pride in is honesty. I know I can't build a top of the line system cheaper than someone can buy the parts online for, but I tell them that upfront and what they pay a little extra they get in return for a solid clean build and 1 years of free support on the system. Report him, I dont think u will get your money back but you will keep other people from having the same fate with this shmuck.
Intel® Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 3.51GHz (390 x 9 / 1.39v) | ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP LGA 775 Intel P965 (1236 BIOS) | OCZ GOLD 8GB (2GB x 4) DDR2 PC2-8500 Dual Channel (4-4-4-12 780Mhz/1.95V 1:1 Ratio) | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 DUAL SuperClocked 4GB (Currently @ 1240MHz Core / 7112MHz Memory) | Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS | Zalman CNPS9700 LED Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler | Samsung SSD 840 Series 256GB | ASUS ProArt 24in Widescreen LED 1920 x 1200 | Samsung DVD-RW-DL 18x Burner w/ lightscribe| SILVERSTONE OP650 ATX12V / EPS12V 650W Power Supply | AOpen 5.1 Surround sound system | Windows 7 Pro x64
100% Orthos Stable!
$n][pErMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-07, 10:42 PM   #46
methimpikehoses

Quote:
REPORT HIM. You gave him a chance to fix it, and he refused. He would have a hard time selling a Pentium D because you can get a Core2Duo instead.

Did you sign anything?

Do you know any lawyers?
Old 04-18-07, 11:06 PM   #47
Camp0rz
*BANNED*

I really don't think the topic creator can do anything. He bought the computer and understood the price. Now he is aware HE made a bad decision and the vendor is willing to accept a return for a restocking fee(one that I'm sure was written on an invoice somewhere).

What I'm saying is, topic creator made a mistake. It's all his fault, and he's gonna have to walk away from this(hopefully) now knowing it's dumb to spend 2k on something you don't really know anything about.
Camp0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-07, 11:18 PM   #48
consumed

Yeh, right on the invoice the guy pointed out I could return the computer no problem but I have to pay a 25% restocking fee... that's alot because it came to slightly over 2K with taxes in. Almost $500
It's a bad lesson to have to learn from but at this point I think I'm better just buying a new CPU because it would be cheaper than taking a $500 hit. Am I right? Well, banking on if the rest of the parts are good too? Like if I just bought a Core 2 Duo CPU, would the computer be good for a few years then?

I was thinking about taking this guy to court but then how far could I get? I did after all accept the terms and price when I picked it up, I just didn't know what I was getting and what I could have gotten for the same price. Plus is says right on the invoice that I can return it, the guy even stated it again tonight, just I have to pay that 25% retocking fee.

Life sucks sometimes.
consumed is offline   Reply With Quote