Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-19-07, 10:50 AM   #61
spaceigg
Consacrated Slacker

Thumbs up Re: Did I buy a good computer for gaming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by consumed
Better news today

I went back first thing this morning with my dad in hope we could get futher than I did with my cousin last night. When we showed up there was 1 customer already talking to the guy and so to make a scene my dad raised a stink about his prices and how much he charged me. My dad isn't too computer techy so he just went on the prices and info I showed him off newegg and what the owner charged me. He told my dad to wait while he just helped the customer and so my dad got more ticked off at the guy. My dad started to explain to the customer his rediculous 25% restocking fee, and the differences in price between what I paid and what the parts are really selling for.
When the customer started to ask the owner about his pricing and 25% it got a whole lot better. He tried to dig his way out, told my dad the prices must have just fallen... did they? and told his technician in the back to come upfront. He got his technician to swap my Pentium D to a Core 2 Duo E6400 CPU for no charge, and as well said if I bring the computer back in next week, he'll upgrade me to the 640MB Version of the 8800 I got.
So, I guess I came out a little better with persistance.
Good for you! I am happy for you!
spaceigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-07, 11:34 AM   #62
DiscipleDOC

Default Re: Did I buy a good computer for gaming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL
Thats still a rip... that amounts to maybe a $200 difference in cost.

It should run significantly better though. If you're willing to give up or you already told him that that was ok, at least you're better off than you were before.

I wouldn't have advised taking any offers though, since the price was so outrageous to begin with. For those parts he should have still given you back like $400 (and he would have still made a significant profit).
QFT. For the amount of money you've spent, he still should have given you a LCD monitor (at least a 19"), and a bigger hard drive.

I would not let up until you are satisfied. Do not let him intimidate you.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-07, 12:54 PM   #63
consumed

We're going to drop in again tonight, my dad and I and ask for a HD switch to see what I can get. I'm hoping at least for 200gigs. We could have fought it more I suppose but once the guy let up and gave me the E6400 CPU, and agreeded to switch my 8800 320MB card for the 640MB card, my dad and I sorta left it at that. I guess I should have fought it more... I don't know what I would say not if I went back again and told him it wasn't good enough.

I'll talk to my dad because maybe it would just be better to argue for a full refund and no restocking fee, or less than 10% at worst.
consumed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-07, 02:19 PM   #64
Bearclaw

Even with what he did, that's ****ing bull****. Does he have a wbesite, or a email?
Old 04-19-07, 02:41 PM   #65
Xion X2

Come on, guys. He's running a business. The object of business is to make money. It's not the store owner's fault if the customer was completely oblivious to what he was paying for--he should've done his research. He should've been on here before he bought the computer asking questions.

I don't agree with the ridiculous prices he charged the guy, but it's his right.

Dell rips people off daily, but I don't see any of you b!tching at them. Car salesmen do the same thing, but you don't buy the car from them and then return it a week later because you feel you got ripped off. You bought it, it's yours. There's no one to blame here but the kid who bought the overpriced computer.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-07, 02:46 PM   #66
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
Dell rips people off daily, but I don't see any of you b!tching at them.
that's right. Dell uses higher quality components, better return policies, doesn't gouge nearly as bad on the prices, offers the best tech support for any proprietary computer manufacturer, etc...

I built my dad an E6400 system with 2 gigs of ram and a raptor HDD and corsair PSU, Lian Li case, 650i mobo, dvd burner and when I configured a similar PC from Dell, it was only $400 more. Now granted it didn't have DDR2 800 ram or a raptor HDD, the option of a big flat panel, printer, etc for practically pocket change extra is not something I would ever see that local store owner doing. "Oh you want a 17" flat panel? That'll be $400!"
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-07, 02:50 PM   #67
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar
that's right. Dell uses higher quality components, better return policies, doesn't gouge nearly as bad on the prices
Not as bad as this guy did, but they gouge aplenty. Go check out their slick 5,500$ watercooled computer when you get a chance. And with that super-duper cooling system they managed to lock in a massive overclock of 334mHz on a Kentsfield. *LOL*

Quote:
, offers the best tech support for any proprietary computer manufacturer, etc...
*snort* Are you serious? Myself and two friends had Dells a couple of years ago and were all the time calling into their tech support hotline as a joke. We'd ask them random questions just to see if they knew the answers to them. One guy told me I couldn't upgrade my socket 478 Pentium 4 to a socket 478 Extreme Edition and that I would just have to buy a new computer from them. Guess what? I upgraded the CPU myself a couple of weeks later w/o a single hiccup, of course.

Most of the Dell company wouldn't know a computer from a toaster oven.

There was a hilarious recording on break.com a couple of weeks ago where it took a Dell rep 10 minutes to figure out how to tell a guy to power off his computer. I wish I could find it again.. it was a trip.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 04-19-07, 02:59 PM   #68
Xion X2

Here's the recording of that great Dell tech-support. *LOL*

http://www.break.com/index/dell_tech_support_moron.html

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz

Old 04-19-07, 03:00 PM   #69
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar

Quote:
Not as bad as this guy did, but they gouge aplenty. Go check out their slick 5,500$ watercooled computer when you get a chance.

*snort* Are you serious? Myself and two friends had Dells a couple of years ago and were all the time calling into their tech support hotline as a joke. We'd ask them random questions just to see if they knew the answers to them. One guy told me I couldn't upgrade my socket 478 Pentium 4 to a socket 478 Extreme Edition and that I would just have to buy a new computer from them. Guess what? I upgraded the CPU myself a couple of weeks later w/o a single hiccup, of course.

Most of the Dell company wouldn't know a computer from a toaster oven.
I never said Dell's tech support was brilliant but as someone who deals with every company's tech support on a daily basis, I can assure you that not ONCE has dell upset me, confused me, spoke in an accent that I couldn't understand or give me any type of lame excuses when I came to them with problems. And the problems with Dells where I work (US Air force) is minimal. HP, Gateway, Toshiba and IBM get called on a daily basis. None of them except IBM can build a laptop worth taking a dump on.

All these compnaies can go by when a problem arises is their little knowledge base in their computers. Those who aren't as savvy as we are obviously won't have the depth of knowledge on which cpus' go in certain sockets becuase it's not one of those common problems most pc users encounter on a daily basis.

And as far as their prices go, all this for $1100 doesn't sound like there's much gouging going on.

Intel ® Core™2 Duo Processor E6400 (2.13GHz, 1066 FSB)
Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium
20 inch E207WFP Widescreen Digital Flat Panel
2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs
250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
16x DVD+/-RW Drive
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3000
Integrated Sound Blaster®Audigy™ HD Software Edition

the system I built my dad cost the same price and his didn't come with a flat panel, audigy or vista...
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-07, 03:10 PM   #70
Xion X2

I know all about Dell's pricing, because I'm online daily undercutting it for my business. I just built a Precision 390 for right at $1,030.00 with a bigger hard drive (320GB vs 250) and faster memory (800mhz vs 667). Dell's markup? $1,697.00.

They're the same as most other businesses out there; they're trying to make money. I'm not faulting them for that, but it's just a fact. Here and there they will run specials on certain models, but for the most part their stuff is significantly overpriced. Heck, they charge you $149 just for installing a computer. That would take all of 5 minutes for any competent tech, if that.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 04-19-07, 03:49 PM   #71
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Come on, guys. He's running a business. The object of business is to make money. It's not the store owner's fault if the customer was completely oblivious to what he was paying for--he should've done his research. He should've been on here before he bought the computer asking questions.

I don't agree with the ridiculous prices he charged the guy, but it's his right.

Dell rips people off daily, but I don't see any of you b!tching at them. Car salesmen do the same thing, but you don't buy the car from them and then return it a week later because you feel you got ripped off. You bought it, it's yours. There's no one to blame here but the kid who bought the overpriced computer.
I don't buy dell stuff because I put them in the same category as this shop that robbed consumed. I remember my dell rep (from work) calling me because she wanted my authorization to up the prices on laptops we buy for our employees. I was like ? Me, my boss and the guy that orders the Dell merchandise told dell that if they increased our prices, we will go with HP and not buy anything else from them. I can't imagine the nerve of them calling me to inform me they were going to raise our prices.

The only thing that dell is good for is business servers and probably workstations. I would not dare put anything that they make in my house. Period.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-07, 04:08 PM   #72
thedude3213

Send a message via AIM to thedude3213 Send a message via Yahoo to thedude3213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan
my advice:
If he still doesn't do anything for you, sue him. It's the American way.
ROFL
GPU: 8800GT
thedude3213 is offline   Reply With Quote