Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-20-07, 12:58 PM   #85
mullet

Default Re: Did I buy a good computer for gaming?

NICE job, store owner got...
Old 04-20-07, 01:23 PM   #86
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Send a message via AIM to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via MSN to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via Yahoo to t3hl33td4rg0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
Come on, guys. He's running a business. The object of business is to make money. It's not the store owner's fault if the customer was completely oblivious to what he was paying for--he should've done his research. He should've been on here before he bought the computer asking questions.

I don't agree with the ridiculous prices he charged the guy, but it's his right.

Dell rips people off daily, but I don't see any of you b!tching at them. Car salesmen do the same thing, but you don't buy the car from them and then return it a week later because you feel you got ripped off. You bought it, it's yours. There's no one to blame here but the kid who bought the overpriced computer.
As for a business making money, while this is true, his business practices are dependent on ignorant consumers. I would rather be honest and deliver a quality product, than dealing with my conscious beating on me for ripping off real people who work hard to earn what they have... I guess some people don't have that gift/curse. When I worked in a small computer shop, I was very cheap and the owner gave me the ability to charge what I want, as long as he got his cut. I did this for two reasons.

- Customer will trust me and come back for future business.
- I will remain competitive to other shops and businesses.

And guess what, it worked? We had a progressive growth of business over the months we first started out, and we had many of the same customers come back. The plan worked and everyone was happy. It felt good to help people out and provide services that could not be had with any big-name companies. I knew customers by their names, and we always had friendly chats. It was a pleasant environment for myself and everyone. I typed personalized reports for every customer documenting the work, and kept a local database.

As for Dell, many of us know better than to buy computers from them; so there isn't much need to bitch about them all time, is there?

Intel QX9650 @ 3.83GHzXFX 780ieVGA GTX 560Ti8GB GSkill DDR800Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-ESeagate 1.5TB . 4x Samsung 2TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
....it's so clear how government makes things worse not better...
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-07, 01:45 PM   #87
Xion X2

^ It's still the business owner's right to charge whatever he likes. No one here is saying what he did was ethical--especially me. But neither is a kid bringing his dad with him to the shop and raising a stink about it in front of people and trying to run off customers. The owner probably could've had them arrested for that, in fact. In this case, the kid and his dad acted even more irresponsibly, IMO. They acted like a couple of spoiled brats that made a mistake and refused to accept the consequences of it. Now maybe things went down differently from how they've been described here; maybe the owner was a real pissant and deserved everything that he got, but from the way the situation's been described here it looks to me like the kid and his dad are just as much to blame, if not more.

The kid made the mistake of purchasing an overpriced product; he should own up to that fact and learn a lesson from it. Now what has he learned? That you can bully someone around, make threats against their business, get your daddy to cover for you, and get away with it. Yeah, good lesson learned there.

As for your business practices you listed above, I run mine by the same philosophy by not trying to jack prices up too much in order to be both fair and retain customers. But not everyone does, and that's why each individual should assume responsibility for doing their own research.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-07, 01:56 PM   #88
mullet

I agree to a certain extent, I think the owner or salesman of a PC shop is there responsibility to help and assist customers of the PC for there needs. I am all for making money but not to the level of badly taking advantaged of someone lacking the knowledge of making the right choice. The owner was a jackass for trying to pull one over on this guy bottom line. PC shops rip people off every damn day, I worked for a small PC shop and quit because the guy ripped off people and I told him he was a asswhipe for doing it. What goes around ALWAYS comes back around. I agree people should do more research but most people rely on professionals to turn to for stuff like this, like this kid did coming here and asking what you guys thought.
Old 04-20-07, 02:01 PM   #89
Quick420

Quote:
Originally Posted by consumed
Better news today

I went back first thing this morning with my dad in hope we could get futher than I did with my cousin last night. When we showed up there was 1 customer already talking to the guy and so to make a scene my dad raised a stink about his prices and how much he charged me. My dad isn't too computer techy so he just went on the prices and info I showed him off newegg and what the owner charged me. He told my dad to wait while he just helped the customer and so my dad got more ticked off at the guy. My dad started to explain to the customer his rediculous 25% restocking fee, and the differences in price between what I paid and what the parts are really selling for.
When the customer started to ask the owner about his pricing and 25% it got a whole lot better. He tried to dig his way out, told my dad the prices must have just fallen... did they? and told his technician in the back to come upfront. He got his technician to swap my Pentium D to a Core 2 Duo E6400 CPU for no charge, and as well said if I bring the computer back in next week, he'll upgrade me to the 640MB Version of the 8800 I got.
So, I guess I came out a little better with persistance.
Good work m8,I was ripped off once too when I was new to Pc's.Glad to see you got something from him.If he would have sold you the parts for what they were worth(today's,not last year's prices)it would have been cheaper and he would not have had this problem.The store owner knew he would be stuck with his pentium d's forever and I guess the crooked bastard saw you coming
2x2gb Ddr2 1066mhz 4-4-4-12 1T
3xWD WD5000AAKS 500gb/sata300/ 1xSeagate 320gb Ide(tuuunz)
X-fi Fatality Pro*ASUS VH242H 24"LCD*:::Windoze 7-64bit:::
Sony DvD/Ram-Drive
Logitech G25
3dmark06 17,898 Vantage 12,851

If the light is GREEN the trap is clean
Quick420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-07, 03:18 PM   #90
Lfctony

Quote:
I got a full refund!! My dad and I went back last night and asked for a straight out refund but the owner would not budge on his 25% restocking fee. Finally after about 20 minutes of back and forth arguing on the pricing of the parts, he agreed to give us a full refund but with a 5% restocking fee. I guess 5% is alot better than 25%, although the owner said he does not wish to deal with my dad or myself in the future.
Absolutely great mate, now you can build a much faster system for less money.
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-07, 07:30 PM   #91
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol

Quote:
I got a full refund!! My dad and I went back last night and asked for a straight out refund but the owner would not budge on his 25% restocking fee. Finally after about 20 minutes of back and forth arguing on the pricing of the parts, he agreed to give us a full refund but with a 5% restocking fee. I guess 5% is alot better than 25%, although the owner said he does not wish to deal with my dad or myself in the future.
Give us a budget, and we will give you some links to a serious gaming rig you can get @ newegg. Price cuts on the Core 2 Duo's are already ensuing and will be in full force in 2 days.

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-07, 08:33 PM   #92
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol
Give us a budget, and we will give you some links to a serious gaming rig you can get @ newegg. Price cuts on the Core 2 Duo's are already ensuing and will be in full force in 2 days.
w00t. I was just on newegg and the e6600 is down to 235! FTW.

Old 04-20-07, 09:00 PM   #93
Woodelf
I should be gaming.

That's insane, I just built my sister's with one for over $300.00 from newegg.
i7920 @ 4.0 DO - Gigabyte ud4p - g.skill trident 6x2 ddr3 2000 @1600 7.7.7.18.1 - Cogage true spirit/sythe kaze 2000 - 2x Raid "0" WD 500GB (black) - xfi fatal1ty pro - Asus 5970 900/1200 - Corsair 1000HX - Samsung px2370
Woodelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-07, 09:14 PM   #94
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodelf
That's insane, I just built my sister's with one for over $300.00 from newegg.
Ya, price cuts were planned around april 22. You should of waited man!
Old 04-20-07, 09:30 PM   #95
Woodelf
I should be gaming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw
Ya, price cuts were planned around april 22. You should of waited man!
She wanted it now. They can afford it anyway.
i7920 @ 4.0 DO - Gigabyte ud4p - g.skill trident 6x2 ddr3 2000 @1600 7.7.7.18.1 - Cogage true spirit/sythe kaze 2000 - 2x Raid "0" WD 500GB (black) - xfi fatal1ty pro - Asus 5970 900/1200 - Corsair 1000HX - Samsung px2370
Woodelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-07, 04:59 PM   #96
methimpikehoses

Quote:
Glad to hear it worked out for you!

Now hop on the Conroe price cuts!