Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-05-07, 10:09 AM   #1
Redeemed

Default Water cooling... it is really starting to spike my interest-

Okay, so it seems like everybody and their brother now has a rig with a watercooled Core2 in it. And from what I'm hearing water cooling is no longer a major hassle if you educate your self about it before using it. As such, I'm wanting to educate my self.

But I'm finding it difficult to convince myself to spend the extra $$$ and time that a water cooling solution would require. So, I was hoping I could find an "All-in-one" solution that would be maintenance and hassle free, sort of like the FreeZone.

As such I started browsing FrozenCPU.com and found this:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/24...?tl=g30c85s141

What are your guys' opinions about that cooler? Would you prefer it over the FreeZone or vise-versa? Any comments or suggestions about that cooler?

My hope is that if I got this cooler (or one like it) I would see a significant drop in temps compared to what I'm getting with air. Thus I could achieve a greater OC, and thus I would then successfully convince myself to go full-blow custom water cooling setup.

So, what do you guys think? The rig I'll more than likely use this on would be running an Athlon64 X2 6000 with an ASUS CrossHair mobo and 2GB of Corsair Dominator DDR2800 ram. Would this cooler do much for the A64 X2 6000?

Thanks for your guys' feedback!

-Edit-

After some more browsing I came upon this:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/20...?tl=g30c85s140

That looks like a stand alone cooler to me, with the option to pump water through it! I'd smack a beast of a fan on there as well. Okay, anyhow, is that a good water block for the A64 x2 6000? To me, it looks like it'd be the best block on the market, but that just might be my inexperience speaking. What are your takes on it?
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 11:01 AM   #2
Xion X2

Default Re: Water cooling... it is really starting to spike my interest-

I really don't get why you're so into these 3rd party hybrid coolers. They're all going to be about as effective/less effective as a good air cooler like the Tuniq Tower when it comes down to it, and probably more trouble/less reliable.

If you want to go water, then do it the right way. If you don't want to customize the entire setup because it seems like such a headache, then just go with a good kit like this one:

http://www.jab-tech.com/Swiftech-Ape...T-pr-3198.html

That right there is a kickass little watercooling kit that will give you much better performance than any of these hybrid coolers you keep looking at, and for a good price. If you're going to go water, then do it right. The kit even has an Apogee GT in it, which is a fantastic block for quad-cores since it provides so much coverage over the heat spreader. It'd be a great upgrade if you plan on going quad some day; these hybrid coolers you're finding just aren't strong enough and would get eaten up by the heat a quad-core will put out.

It's really not that difficult to assemble if you have any hardware sense about you. You just need to do some research beforehand and be very methodical and careful with the installation. And maintenance? Pssh. I haven't even touched mine in the last 5 months except to fill the res a little. That took about 10 minutes. There's little to no maintenance required as long as you use a good anti-corrosive and biocide upon installation so you don't get plants growing in your tubing. And I guarantee you that if you take your time and install it right that you'll be thrilled with the temps you'll see. Air or any of these hybrid coolers just can't compare.

If you do a cursory read through the stickied topics at this link then you will learn most of what you need to know:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...splay.php?f=70

What you don't get from those links, watercoolers like myself, LORD, or a # of others here would be willing to help you with. But my advice to you would be to stick to air-cooling if you don't want a real water-cooling kit.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 11:25 AM   #3
DiscipleDOC

For the rig that you're planning on, I would recommend the Freezone. I know that a lot of ppl have had problems with it, but I am one of the few that still have it running strong. I have no complaints about it.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 11:32 AM   #4
Zelda_fan

I hate to pimp my own stuff, but I'm selling a Koolance Exos Al + CPU block

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=88878

very easy to install kit for someone who is new to watercooling.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 11:39 AM   #5
vandalous
UN Spacy Pwnz Me

Send a message via AIM to vandalous Send a message via MSN to vandalous Send a message via Yahoo to vandalous

After I move and get settled down, I think I'm going to convert the rig in my sig into my non-traveling gaming rig and incorporate water cooling into it. I'll build a new rig for LAN parties and what not. I'll probably use a e6750 I've got laying around as the basis for my LAN rig.

Thanks for the links Xion.

Question for those who watercool and bring their rigs to lan parties: how does your rig handle traveling? Is there anything special you need to do?
NZXT Rogue (red) mATX case | Intel QX9550 ES @ 3000 (9x333) | ASUS P5E-VM HDMI | 4 GB Corsair TWIN2X 6400C4 (OC:1066, 5-5-12-2T) | BFG 8800GTX OC | Lite-On LH-20A1H186C Lightscribe DVDRW | Corsair VX550 PSU | Medusa 5.1 Headphones | Logitech G9 mouse & G15 v2 KB | Westinghouse L2410NM + Dell 1907FP | Vista Ultimate x64 SP1
vandalous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 11:49 AM   #6
Xion X2

The rig handles traveling very well. I've taken it on 3 trips recently. The only problem with mine is that it weighs about 80-90 lbs and is as big as a house.

But no clamps loosen or leak or anything like that from riding around in a car. The steel worm-drive clamps I use feel like they're cemented to the tubing/barb.

I used to worry about the same things before I actually built my first water-cooled PC, but when you get hands-on with this stuff you realize how safe it can be. I never worry about mine leaking. Water-cooling is like riding a bicycle. Sure you're scared the first time, but before long it's second-nature to you.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 07:17 PM   #7
Redeemed

Hmm... I do intend to get a full on custom water cooling solution some day... I guess sooner is better than never.

Thanks for those links Xion, now just to decide if I'm really wanting to go through with this or not...
Old 04-05-07, 08:25 PM   #8
buffbiff21
*B4NNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
http://www.jab-tech.com/Swiftech-Ape...T-pr-3198.html

That right there is a kickass little watercooling kit that will give you much better performance than any of these hybrid coolers you keep looking at, and for a good price.
QFT. Dont even thinkabout a freezone. great 200 dollar kit vs marginal 300 dollar freezone.

Xion, youre also forgetting that now matter how easy it is for us now, we still had to pour a considerable amount of time into reseaerching all the equipment!

It is like riding a bicycle once you have done it, but then everything is.

Old 04-05-07, 08:32 PM   #9
Redeemed

I knew you guys would tell me to forget going with that generic all-in-one cooler.

So, I guess if I do this then custom it'll be. All the way and for the mo-fetchin' win!

Now I just need to start researching I guess...
Old 04-05-07, 08:39 PM   #10
buffbiff21
*B4NNED*

Yeah. Dont be afraid to ask questions either. Were here to help

I was an h2o n00b just a few months ago.

flash forware a month from then: my knowledge had ascended.
flash forward another month...
...Right when I powered on i feld a stream of 1337ness course through my veins.

Lord knows how I will feel when I leap to phase.
Old 04-05-07, 08:52 PM   #11
Redeemed

Buff, I know this is off topic- but for the life of me I cannot figure out what your avatar is and now it is bugging me. Everytime you post something I spend atleast a minute just staring at your avatar yet I still can't figure out what it is! So... what is it???
Old 04-05-07, 09:05 PM   #12
buffbiff21
*B4NNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
Buff, I know this is off topic- but for the life of me I cannot figure out what your avatar is and now it is bugging me. Everytime you post something I spend atleast a minute just staring at your avatar yet I still can't figure out what it is! So... what is it???
Take a screencapture of my avatar, go to MS Paint,and click invertcolors.

What you will see then is a picture of Grahf's gear (Grahf is a badass villain in Xenogears for PSone that calls himself the Seeker of Power and goes around giving other villains power to kick the pansy ass hero's ass.) If you have not played the game, do so.